Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best wifi solution when you don't have super internet speeds

Options
  • 12-06-2020 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

Reviews or reports on wifi routers (incl mesh systems) always point out how one system is better than others based on the speed , typically in 100's of Mbps.

I understand that is relevant if you have 1Gbps internet connection or want to stream 8K movies through your house.

But I don't.

I just want to have a stable signal and maintain as much of my internet speed that I have ( or maybe better , need for what I do with it- which is netflix and some other SD/HD streaming, some games etc)

If I have a 40Mbps internet connection and don't need a fast LAN connection, what is the point of having a wifi network that supports 300 or 500 Mbps ?

The only thing I really need to be optimal is latency. I presume the best way would be to have a single router with a really strong signal ? rather than mesh ?

I find myself at risk of falling in a trap of buying options I don't really need.. but am I right to settle for good enough, rather than "the best" ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

You want your packets delivered as quickly as possible (less time in the air) with a good signal with little to no resending of dropped packets and no packets queueing at the router. For this you need your devices connecting at the best signal to get the fastest rates available. Devices that consume lots of data and don't move should be cabled!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

with wifi if you can be connected fast enough you'll get all of the data you need in fewer bursts, rather than a sustained connection of a slower speed. This is good for battery on phones as the wifi chip can be turned off for much longer

If you have a few devices and they're all sharing wifi which can only do for example 54mbps then you have to also contend with the fact you haven't got all the information you need in 1 burst and you have to wait for the other clients to get their small chunk, too, you'll end up increasing latency.

Most access points will be able to send signal father than your devices can return it. So really placement is more important for good signal than the power output of the actual unit.

I wouldn't look at mesh at all if you are only interested in having 40mbps speed.

What's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Cables are not an option for now- I simply don't have the will to negotiate with my wife on tearing open walls or have ducts on walls..
    I also don't consume lot of data.

I want lowest latency possible, and I guess best way is to find a single router with strong signal as opposed to a mesh system.

In fairness, current modem router I have from Imagine is covering my house , just losing a bit of signal strength - and it is not a small house , so if I invest in a router with better signal I guess that would cover my needs. Regardless of speed specifications on the router- right ?

Eg no point having an AC 2600 router with weaker signal if I can find an AC1200 router with strong signal is my thinking.

I am not into future proofing.. I find myself with all technology perfectly happy to be a couple of years behind.. I have no 4K TV , nor do I want one for example. I have a 3 year old phone model and perfectly happy with it (would probably buy the same again if this one breaks)

I will upgrade stuff when it starts impacting what I need from the technology, not because it is available or a hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

with wifi if you can be connected fast enough you'll get all of the data you need in fewer bursts, rather than a sustained connection of a slower speed. This is good for battery on phones as the wifi chip can be turned off for much longer

If you have a few devices and they're all sharing wifi which can only do for example 54mbps then you have to also contend with the fact you haven't got all the information you need in 1 burst and you have to wait for the other clients to get their small chunk, too, you'll end up increasing latency.

Most access points will be able to send signal father than your devices can return it. So really placement is more important for good signal than the power output of the actual unit.

I wouldn't look at mesh at all if you are only interested in having 40mbps speed.

What's your budget?

Budget is not really the issue. But I hate paying for stuff I don't need.. I rather spend it on travel for example :)

I don't give a monkeys about what goes on on the phones in this house, as long as my console, TVs and PCs get the best possible use of the internet I have.

If my wife's FB page needs 5 secs longer to load- I am not going to invest in that, nor if my daughters's youtube videos take a bit longer to load on her phone.. I want her to use that phone less anyway :)

I guess I should using a router where I can prioritise traffic by device - right ? Is what you're saying ?

Advertisement