Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New rear facing 1st floor window - planning

Options
  • 11-06-2020 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭

Do you need planning to add a window (1.5 x 1) to the rear of your house
    detached house with neighbor but not really overlooking

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

booooonzo wrote: »
    Do you need planning to add a window (1.5 x 1) to the rear of your house
    detached house with neighbor but not really overlooking

thanks

Distance to boundary is important.
    If it’s 11m or more I think you are exempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

Gumbo wrote: »
    Distance to boundary is important.
    If it’s 11m or more I think you are exempt.

thanks, its more like 3m from edge of window to boundary but their garden is very shallow and wouldn't over look.

house is rented and landlord not easy to deal with so might just ask the LA planning.

I just thought there may be a hard and fast rule for the rear elevation

thanks, its more like 3m from edge of window to boundary but their garden is very shallow and wouldn't over look.

house is rented and landlord not easy to deal with so might just ask the LA planning.

I just thought there may be a hard and fast rule for the rear elevation

Yep. Hard and fast rule is 11m.
    Looks like planning required.

I can only find reference to the 11m rule to do with side elevation and not the rear or maybe I am missing it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,284 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Isnt the 11m to do with the boundary the window is facing onto so a 1st floor rear facing window in a typical semi - detached house would be ok.

• Advertisement

I can only find reference to the 11m rule to do with side elevation and not the rear or maybe I am missing it
    mickdw wrote: »
    Isnt the 11m to do with the boundary the window is facing onto so a 1st floor rear facing window in a typical semi - detached house would be ok.

So the 11m rule today the side may actually
    Not matter to the rear.

If that’s the case the OP, you may be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

house is rented and landlord not easy to deal with so might just ask the LA planning
    If the landlord is not easy to deal with, how are you going to get permission to put in a window? :confused:

Lumen wrote: »
    If the landlord is not easy to deal with, how are you going to get permission to put in a window? :confused:

Sorry, poorly worded.
    The landlord who owns the house next door is not easy to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,296 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Doesn't matter whether it's side or rear, any new window above ground floor must be 11m from the boundary it faces in order to be exempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,284 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Penn wrote: »
    Doesn't matter whether it's side or rear, any new window above ground floor must be 11m from the boundary it faces in order to be exempt.

Yes but the point i was getting at is that a rear facing window doesnt have to be 11m from the side boundary of adjoining house which was possible being hinted at earlier in thread.
    Rear facing 1st floor window will be ok in many many situations due to size of back garden whereas a side facing exempt first floor window is near impossible to achieve in your typical housing estate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement