Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying cycling shoes

Options
  • 11-06-2020 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Hi. I bought a road bike a few weeks ago and want to get cycling shoes, cleats and pedals. I’m usually a size 10 in shoes and runners but with most shops closed, I can’t try them on. Should I go a size up?

Anyone who’s bought them tell me your experiences and roughly what price would shoes, cleats and pedals cost?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

most shops are open now; all retail was allowed open this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

My advice on sizing would be look at shoe you have that fit well and take note of the euro size. Use the euro size whhen ordering.
    I'm a 44 but depending on the brand that can be anywhere from a uk 9,9.5 or 10. So I always use the euro size for all shoes.

When trying them on have a soft carpet or towel under the shoes to protect them. Legally you have 14 days to return an item bought online once it's in the same condition as you received them.

Many people will order two sizes and return one.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭lissard

Definitely call to a shop otherwise you'll never be able to figure out the correct sizing. For me the shimano sizing works best and I take the same size as my normal shoes. For starting out I would recommend something like these:
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-rp1-road-shoes/

I have also bought Giro shoes and found that for me at least, they were not as good a fit. Fit is the most important thing in my eyes, everything else for shoes is secondary. For that reason alone I would say go to a shop.

Pedals should be around €40-50 and cleats less than a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Good advice above. Definitely go to a shop. I bought a pair online, too small, way to small. So had to pay shipping return and shipping out again for larger pair. Too large. I went 2 sizes up as I want to be sure they would not be too small. Unfortunately the shoes have worn really well, so I have been wearing a pair of shoes that are too big for 5 years.

One good piece of advice I got was to make sure that the main strap was wratchet closed rather than velcro, it ensures no slippage and remains durable over time. But some people like the velcro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

I have both Velcro and wratchet. No problems with either

Have found Sidi to be a small enough fit. One euro size up works for me. Have two pairs of Sidi. Both bought online. Different models, same sizes and one is a nicer fit. But you’ll get that with ordinary walking shoes too.

Trying in a shop is best but doesn’t guarantee you won’t come home with shoes that are too tight. Easier to return though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Good advice above. Definitely go to a shop. I bought a pair online, too small, way to small. So had to pay shipping return and shipping out again for larger pair. Too large. I went 2 sizes up as I want to be sure they would not be too small. Unfortunately the shoes have worn really well, so I have been wearing a pair of shoes that are too big for 5 years.

One good piece of advice I got was to make sure that the main strap was wratchet closed rather than velcro, it ensures no slippage and remains durable over time. But some people like the velcro.

Sure that Velcro is a rip off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

If it were me I’d buy two pairs on-line and return one. Agree it makes sense to try using EU shoe sizes. Shimano and Sidi shoes are generally a small fit and I size one size up with both. Cleats come with cycling pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Just bought Shimano spd shoes. Very comfortable and you can walk around in them when you get off the bike as opposed to the spd SL shoes.
    Got them in penny farthing. I take a size 10 but the shop said get an 11 and they are perfect. They fitted the peddles for free too. I got double sided Shimano peddles. One side spd, other side standard flat peddle for when not wearing the shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

byrnem31 wrote: »
    Just bought Shimano spd shoes. Very comfortable and you can walk around in them when you get off the bike as opposed to the spd SL shoes.
    Got them in penny farthing. I take a size 10 but the shop said get an 11 and they are perfect. They fitted the peddles for free too. I got double sided Shimano peddles. One side spd, other side standard flat peddle for when not wearing the shoes.

Mine were €60 I think though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I no longer use the Euro or UK sizing on Shoes anymore as it’s so inaccurate. I use the CM size which is also on the label and have found it to be accurate every time. My feet measure 27.7cm and so I always go for a shoe about 28.3-5 and get it right every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭G1032

I no longer use the Euro or UK sizing on Shoes anymore as it’s so inaccurate. I use the CM size which is also on the label and have found it to be accurate every time. My feet measure 27.7cm and so I always go for a shoe about 28.3-5 and get it right every time.

I also go by cm size.

But 28.5cm is what my foot measures and I always go for 28.5cm in the shoe I'm buying. This corresponds to a 45 in Shimano (9.5UK Shimano) but 28.5cm corresponds to a 10 UK in adidas, a 9.5 UK in Columbia etc.
    So the cm size is the only actual standard you can use, so where possible I'd use it

You had me checking my shoes and trainers there lads, a few actually do have the sizing in cm there. I never spotted that before , amazing the variation in what would be a uk 8 or EU 42 for me when looking at the ones that also have size in cm

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Measure both feet as they are often different. My right foot is 28.5 and left is 28.7. I usually go for a 45 (or 46 if a winter shoe/boot to allow room for heavier socks).

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

from a very comfy pair of Spesh shoes at 275mm, I bought a pair on Bonts with the same sizing, the shape is completely different which is what I was going for (wide feet) and they fit perfectly. If they didn't a return is in order. Use the mm sizing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

G1032 wrote: »
    I also go by cm size.

But 28.5cm is what my foot measures and I always go for 28.5cm in the shoe I'm buying. This corresponds to a 45 in Shimano (9.5UK Shimano) but 28.5cm corresponds to a 10 UK in adidas, a 9.5 UK in Columbia etc.
    So the cm size is the only actual standard you can use, so where possible I'd use it

I always go 0.5cm bigger as I’ve a wide foot and the little extra toe room generally means a slightly wider fit.

It’s ridiculous that there is no standard for shoes sizes. If a shoe is marked 44/10 then it should be a set length.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

I got a pair of Shimano SH-RP301 in white today in Cycle Superstore in Tallaght. The store is massive! I’m usually a size 10 in runners and shoes but tried these on and got size 11. Picked up pedals and cleats too so can’t to use them tomorrow morning.

It will take a bit of getting use to getting the clear locked into place and out again without falling off the bike!!

You're probably not going to fall right away as you'll be conscious of them.

Bit of practice holding on to a wall or kitchen counter or what not without looking down will help.

Look up the videos on youtube for fitting the cleats correctly and adjusting the tension so that you are happy with it.

FWIW I didn't fall off until my first long spin in them, riding around town having to stop at junctions I was super aware of getting my weaker foot out to put down when stopped. It was on my first long spin in them that I toppled over as I hadn't had to unclip in over an hour and just forgot then when I had to :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

My mate has made the move to clipless and has already fallen twice from them in about a month :D

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pjq

How can cleats cost €10- ? Amazon has phones for €18- (mind you, its not a pair of phones + 4 screws). Where can one get cleats at a fairer price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

pjq wrote: »
    How can cleats cost €10- ? Amazon has phones for €18- (mind you, its not a pair of phones + 4 screws). Where can one get cleats at a fairer price?

It can cost whatever they went when it's a proprietary design. You're paying for the shimano or look branding.
    Despite being quite fragile you still get thousands of km out of them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

My mate has made the move to clipless and has already fallen twice from them in about a month :D
    it's when you need to unclip in a hurry and panic, that you're most likely to come a cropper, i found.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭cletus

it's when you need to unclip in a hurry and panic, that you're most likely to come a cropper, i found.

Yep, out for a cycle with the kids, had just clipped in and was starting to push off, when my youngest stopped dead in front of me. I stopped to avoid hitting him, and was on my side before I even thought about unclipping

Advertisement