Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning TV to Argos for repair

Options
  • 11-06-2020 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭

Purchased a TV last year (within 12 months), and for the past couple of months it starts to switch itself off and on, loses audio, remote intermittently stops working.
    Obviously, with Argos being closed it wasn't possible to return it to store until now.

So, I have 2 issues -
    I have the box and all items that came with it, all intact. I have proof of order and proof of purchase on my bank statement but not the actual receipt, which I thought I kept in the box.
    Will this be sufficient to return it to get it repaired?

If I can return it there will be no TV in the house, so i am going to have to purchase a new one. I will have no need for 2 TVs so not sure what to do. If they give me the TV back repaired, not much I can do. If they give me a new one, can I ask for a refund on it instead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Call your local Argos and find out what their policy is and whether a bank statement will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

LowOdour wrote: »
    Purchased a TV last year (within 12 months), and for the past couple of months it starts to switch itself off and on, loses audio, remote intermittently stops working.
    Obviously, with Argos being closed it wasn't possible to return it to store until now.

So, I have 2 issues -
    I have the box and all items that came with it, all intact. I have proof of order and proof of purchase on my bank statement but not the actual receipt, which I thought I kept in the box.
    Will this be sufficient to return it to get it repaired?

If I can return it there will be no TV in the house, so i am going to have to purchase a new one. I will have no need for 2 TVs so not sure what to do. If they give me the TV back repaired, not much I can do. If they give me a new one, can I ask for a refund on it instead?

lack of receipt should not be a problem, they should be able to pull up the sale and match the transaction to the last 4 digits of your card which is stored on their systems( not the full card number)...unfortunately your not entitled to a refund, or a replacement. Argos are certainly within their rights to repair it within a reasonable time.

I would say act polite, know your rights, by all means ask for a replacement or a refund but know that they are not mistreating you by saying no.

As as aside I have always argos positive and easy to deal with compared to other electrical chains both local, UK based and Oz based :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭LowOdour

skinny90 wrote: »
    lack of receipt should not be a problem, they should be able to pull up the sale and match the transaction to the last 4 digits of your card which is stored on their systems( not the full card number)...unfortunately your not entitled to a refund, or a replacement. Argos are certainly within their rights to repair it within a reasonable time.

I would say act polite, know your rights, by all means ask for a replacement or a refund but know that they are not mistreating you by saying no.

As as aside I have always argos positive and easy to deal with compared to other electrical chains both local, UK based and Oz based :pac:

Thanks! I contacted Argos and they said bank statement will be sufficient, so will bring that in.

I understand that it will be sent back for repair, and if it gets fixed then i will accept that.

What im curious is they cannot fix it and issue me a new TV, can i ask for a refund instead? Is there anything stopping me taking new TV from store, returning the next day with unopened item and asking for refund? Something i can discuss with them tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

Thanks! I contacted Argos and they said bank statement will be sufficient, so will bring that in.

I understand that it will be sent back for repair, and if it gets fixed then i will accept that.

What im curious is they cannot fix it and issue me a new TV, can i ask for a refund instead? Is there anything stopping me taking new TV from store, returning the next day with unopened item and asking for refund? Something i can discuss with them tomorrow.

That won’t work

If they offer a replacement the ‘date of purchase’ of the new item will be the date of the original sale (when money was transacted) so you can’t return a item for a refund a year after buying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

If they need to give you a new one they might just do that - but most likely vouchers and a decent discount.

If you buy the 'Temporary TV' from them they might be more flexible. As others said, they are quite a good retailer to work with so ask nicely and see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

kenmm wrote: »
    If they need to give you a new one they might just do that - but most likely vouchers and a decent discount.

If you buy the 'Temporary TV' from them they might be more flexible. As others said, they are quite a good retailer to work with so ask nicely and see what happens.

On the temporary tv Issue, I’d doubt they’d be flexible. If they take back a used tv they need to sell it as used. Margins on tvs are tight. Your not entitled to a refund either. If you feel inclined why not,
    -buy a tv
    -sell said tv or repaired tv on daft/adverts
    -buy tv and take vouchers for a new purchase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

skinny90 wrote: »
    On the temporary tv Issue, I’d doubt they’d be flexible. If they take back a used tv they need to sell it as used. Margins on tvs are tight. Your not entitled to a refund either. If you feel inclined why not,
    -buy a tv
    -sell said tv or repaired tv on daft/adverts
    -buy tv and take vouchers for a new purchase

I meant in the case that the original TV is deemed not repairable and they are going to replace with a new one. I remember something similar happened to me with a hoover (but it was years ago, can't quite rem the details/ how old it was etc)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You will probably be able to get a smaller/older TV on a local freecycle style group FOC. I've seen anything up to 32" flat screens being dumped as they weren't full HD/looked old/whatever

Advertisement