Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't contact new manager

Options
  • 11-06-2020 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've been with the same large multinational financial company for over 3 years. My manager who I report to remotely and was based in a neighboring country has left our team and now I'm (on paper) answering to the head of the department. This was decided two weeks ago as far as I can tell. The main problem is he is in the opposite side of the world and I've only ever spoken to him once to say hello on the phone in all my time with the company.

I can't get in contact with him by phone and he's not replying to my emails. He also isn't approving any holiday requests for me through our HR portal. I'm not sure what to do ! If I take it to HR would I be shooting myself in the foot ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,765 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

durpyder wrote: »
    I've been with the same large multinational financial company for over 3 years. My manager who I report to remotely and was based in a neighboring country has left our team and now I'm (on paper) answering to the head of the department. This was decided two weeks ago as far as I can tell. The main problem is he is in the opposite side of the world and I've only ever spoken to him once to say hello on the phone in all my time with the company.

I can't get in contact with him by phone and he's not replying to my emails. He also isn't approving any holiday requests for me through our HR portal. I'm not sure what to do ! If I take it to HR would I be shooting myself in the foot ?

Reach out to some of his other employees to find out how to work with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I would reach out as per Mrs Bumbles suggestion. However after about three working days if no contact I’m escalating it to the managers manager.

Imagine you are looking to get away say next year, with family, flights going up, seats getting booked. Could end up costing you a few hundred extra between you with all the delaying.

If they are out of office there should have been an automatic reply set up to notify you, or else a manager advising of their unavailable status and whom is the acting manager for your department.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Mr.S wrote: »
    This is what your HR dept is for, raise the issue with them and let them deal with it.

That’s their job description but what they are for... to back management... escalate first, then HR.

Advertisement