Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 day week half marathon training plan

Options
  • 11-06-2020 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭

was working on a 5 day marathon plan but the body cant cope with it at the moment , just jumped into it from running maybe twice or three times a week and lasted a month before the aches and pains and tiredness and cant be bothered-ness took over..
    going to try a change in plan.. and do a half marathon block and then see how i am after it ..
    was googling for a 4 day a week half marathon plan and i didnt find a whole lot, would be great if anyone could reccomend one..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/half-marathon-training/half-marathon-3/

Strictly speaking, this program isn't 4 days, but 3 days of running with crossfit, etc. in-between. I used it before, and was using it prior to the current crisis, and found it really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

woody1 wrote: »
    was working on a 5 day marathon plan but the body cant cope with it at the moment , just jumped into it from running maybe twice or three times a week and lasted a month before the aches and pains and tiredness and cant be bothered-ness took over..
    going to try a change in plan.. and do a half marathon block and then see how i am after it ..
    was googling for a 4 day a week half marathon plan and i didnt find a whole lot, would be great if anyone could reccomend one..

Which 5 day one did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

runners world intermediate is the one i was using,
    just to put a bit of background on it, ive been either running or triathlon training for past 10 years ish, i mix it up, il get bored with triathlon and switch the next year to just running , and then switch back the following year, i was in the middle of a long distance tri training plan, 15 weeks in and having no major problems but the likelihood of the race going ahead was getting less and less ,

so i stopped that plan, took a few weeks of just doing whatever i felt like , and then i was missing working to a plan, so i figured id have a crack at a marathon plan, with the chance that there might be something small scale happening in september october time , and if not it would be a good block of training,

first 3 weeks went ok, 4th week was sore and stiff everywhere, and just lethargic and cant be bothered, figure 4 days a week will be easier, but i know from past experience 4 days a week isnt enough to train for a marathon.. so thinking about trying to improve half time instead

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sleepysue

I am new to running and have followed Hal Higdon 10k novice program and I am now half way through Base Training program. Found them both great. I will move on to his half marathon program soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Faster Road Racing has a 12 week half marathon plan where the first four weeks are 4-day weeks. The remaining weeks are 5-day weeks with the extra day either being slow recovery runs or tune up runs. It might suit. Average weekly mileage on the plan is 31 to 47 miles per week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭event

Another shout for Hal Higdon. I used his Novice 2 for my first ever marathon. Never did the cross training either, just 4 days running a week

Advertisement