Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grandad Flat

Options
  • 10-06-2020 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I'm back on Boards after many years...

The topic of granny flats (or grandad flat in my case) has been raised before, but I haven't been able to find a clear answer to my hopefully simple question.

As I understand it, in order to be an "exempted development" a granny flat needs to be less than 40 sq.m. This is the same figure mentioned with regard to any extension, so I'm wondering whether the figure for a granny flat is specifically for a flat that is entirely built as an extension.

So my question is: if a proposed granny flat consists of, let's say, 35 sq.m within the existing house structure (of which 10 sq.m is currently a garage and another 10 sq.m is a utility room) plus an additional extension at the back of the house of say 15 sq.m to make it workable, would the 50 sq.m flat be over the "exempted development" limit and therefore require planning permission? Or, since planning isn't required for internal alterations that don't alter the domestic use of the house, does the 40 sq.m limit only apply to the converted/extended floor area (25 sq.m in this case)?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,230 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Where will the entrance be?
    What LA is involved?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,085 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Technically a 'granny flat' is the construction of an attached independent living unit, with independent entrances, and not technically an extension to a house..... So therefore requires permission

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭JapanZone

Thanks for the replies.

The property is a semi-detached house in Fingal CC area. I've contacted the planning dept. but they're working remotely at the moment so arranging a pre-planning consultation will takes ages.

I've been trying to sketch out a layout whereby there would be a common main entrance (the existing front door) and then separate front doors for the two units in the house. Space is a bit tight to achieve this with minimal structural work, and a small extension to the back of the house would help. But the more I read up on it, the more it seems clear that this would need planning permission.

Okay, so let's assume it needs planning. My question is still as above - would the 50 sq.m example be within the planning guidelines as only 25 sq.m of it was technically conversion/extension? My reasoning being that converting a garage to living space counts, but turning a utility room into a second kitchenette/shower room doesn't.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

JapanZone wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

The property is a semi-detached house in Fingal CC area. I've contacted the planning dept. but they're working remotely at the moment so arranging a pre-planning consultation will takes ages.

I've been trying to sketch out a layout whereby there would be a common main entrance (the existing front door) and then separate front doors for the two units in the house. Space is a bit tight to achieve this with minimal structural work, and a small extension to the back of the house would help. But the more I read up on it, the more it seems clear that this would need planning permission.

Okay, so let's assume it needs planning. My question is still as above - would the 50 sq.m example be within the planning guidelines as only 25 sq.m of it was technically conversion/extension? My reasoning being that converting a garage to living space counts, but turning a utility room into a second kitchenette/shower room doesn't.

Standard application.
    I wouldn't waste my time with a Pre App as by the time you have one, you would have had your decision.

Your going to need OSi Maps, drawings etc for the Pre App anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭JapanZone

Gumbo wrote: »
    Standard application.
    I wouldn't waste my time with a Pre App as by the time you have one, you would have had your decision.

My thinking was that the pre-planning meeting would be a chance to get some definitive answers before deciding to hire an architect/structural engineer to draw up the plans, etc. But in the current situation, as you say, arranging that meeting would take a prohibitively long time.

We've already got some intitial input from a local architect, who says there is a definite need for this kind of development - he was thinking particularly of the idea to split the house into two flats. That route would be better long term for us but would be a lot more expensive to build and probably beyond our budget.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

JapanZone wrote: »
    My thinking was that the pre-planning meeting would be a chance to get some definitive answers before deciding to hire an architect/structural engineer to draw up the plans, etc. But in the current situation, as you say, arranging that meeting would take a prohibitively long time.

We've already got some intitial input from a local architect, who says there is a definite need for this kind of development - he was thinking particularly of the idea to split the house into two flats. That route would be better long term for us but would be a lot more expensive to build and probably beyond our budget.

It’s a standard house extension. The definable need is outlined in the cover letter.

Splitting into flats is a whole other ball game that involves fire safety Certs etc

Advertisement