Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bikepacking (credit card touring)

Options
  • 10-06-2020 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Maybe it's due to the lockdown and how small our world has become over recent months but I really feel the need to stretch out and roam somewhere on my bike.

Looking at a week or 10 days of credit card touring on my regular road bike, and there's always the option of seeing some of this wondrous isle of ours - but I'm really feeling that maybe I need to broaden my horizons.

Do any of you feel that an overseas option would be viable for Aug/Sept. timeframe - I'm thinking of possibly cycling to Rosslare and going on the ferry to Roscoff, cycling around a circular (as yet unplanned) 600/700km route over 4-5 days and then sailing back home again

What say ye, no chance, knock it on the head for this year OR yeah, why not, should be do-able ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭cletus

If you have the time, and the money in the bank, I say go for it.

I'm planning a 4 day trip around the Ardennes, but I reckon it will be next Summer with flights etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

It's definitely a thing. Lots of promo's in my inbox offering me fork bags and tailpacks and handlebar rolls.
    I'd say it'd be a mighty trip. Always amazes me how far you can go on a bike when you don't have to turn for home at the halfway point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

It's definitely doable, unless there's another outbreak and consequent breakdown. The main question is is France open for tourist business, I know others are. If not you could fly with or without bike to italy spain portugal austria and do similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

AFAIK, Brittany Ferries have stopped taking foot (and bike ) passengers from Cork at the moment but Stena (ex-Rosslare) and Irish Ferries (ex Dublin) are ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Hoping to squeeze in a few days around Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I'd be inclined to book ferry and see how things pan out.

I wouldn't be inclined to do anything too extreme(might not be great for the immune system) and I'd certainly be bringing my European Health Insurance card

https://www2.hse.ie/services/ehic/ehic.html

Maybe do a weekend test run here before heading off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭JMcL

a148pro wrote: »
    It's definitely doable, unless there's another outbreak and consequent breakdown. The main question is is France open for tourist business, I know others are. If not you could fly with or without bike to italy spain portugal austria and do similar.

France is open for tourism from next month. They have a green/orange/red coded map of regions for Covid, and the worst effects were always in the NE (draw a line from Cherbourg down to the Alps - anything north of that). It's mostly green at the moment though AFAIK, though there is always the possibility of another outbreak as thing reopen. Don't forget to consider the possibility of having to quarantine for 2 weeks coming back if that's an issue.

On the bright side, there's some lovely cycling down around Brittany and you could put together a very pleasant weeks pedalling indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

jrar wrote: »
    Maybe it's due to the lockdown and how small our world has become over recent months but I really feel the need to stretch out and roam somewhere on my bike.

Looking at a week or 10 days of credit card touring on my regular road bike, and there's always the option of seeing some of this wondrous isle of ours - but I'm really feeling that maybe I need to broaden my horizons.

Do any of you feel that an overseas option would be viable for Aug/Sept. timeframe - I'm thinking of possibly cycling to Rosslare and going on the ferry to Roscoff, cycling around a circular (as yet unplanned) 600/700km route over 4-5 days and then sailing back home again

What say ye, no chance, knock it on the head for this year OR yeah, why not, should be do-able ??

We did a trip in France in 2018. Flew to Beauvais and cycled to Biarritz and flew home. We did it early September.

France away from the tourist areas is completely dead. You will struggle to find anywhere to eat during the day, struggle to find anywhere decent to stay and generally have a very quiet time. It is also quite expensive. It was only when we hit the coast south of Bordeaux that it became easier and more pleasureable.
    If you stuck to the west coast from Roscoff it would probably be ok but I would do plenty of research if cycling in rural France.

We have gone to Spain/Portugal for years and decided to try France this once.
    We will be heading back to the Iberian peninsula next time.
    Weather is better, much better serviced and considerably cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    We did a trip in France in 2018. Flew to Beauvais and cycled to Biarritz and flew home. We did it early September.

France away from the tourist areas is completely dead. You will struggle to find anywhere to eat during the day, struggle to find anywhere decent to stay and generally have a very quiet time. It is also quite expensive. It was only when we hit the coast south of Bordeaux that it became easier and more pleasureable.
    If you stuck to the west coast from Roscoff it would probably be ok but I would do plenty of research if cycling in rural France.

We have gone to Spain/Portugal for years and decided to try France this once.
    We will be heading back to the Iberian peninsula next time.
    Weather is better, much better serviced and considerably cheaper.

Good points - we did a week in the Dolomites last Sept. but I can't see a repeat this year hence my thinking of doing a solo bikepacking week. To be honest, quiet doesn't bother me, as it also means quieter roads and more enjoyable cycling, and as long as I can get a baguette or two a day, I'm good to go !

My "plan" was to either go Cherbourg and loop around by Rennes and head back up towards Roscoff, or just do Roscoff out and back and go over to Vannes/Quimper - I'm aware that the enjoyment factor esp. in Brittany would be hugely influenced by weather but hey, I'm Irish, I'm used to cycling in the wind and rain ! That said, a week in Spain or Portugal does sound more attractive but would be more hassle to execute - I like the idea of ferry Ro-Ro and no bike boxes, flight check-ins/delay/possible damage etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

JMcL wrote: »
    On the bright side, there's some lovely cycling down around Brittany and you could put together a very pleasant weeks pedalling indeed.

Hmmmm... yeah but no but yeah but...

You'd want to have your planning done imo. I've done a bit of cycling around Brittany and if you can find the quieter roads it's lovely for sure, though no real climbing. Also the drivers are generally very good and very cognisant of cyclists. BUT. Generally speaking there's no hard shoulder at all, so when cycling at the side of the road you're often times right ON the broken yellow line, and traffic fairly shifting along with you and against you. It can actually be quite unpleasant in that regard in my experience - requiring vigilance and concentration.

But yeah, get off those busier roads and it can be wonderful, though you'd want your navigation wits about you then for sure.

A light tent might be a valuable addition to your luggage roll, if you could fit it and were amenable to roughing it a bit. It'd be a bit of insurance against COVID-closures of hotels and b+b's etc too.

Roscoff and head west would be a better idea imo than Cherbourg and down. Cherbourg down is boring even as a drive, let alone a flat, windy slog on a bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Echo that, the Cotentin peninsula has little for a cyclist. Roscoff and west Brittany much more pleasant and less crowded with arguably better weather. The anonymous motels should all be open - bed and a shower is probably all you want anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

There's always Ro-Ro to Scotland and Wales too, and you'd be across to Hull in no time from Liverpool if you wanted to spend a few days in the Netherlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

jrar wrote: »

Before the whole Covid thing, I looked at a similar route - sail from Cork to Roscoff, cycle for a few days (500ish kms) to Cherbourg and sail back to Dublin.

Due to the two extra days needed for the ferry crossings and because I wanted to economise on my annual leave, I decided to get the train to Rosslare, sail to Fishguard and cycle along the coast of Wales to Holyhead. I didn't book any accomodation as I opted to just see what happened as I went. I had planned to do this during the first week of May.

In the end it never happened due to restrictions. It could well be a runner in August but I reckon accommodation could be at a premium. September may be similar - who knows.

I've decided to leave it until next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Just a question. What do you do with your bike when you stop at accomodation? If its decent enough do you take it to the room or ask to have it stored inside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

In France, I've always had the option of bringing it to a room, as they were mostly IBIS type motels.

B&Bs in Ireland usually out the back.

Hotels in Ireland will often store it in a utility room.

The only place I ever had any problem was a B&B in Belfast, ' The Old Rectory '. They wanted me to leave it chained to their gate outside in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 GabbaTheHutt

Did a fantastic week of credit card touring in Ireland last September and I'd highly recommend it!

We booked all the hotels on Bookings.com so there was free cancellation in case anything went wrong along the way.

We planned 2 routes for each day - good weather and bad weather/tired but we went with the longer route every day.

Both of us used our road bikes, I had a seatpost carrier with 2 small panniers and a carrier top bag which was all I needed.

Took the train to Cork from Dublin and after overnight with family in Cork did:
    Day 1: Cork to Bantry -90km
    Day 2: Bantry to Waterville - 110km
    Day 3: Waterville to Inch via Glencar lake (nice 18% kicks over Ballagasheen pass with panniers!) - 100km
    Day 4: Inch to Kilkee (ferry at Tarbert) - 124km
    Day 5: Kilkee to Liscannor (with Loop Head add on) - 117km
    Day 6: Liscannor to Galway - 103km
    Train home to Dublin from Galway after an overnight and well deserved dinner:)

You have to prebook bikes on the trains as only 2 are permitted. You still have to get there early too as it isn't unheard of to get on the train and find a bike in your spot!

I would HIGHLY recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Just a question. What do you do with your bike when you stop at accomodation? If its decent enough do you take it to the room or ask to have it stored inside?
    Almost all smaller family run hotels on the European mainland will have a basement, garage, shed or some locked facility for storing bikes. In high mountain regions, most hotels will have a ski room which doubles as a bike room in summer. I've been on cycling trips to Europe on many occasions and I can't ever recall bringing a bike to my room nor do I ever recall feeling anxios about where my bike was stored.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭JMcL

fat bloke wrote: »
    Generally speaking there's no hard shoulder at all, so when cycling at the side of the road you're often times right ON the broken yellow line, and traffic fairly shifting along with you and against you. It can actually be quite unpleasant in that regard in my experience - requiring vigilance and concentration.

That's pretty much the par for the course in France I find. I've cycled in a fair few different regions and it's pretty much all the same - no margin to the road and usually a deep drainage ditch less than a meter off the pavement. In general I'd look at roads as follows:
    • A roads - motorways, so don't go there
    • N (National) roads - defacto motorways with generally 110km/h limit, while I don't think cycling on them is banned, you really don't want to find yourself on one
    • D (Departmental) - frequently busy roads with a 90km/h limit. Not the most pleasant to cycle on and I try to avoid them when I can, though it's not always possible
    • The rest - local small roads. These are the jewels to look for. Unlike here, the surfaces are usually first rate, there's usually very light traffic. Depending on the region, there can be an extensive network of these (I found this to be the case in Brittany, Loire, and around Bordeaux - less so in the Alps as there isn't a huge amount of space for roads in general)

Planning is key as you say. Komoot should probably be your friend here. I found an excellent French website last year with interesting routes, but can't find the URL at the moment - I'll come back with it if I do turn it up. Unless it's much improved over the past couple of years don't under any circumstances use Google's "cycling" directions - they're utter pants!
    Roscoff and head west would be a better idea imo than Cherbourg and down. Cherbourg down is boring even as a drive, let alone a flat, windy slog on a bike.

Yeah, I've never done it on bike, but coming out of Cherbourg doesn't look like a barrel of laughs

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Echo that, the Cotentin peninsula has little for a cyclist. Roscoff and west Brittany much more pleasant and less crowded with arguably better weather. The anonymous motels should all be open - bed and a shower is probably all you want anyway.

I can’t agree with this. Cotentin peninsula has some fantastic quiet roads, including some great off road track on the Eurovelo route. Lovely coastline, and a huge amount of history. St. Mere-Eglise is lovely, and has the Airborne Museum which is brilliant. There is also the Normandy Landing Museum at Utah beach. The lighthouse at Barfleur/Gatteville is also worth a visit, and brings you onto the quiet roads around St Vaast. Keep off the main road and there is brilliant cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Zen0 wrote: »
    I can’t agree with this. Cotentin peninsula has some fantastic quiet roads, including some great off road track on the Eurovelo route. Lovely coastline, and a huge amount of history. St. Mere-Eglise is lovely, and has the Airborne Museum which is brilliant. There is also the Normandy Landing Museum at Utah beach. The lighthouse at Barfleur/Gatteville is also worth a visit, and brings you onto the quiet roads around St Vaast. Keep off the main road and there is brilliant cycling.

+1 on this - if you're barrelling down the N13 on your way to somewhere further south, Cotentin looks very bland but there are lots of lovely towns and villages along the coast (it is quite flat though).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I did a 14 day tour of Spain last year and the bike was stored every night in either a space beside the reception, a locked room, or a locked shed or garage. I found the hotel/B&B staff very bike friendly and was never asked to leave the bike outside. I was never offered to take the bike to my room but it was always put in a secure place.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Plastik wrote: »
    There's always Ro-Ro to Scotland and Wales too, and you'd be across to Hull in no time from Liverpool if you wanted to spend a few days in the Netherlands.

I have a vague plan to get a ferry to Hollyhead and ride down through Wales to Swansea, and get the ferry home.

There is the option of going through the Snowdonia and Breacon Beacons national parks. I'd also like to stay on one or two old mining villages. I'd also like to visit Abergavenny - I'm not sure why, but I guess it just sounds nice.

If anybody has done something and did the donkey-work in making out a route I'd appreciate it.

TGD wrote: »
    I have a vague plan to get a ferry to Hollyhead and ride down through Wales to Swansea, and get the ferry home.

I planned the opposite direction as I reckon there's a higher chance of tailwind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

Planning it later in the year over 3 days. North-South, South-North both have their issues if you're trying to loop completely by bike. True that there's probably a higher likelihood of a tailwind if going S-N but you're faced with trying to make ferries ex-Rosslare at 0800/0845 or arriving in Wales at 2125/0045. Neither are much good with the bones of 150km to do down the east coast to Rosslare. I think S-N would make it a 4 day trip, unless you're living much closer to Rosslare.

On the other hand if you go N-S, the morning ferry ex-Dublin has you in Holyhead for 1030. Will probably then break the days into 160/160/80 to catch the Sunday ferry ex-Fishguard at 1300. Lands in Rosslare at 1630 and more than enough time to head up the coast home. Don't think I'll head for the Brecons/ex-Pembroke, again the ferry times are a bit of a pain. The afternoon ferry doesn't land in Rosslare until 1845.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32964344 Something along these lines, still not settled on a route down.

Yep - S-N requires either an overnight in Rosslare with and early ferry or a late ferry and overnight in Fishguard.

I live in Dublin so getting the train (cheating) to Rosslare and starting from Fishguard suits. I can cycle the 12km from Dublin Port to home for the final leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Have always wanted to try this.

Could anyone recommend some routes N-S or S-N on Welsh side? Would be really interested to get some climbing in Snowdonia in.

This is the initial route I'd planned along the west coast.

I didn't really change it once the whole Covid thing put paid to the trip.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31616167

• Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Cycled the following routes in France over the past couple of years and can highly recommend it. Normandy is stunning, great greenway all the way down the Cotentin peninsula.

1. https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/Cherbourg-en-Cotentin,+France/Laval,+France/Bressuire,+France/Royan/San+Sebasti%C3%A1n,+Spain/@43.3921695,-2.0553492,9.92z/data=!4m72!4m71!1m30!1m1!1s0x480c97121faa62e1:0x7ec61fc418bcf800!2m2!1d-1.622224!2d49.6338979!3m4!1m2!1d-1.580599!2d49.361888!3s0x480c87f06118c0a3:0x81ddff528aea1448!3m4!1m2!1d-1.102443!2d49.2202132!3s0x480b99b7acbe647d:0x1dd2c654c4d93fd2!3m4!1m2!1d-0.913393!2d48.6807476!3s0x48096251a676ec77:0x52f2329d9e3bced1!3m4!1m2!1d-0.5844009!2d48.386345!3s0x4809a21b39cbd2ed:0x5082ba3e82a538d2!3m4!1m2!1d-0.6979221!2d48.2231088!3s0x480907e50f9f6547:0xccf7ba76ed714948!1m5!1m1!1s0x4808fde9fc596bc1:0x40d37521e0d16e0!2m2!1d-0.7669906!2d48.0785146!1m5!1m1!1s0x4807a62cf8ba0ab1:0x405d39260e83290!2m2!1d-0.492866!2d46.84246!1m20!1m1!1s0x48017642c60779df:0xfc699a2a58ce73e1!2m2!1d-1.043182!2d45.623027!3m4!1m2!1d-1.2132762!2d44.8976774!3s0xd53562076d555c1:0x420b5810a60a7c20!3m4!1m2!1d-1.2458581!2d44.6865205!3s0xd53607b7e871f0b:0xbf936214e42e911f!3m4!1m2!1d-1.0838547!2d44.3512794!3s0xd547ce474338f7f:0x60d237dffbf6c94f!1m5!1m1!1s0xd51affe3b68fe15:0xe43ec55994864649!2m2!1d-1.9812313!2d43.318334!3e1!5m1!1e3

2. https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/Orl%C3%A9ans,+France/Saint-Nazaire,+France/Pontivy/Lorient/Concarneau/Carhaix-Plouguer/Saint-M%C3%A9en-le-Grand/Saint-Malo/Cherbourg-en-Cotentin,+France/@48.2273585,-5.722066,6.71z/data=!4m61!4m60!1m5!1m1!1s0x47e4e4d49df386e3:0x9eb97de479c38029!2m2!1d1.909251!2d47.902964!1m10!1m1!1s0x4805658f3cc2ef13:0x64dfe60d5e7e1f3d!2m2!1d-2.213848!2d47.2734979!3m4!1m2!1d-2.450615!2d47.359549!3s0x48055971f2e0a67f:0xe37fb45eb4b0cb18!1m5!1m1!1s0x4811cce0c59b70ed:0x15af65c124948c5!2m2!1d-2.967056!2d48.066152!1m5!1m1!1s0x48105e56aa6609ed:0xa93367770ccde4ea!2m2!1d-3.3702449!2d47.7482524!1m5!1m1!1s0x4810db208ab3ab89:0x43c5083ef947b6de!2m2!1d-3.920734!2d47.872834!1m5!1m1!1s0x48110bf64d22c8d3:0xffc477c10b23d465!2m2!1d-3.574188!2d48.275584!1m5!1m1!1s0x480e505b409ffe21:0x40ca5cd36e4a780!2m2!1d-2.192985!2d48.189812!1m5!1m1!1s0x480e81102126bf5d:0xf8e97dadb22be12d!2m2!1d-2.025674!2d48.649337!1m5!1m1!1s0x480c97121faa62e1:0x7ec61fc418bcf800!2m2!1d-1.622224!2d49.6338979!3e1!5m1!1e3

Only some of the greenways are marked on Google Maps, most of the others are here; https://www.francevelotourisme.com/itineraire
    Seaswimmer wrote: »

Can't agree with this, cycled Laval to Arcachon last October and it was fine, all restaurants/bars were open. I mean, where do the locals eat? Plenty of hotels available, be it Gites, B&B's, local hotels or F1, Ibis etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭saccades

crosstownk wrote: »
    Yep - S-N requires either an overnight in Rosslare with and early ferry or a late ferry and overnight in Fishguard.

I live in Dublin so getting the train (cheating) to Rosslare and starting from Fishguard suits. I can cycle the 12km from Dublin Port to home for the final leg.

Overnight in Rosslare/Wexford isn't exactly a pain though is it. Fishguard is a bit grim mind.

• Advertisement

saccades wrote: »
    Overnight in Rosslare/Wexford isn't exactly a pain though is it.

Not a pain at all I imagine. Bite to eat, couple of pints, sleep and an afternoon start on the bike after docking in Fishguard.
    saccades wrote: »
    Fishguard is a bit grim mind.

I've never been but if it's anything like Holyhead, I'd be doing my best to GTFO ASAP.

Advertisement