Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Price jump, basket-payment

Options
  • 10-06-2020 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭

I was about to buy 2 Huawei media pads from Amazon, priced at £179 each so £358 for the 2. If I check my basket they are still that price and they are still currently at this price if I search for them.
    When I go thru to the checkout they come in at £366.96, a jump of £4.48 per tablet so well over €10 more expensive.
    Anybody ever notice this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Apollinaris

.red. wrote: »
    I was about to buy 2 Huawei media pads from Amazon, priced at £179 each so £358 for the 2. If I check my basket they are still that price and they are still currently at this price if I search for them.
    When I go thru to the checkout they come in at £366.96, a jump of £4.48 per tablet so well over €10 more expensive.

Delivery selection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Irish VAT rate is a few % higher than the UK. VAT is updated when they know the address you have selected. The UK VAT rate is applied on the basket screen and on the item screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Are you getting it delivered to Ireland, therefore Irish VAT rates? This is slightly higher than UK VAT so probably accounts for the difference, try a UK address (parcel motel) and you would be charged the lower rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭viboy

Most likely the difference in VAT between Ireland and the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Vyse Remastered

Or Irish VAT rates...............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

Delivery selection?
    Irish vat rate, 23% here 20% in U.K.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭thebiglad

VAT adjustment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭the hedgeman

They charge Irish vat rates for Ireland orders and the UK vat is lower than ours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭.red.

Thanks for all the quick replies.
    I had thought of vat but never noticed before and there was nothing telling me about the change.
    Using PM would only save me €5/6 on an expensive purchase so not really worth it as it would add delivery time.
    Ive surprisingly found them much cheaper on Littlewoods so that's more likely where I'll buy them from.
    Would they be here in 2 weeks? I haven't used them in years. Need one of them for the 26th.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

It's because of different VAT rates between here and the UK.
    Divide the total you're expecting by 120 and multiply by 123 and you'll see it works out as what you're being charged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It's exactly 2.5% more for the usual vat difference. Some things like sports supplements or adult bicycle helmets can be zero in the UK and 23% here so can have big savings.

There was some plugin thing before that some Irish guy made that displayed the price you would pay as you browsed, not sure its still going, or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

rubadub wrote: »
    It's exactly 2.5% more for the usual vat difference. Some things like sports supplements or adult bicycle helmets can be zero in the UK and 23% here so can have big savings.

There was some plugin thing before that some Irish guy made that displayed the price you would pay as you browsed, not sure its still going, or similar.

for sports supplements the price should drop as the vat in UK is 20% and here its 13.5%.

Advertisement