Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clear coat on a steel frame

Options
  • 10-06-2020 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Hi Boardies,

I'm getting a new steel frame in the next few days and I would like to keep it raw as the fillet brazing is worderfully done.
    Does anyone have any experience with someone who can give it a very good clear/transparent coat ???
    Possibly in Cork or Munster...

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭cletus

clod71 wrote: »

I know it's an issue with cars, I presume it's also an issue with steel framed bikes. As far as I know, clear coat is porous, therefore doesn't keep moisture out

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

https://spray.bike/

You should be able to find something here. Very easy to use and good results.

https://spray.bike/

You should be able to find something here. Very easy to use and good results.

The issue is not the quality of the paint, it's whether you can successfully clear coat over bare steel

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

cletus wrote: »
    The issue is not the quality of the paint, it's whether you can successfully clear coat over bare steel

Maybe go here: https://spray.bike/pages/contact-us

Ask something like, "are any of your products suitable to clear coat a raw steel frame? (p.s. I am not concerned about the quality of the paint."

Just a suggestion.

If it works you could have the job done for less than 20 quid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

when they say 'clear coat' is it just a laquer? i.e. is there no clear covering which is waterproof?

when they say 'clear coat' is it just a laquer? i.e. is there no clear covering which is waterproof?

exactly my concern...
    As (allegedly) this is going to be a gravel bike, she will see pretty rough terrain over the next few months and even a chip would cause the raw steel to be exposed to the elements...
    Perhaps it isn't such a great idea afterall...

:rolleyes:

Aonthert concern would be the adhereance of the clear coat to the frame. Im assiuming you wont be keying the frame to take the clear coat

just to clarify, I am not going to do this by myself at all, not with a spray bike can, not with any type of pro equipment.
    Actually, while I was writing down all this I realise I will be better off painting the frame even if that means covering those fine welds...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭saccades

On-line used to sell a "raw" frame here a few comments on them from owners.

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/raw-steel-frame/

• Advertisement

saccades wrote: »
    On-line used to sell a "raw" frame here a few comments on them from owners.

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/raw-steel-frame/

yeah, I owned a raw Pompino myself. I sold it to a fella in here actually... @lennymc
    Let's just say that this one is a custom frame and it's a bit more expensive than a Pompino. I would like it to have a few happy years with it...
    Like I said, I might just paint it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭saccades

clod71 wrote: »
    yeah, I owned a raw Pompino myself. I sold it to a fella in here actually... @lennymc
    Let's just say that this one is a custom frame and it's a bit more expensive than a Pompino. I would like it to have a few happy years with it...
    Like I said, I might just paint it

You're going to get a patina that can be removed if you want and sprayed up at a later date.

You don't spray the inside of a frame generally and steel will last for ages.

Try it raw with a clear coat and show off the filet brazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

It's possible to leave a frame raw and just wipe oil into it every so often - I bought my daily hack frame in 1990 and it was mostly naked then. I wanted it to blend in and not look attractive to thieves.
    It's mostly under cover at home and in various workplaces, so it's only been in the rain when on the road. Every year or so, I spray/wipe it with WD-40 and, more recently, with ACF-50.

I realise that you probably don't want this much patina, but it's probably possible to have less if you oil it more often, but I did want it to be "camouflaged".

[IMG][/img]GBMsrTW.jpg

Type 17 wrote: »
    It's possible to leave a frame raw and just wipe oil into it every so often - I bought my daily hack frame in 1990 and it was mostly naked then. I wanted it to blend in and not look attractive to thieves.
    It's mostly under cover at home and in various workplaces, so it's only been in the rain when on the road. Every year or so, I spray/wipe it with WD-40 and, more recently, with ACF-50.

I realise that you probably don't want this much patina, but it's probably possible to have less if you oil it more often, but I did want it to be "camouflaged".

[IMG][/img]GBMsrTW.jpg

It looks well to be a 30 yr old frame.
    Thanks for the input...
    I seem to change my mind at every second reply
    🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

Nice bike, aren't you lucky to be able to keep it in the kitchen?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he made the rookie mistake of allowing us to see what sort of hob he has though. to be fair, it's not that visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Terraced house, so all the bikes go through the living room, into the kitchen, and out to the lean-to in the yard, except my good bike, which stands up in the corner of the living room, on a Clug.

Advertisement