Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Can the Psni ask you to remove your tints, if you are only passing through the boarde

  • 09-06-2020 2:31am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 2 d.lynch2000
    Registered User


    Im just wondering if the Psni ask you to remove your tints, if you are only passing through the boarder and you own and Irish car, and live in Ireland, if possible answers with legislation behind them, thank you for your time


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭ Mjolnir
    Registered User


    Im just wondering if the Psni ask you to remove your tints, if you are only passing through the boarder and you own and Irish car, and live in Ireland, if possible answers with legislation behind them, thank you for your time

    They can ask you to do anything which falls within their remit while you're in their jurisdiction. If you're not an resident and do not work in their jurisdiction / won't be spending any significant time there simply explain you're passing by.

    If they see you constantly they may believe you're a local resident, something to keep in mind.

    I'm open to correction but legal tint here is 65% vlt front and front sides, anything back. N.I 75% vlt front, 70% front side, back anything.

    What specific legislation are you looking for?
    The whole take your tint off on the side of the road is usually in place of any penalty and you're then sent on your way with a warning.

    Again open to correction but the penalties are prohibition notice, fixed penalty or court summons, not sure of points ya can google that yourself.

    Remember you're in their jurisdiction, their rules, there's no specific law I'm aware of preventing them from prosecuting foreign drivers (let's not get into the Ire, N.I debate on this) why would there be. It would be down to the individual cops mood and how you were with them on the day if they stopped you.

    Will you be in and out of N.I frequently or staying there for any prolonged periods?


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 43,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭ magicbastarder
    Moderator


    if you're asking can your car be exempt from NI rules, i suspect it's an 'ulster says no'.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭ Isambard
    Registered User


    if you're asking can your car be exempt from NI rules, i suspect it's an 'ulster says no'.

    they can ask you to remove the tints and if you won't I assume they could seize or prohibit the car as dangerous and take it away. It's their country, their rules.


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 43,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭ magicbastarder
    Moderator


    yeah, i'm scratching my head as to the seeming presumption that their laws don't apply to you if you're only visiting.
    anyway, a question better suited for the main car forum?


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,615 ✭✭✭✭ Spook_ie
    Registered User


    I'm not so sure that anyone would actually know the difference between the two levels of tint without using a light meter.

    USA site but has a little html thing that allows you to see what a tint looks like. Not so sure unless they were side by side you'd spot the difference easily

    https://www.tinting-laws.com/tint-darkness-example/


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭ GerardKeating
    Registered User


    Im just wondering if the Psni ask you to remove your tints, if you are only passing through the boarder and you own and Irish car, and live in Ireland, if possible answers with legislation behind them, thank you for your time
    Mjolnir wrote: »
    I'm open to correction but legal tint here is 65% vlt front and front sides, anything back. N.I 75% vlt front, 70% front side, back anything.

    So if allowable tint up north is more that this side of the border, then any car that is the wrong side of the regs up north, is also the wrong side of legal down south.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭ SeanW
    Registered User


    I could be wrong but I'm guessing the measurements are of light that get through. 65% OK in the Republic, a higher requirement of 75 in the North.

    Your car is either legal in the jurisdiction it is in at any given time, or it is not. There's no in between. In theory this creates problems on the N54 Cavan-Monaghan and N53 Dundalk-Castleblaney roads, as both of those roads cross into the North en-route between towns in the Republic. The N54 dips into the North twice (in between, a weird penne-exclave of the Republic almost entire enclosed within Northern Ireland), and the N53 crosses into Northern Ireland once on its route.

    You might hope for a little leniency in things like this on the affected sections of A3 and the A37 (which would be at the discretion of the police officer you encounter) but anywhere else in NI there's really no excuse.


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭ Dravokivich
    Category Moderator


    Spook_ie wrote: »
    I'm not so sure that anyone would actually know the difference between the two levels of tint without using a light meter.

    USA site but has a little html thing that allows you to see what a tint looks like. Not so sure unless they were side by side you'd spot the difference easily

    https://www.tinting-laws.com/tint-darkness-example/

    Just as well they usually carry a device thatll measure it so.


  • Registered Users Posts: 24,752 ✭✭✭✭ Wishbone Ash
    Registered User


    Im just wondering if the Psni ask you to remove your tints, if you are only passing through the boarder and you own and Irish car, and live in Ireland...
    Very strange question! It's a bit like asking if the PSNI can enforce the speed limit for anyone passing through in a ROI registered vehicle! Or be served alcolol later in a pub on a Sunday night because they're from the ROI.

    PS - most people in NI have "Irish" cars and live in "Ireland". Just because it's de facto part of the UK does not make it a different geographical country.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭ Risteard81
    Registered User


    Im just wondering if the Psni ask you to remove your tints, if you are only passing through the boarder and you own and Irish car, and live in Ireland, if possible answers with legislation behind them, thank you for your time
    We all live in Ireland. This country has 32-Counties.


    But ignore what the RUC ask you to do.


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 6,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭ liamog
    EV Driver


    Risteard81 wrote: »
    We all live in Ireland. This country has 32-Counties.


    But ignore what the RUC ask you to do.

    If the RUC are asking you a question, you probably shouldn't ignore them. Clearly either you or they have travelled through some kind of time portal, that's amazing news and should probably be investigated.
    If however the PSNI (established in 2001) stop you in the six counties, then it's probably better to just do what you are told.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,615 ✭✭✭✭ Spook_ie
    Registered User


    Just as well they usually carry a device thatll measure it so.

    Do they all carry them? I was thinking they would have a calibrated one in strategic locations and bring them out at checkpoints or when a trained vehicle inspector has one at a vehicle inspection site for when police refer a vehicle for evidential testing.


  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭ Mjolnir
    Registered User


    So if allowable tint up north is more that this side of the border, then any car that is the wrong side of the regs up north, is also the wrong side of legal down south.

    Other way around 65% is marginally darker


  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭ Mjolnir
    Registered User


    Spook_ie wrote: »
    Do they all carry them? I was thinking they would have a calibrated one in strategic locations and bring them out at checkpoints or when a trained vehicle inspector has one at a vehicle inspection site for when police refer a vehicle for evidential testing.

    if like in England then yes, only a relatively small thing


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭ Risteard81
    Registered User


    liamog wrote: »
    If the RUC are asking you a question, you probably shouldn't ignore them. Clearly either you or they have travelled through some kind of time portal, that's amazing news and should probably be investigated.
    If however the PSNI (established in 2001) stop you in the six counties, then it's probably better to just do what you are told.
    Police (Northern Ireland) Act 2000:


    1 Name of the police in Northern Ireland.

    (1)The body of constables known as the Royal Ulster Constabulary shall continue in being as the Police Service of Northern Ireland (incorporating the Royal Ulster Constabulary).

    (2)The body of constables referred to in subsection (1) shall be styled for operational purposes the “Police Service of Northern Ireland”.

    (3)The body of constables known as the Royal Ulster Constabulary Reserve shall continue in being as the Police Service of Northern Ireland Reserve (incorporating the Royal Ulster Constabulary Reserve).

    (4)The body of constables referred to in subsection (3) shall be styled for operational purposes “The Police Service of Northern Ireland Reserve”.


    So you are incorrect.


    No time portal is required. The RUC remain in existence.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭ JustAThought
    Registered User


    Dunno about up North but I remember a woman going absolutely MENTAL in the NCT forecourt alongside me - the Polish guy had casually ripped the timtimg off her mini to allow him to pass it on the NCT - she didn’t know that what she had on her windows was illegal here and threw an absolute menteller. Very funny to watch as the NCT guy was so bewildered - he thought she would be grateful!! I once was escorted over the border in my old car to her majesties cost. The car had had a copious breakdown en route from Belfast - they didn’t think it was roadworthy and my choice was police escort off their roads or it to be seized and towed away! I guess they can do what they want when they’re pissed off with you and pointing a gun at you.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭ SeanW
    Registered User


    Risteard81 wrote: »
    Police (Northern Ireland) Act 2000:


    1 Name of the police in Northern Ireland.

    (1)The body of constables known as the Royal Ulster Constabulary shall continue in being as the Police Service of Northern Ireland (incorporating the Royal Ulster Constabulary).

    (2)The body of constables referred to in subsection (1) shall be styled for operational purposes the “Police Service of Northern Ireland”.

    (3)The body of constables known as the Royal Ulster Constabulary Reserve shall continue in being as the Police Service of Northern Ireland Reserve (incorporating the Royal Ulster Constabulary Reserve).

    (4)The body of constables referred to in subsection (3) shall be styled for operational purposes “The Police Service of Northern Ireland Reserve”.


    So you are incorrect.


    No time portal is required. The RUC remain in existence.
    So they renamed the organisation instead of dissolving it and forming the PSNI from new. No idea how this is relevant to the OP, nor how it is good advice to ignore anything the police tell you.


  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 6,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭ liamog
    EV Driver


    Mjolnir wrote: »
    if like in England then yes, only a relatively small thing

    Is it one of those things they break out when they are looking for an excuse to give you a ticket?


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭ Dravokivich
    Category Moderator


    liamog wrote: »
    Is it one of those things they break out when they are looking for an excuse to give you a ticket?

    No, is one of those things they break out when they want to verify how much light can pass through the tint.


  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 6,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭ liamog
    EV Driver


    No, is one of those things they break out when they want to verify how much light can pass through the tint.

    My guess is they are not pulling over Mom's in Ford Galaxy's and checking the window tint, I guess it's something they check whilst targetting drivers of particular types of car.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭ Vic_08
    Registered User


    liamog wrote: »
    My guess is they are not pulling over Mom's in Ford Galaxy's and checking the window tint, I guess it's something they check whilst targetting drivers of particular types of car.

    If you know they will be looking for an excuse to do you then the smart thing is not to have illegal tints or other obvious infringements.

    The lads that you get whinging about being victimised by the police over motoring offences do it to themselves, they drive around in cars that stick out a mile and then complain that they constantly get stopped.


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 43,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭ magicbastarder
    Moderator


    looks like a driveby (i'm here all week) by the OP.


Advertisement