Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pre panning meeting requirements

Options
  • 08-06-2020 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭

Just looking at a pre planning meeting request form.
    One of the requirement for requesting the pre planning meeting is a sketch of the proposed layout.
    Do this mean the actual architects drawings to scale etc or is it just a rough drawing I can do yo show what I hope to build?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Just looking at a pre planning meeting request form.
    One of the requirement for requesting the pre planning meeting is a sketch of the proposed layout.
    Do this mean the actual architects drawings to scale etc or is it just a rough drawing I can do yo show what I hope to build?

First is it a rural area and if so do you meet the housing requirements? If you do then continue.

The more information you have going into a pre-planning meeting the more you get out of it.

I think you've two types of pre-planning meetings you can do for a house. The very initial stage where you show the site and maybe talk about where you want to place the house and what type of house you're thinking of building. They can give input on heights, size of house, massing, etc and directly influence the design. Usually they'll refer you to local guidelines. It can be very vague and sometimes you don't really get a lot out of it.

The second is where you design the house you want and like. Remember it's a house for you not a planner. Then you go to meet the planners with your architect and he/she presents their design and vision justifying why it should look like this. You generally don't do the talking as you're paying the architect so they may as well earn their fee and their supposedly the expert anyway. The advantage of this I think is they're now commenting on the design rather than designing it. Therefore the house should change less in theory anyway.

The third option is if you've a good architect is just design the house, skip the pre-planning meeting and lodge the planning application. A good local architect should know the local guidelines and requirements for planning and submit all the relevant information including housing requirements if relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Thanks.
    Location is suburb, just outside a town. Family site with family living beside.
    Have all the maps and photos sorted so just wasnt sure about the level of detail required for the sketch

• Registered Users Posts: 33,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The planner can only discuss what you've given them, so the more detail you give, the more they can point out possible issues. So long as your house design isn't planned on being overly large or complex, some photos of similar houses could suffice, with a general site layout sketch. But again, the more information you give, the more the planner can review it and discuss it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

In my opinion pre-plannings are pointless without designer in attendance. In my experience anytime a client relayed what the planner said (and I was not able to have a further pre-planning) the application was either refused or further info requested that could have been sorted in the actual submission.

Advertisement