Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ensuite Plumbing Query - Sewer Gases

Options
  • 08-06-2020 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We've an issue with sewer gas getting into our ensuite, it's been going on for some time but have only got around to it now as it is most prevelant in the morning and we'd normally not be here.

I changed the bend under the sink and the seal was slightly worn and this has made a difference but not eliminated the issue.

I then began to look for the vent to see if that was blocked but haven't been able to locate one, could it be possible that a house built in 2007 doesn't have one fitted?

Any other ideas on what I might be missing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Check the shower trap. 70% of the time it's the insert missing

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

corkgsxr wrote: »

Thanks, I will look into that as a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

corkgsxr wrote: »
    I agree , shower trap is the no.1 culprit in these situations.

Thanks, seems like a tough enough job that will involve removing tiles. Can't seem to find a YouTube video that seems similar to my set up.

Thanks, seems like a tough enough job that will involve removing tiles. Can't seem to find a YouTube video that seems similar to my set up.

Virtually every trap is accessible from the drain in the shower , they are designed that way as you will always need to remove hair and debris that gathers in them.

Its usually that the drain cover can be lifted, or in some stainless steel ones there may be a stainless steel cover screw. Do you have a shower tray or is it a fully tiled walk-in shower with no tray ?

• Advertisement

Virtually every trap is accessible from the drain in the shower , they are designed that way as you will always need to remove hair and debris that gathers in them.

Its usually that the drain cover can be lifted, or in some stainless steel ones there may be a stainless steel cover screw. Do you have a shower tray or is it a fully tiled walk-in shower with no tray ?

It's a shower tray, sorry I didn't describe it properly earlier. The front of the tray is tiled, hence if I'd to get under it'd need to be removed.

It's a shower tray, sorry I didn't describe it properly earlier. The front of the tray is tiled, hence if I'd to get under it'd need to be removed.

Ok you dont need to get under, the drain hole grid usually pops up and you can see if there is a round insert in it . The insert is usually to catch hairs and stuff.

Ok you dont need to get under, the drain hole grid usually pops up and you can see if there is a round insert in it . The insert is usually to catch hairs and stuff.

Thanks, so I've done that and got the section out by twisting it counter clock wise. I my issue new is the bottom section has fallen down and I can't reach it or the pipe.

Thanks, so I've done that and got the section out by twisting it counter clock wise. I my issue new is the bottom section has fallen down and I can't reach it or the pipe.

It sounds like you have unscrewed the waste from the tray and not just popped the grid as i suggested. Sorry to be blunt but you dont have a clue what you are doing and will end up with a leak , i would suggest getting a plumber.

Use a flexible metal coat hanger hook to fish for the trap and lift it back up , but it should not be that loose that it falls down so easily.

Get professional help. Your username is quite apt for this scenario.

It sounds like you have unscrewed the waste from the tray and not just popped the grid as i suggested. Sorry to be blunt but you dont have a clue what you are doing and will end up with a leak , i would suggest getting a plumber.

Use a flexible metal coat hanger hook to fish for the trap and lift it back up , but it should not be that loose that it falls down so easily.

Get professional help. Your username is quite apt for this scenario.

Hahaha, the username perfectly sums up this situation, lockdown has me over estimating my ability.

What you've described is excatly what I've done, have two of the lads coming over later a plumber and plaster seems plan is to go through the ceiling below.

Will update when fully resolved and we sort the issue of the gas.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Widget

How did you get on with your issue? My daughter has similar issue

All resolved now.

The plumber had to cut through the downstairs ceiling to get the part that needed replacing.

We don't use that shower often so every so often I turn it on for a minute or so.

Advertisement