Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drastic Increase In Sunday Work-Compensation?

Options
  • 08-06-2020 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

A family member as recently been put on a new schedule which requires her to work 9 out of every 10 Sundays. She previously would have worked 1/5.
    She's on a salary. Her contract of employment contains a provision stating that the rate of pay has been calculated to take into account the requirement to work on Sunday. Given the drastic increase in Sunday work, should she be entitled to a pay increase/paid time off? Or does she have to just suck it up due to the contract?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭skallywag

That is a significant change, and any reasonable employer is going to acknowledge that. The wage calculation must be making an assumption of x Sundays per year, etc. I would raise the point directly with my supervisor or with HR is there is a HR team.

Was any communication given as to why this change is now being made? How is the overall health of the company in question at the moment, considering the virus, etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

As the contract states that the pay rate has taken into account sunday work (fairly standard in retail/hospitality industry) there will be no entitlement to extra pay.

Best case is to negotiate a lower number of sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

skallywag wrote: »
    That is a significant change, and any reasonable employer is going to acknowledge that. The wage calculation must be making an assumption of x Sundays per year, etc. I would raise the point directly with my supervisor or with HR is there is a HR team.

Was any communication given as to why this change is now being made? How is the overall health of the company in question at the moment, considering the virus, etc.?

Company is doing fine. Yes communication was given, reasoning was due to their new "worldwide scheduling" plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭skallywag

I guess it then depends really on how much Sunday work was factored in to the original contract? i.e. if the wage was anyway calculated using the assumption that working every Sunday would be required, and she was just lucky in that she only ended up working 1 in 5, then there is nothing she can really do.

I would still ask though if I was her.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭MildThing84

Some employers use a composite rate of pay which includes a premium for working a Sunday. However this must be detailed in a contract.

Without seeing her contract it is hard to know but it sounds as if she just has to suck it up unfortunately. Sunday is now almost considered a normal working day. Gone are the days of Fergal Quinn refusing to open his stores on a Sunday as it is a family day. And even he eventually bowed to pressure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement