Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Black mould

Options
  • 07-06-2020 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭

Hi there.

I'm hoping someone could help. I've black mould on the headlining. Headlining is now removed however I couldn't see how to remove the sun shade on the sunroof which is also affected without removing the entire mechanism.

Anyway, long story short is there any really strong cleaner that would remove the black mould?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Vinegar is pretty good for mold removal. Either neat or 50/50 with water, depending on how bad it is. Spray down everything, leave for at least an hour, 24 if you can. That should kill off the mold. Then you can go over with normal cleaner + scrub it to clean. If you had a wet/dry vac, or a carpet cleaner / extractor vac it would be a good time to whip it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Vinegar is pretty good for mold removal. Either neat or 50/50 with water, depending on how bad it is. Spray down everything, leave for at least an hour, 24 if you can. That should kill off the mold. Then you can go over with normal cleaner + scrub it to clean. If you had a wet/dry vac, or a carpet cleaner / extractor vac it would be a good time to whip it out.

Perfect, will give that a go. It's a bloody mess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

Do you know where the mould is coming from or is it a car thats been left up for a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

No point in doing this until you first find out why the mould was there and fix it if there's a reason for it apart from the car just having been laid up for a while.

The cause was a sunroof leak. It's a long story but I've stripped the entire interior out to clean. It's in a bad way. Going to get the vinegar and LET it do it's thing over night. While that's sitting I'll clean the sunroof drainage channels out.

• Advertisement

Well the vinegar didn't work but something else did. Check out the before and after pics.

Before

20200607-224639.jpg

After

20200609-084800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Spray paint? :pac:

Dettol Mould and Mildew remover applied liberally and left sit over night :D

5011417561737_3.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Dirty Nails

The vinegar worked for me, but it has to be distilled white vinegar.

The vinegar worked for me, but it has to be distilled white vinegar.

I've a 5 litre drum of it here :D

I'll be checking it over later for a final go as it'll be full dried. Interested to see if the dettol desolved the glue

• Advertisement
Advertisement