Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Potty training inspiration

• 05-06-2020 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

On third attempt with potty with my 2yr 8 months girl. Clearly wasnt ready the first 2 efforts so waited a month each time. This time it seemed to be going okay and on day 2 she even went herself without prompting which exceeded all expectations at that stage. Then we had 2 days of seemingly getting somewhere as she'd tell us wee coming and then we'd just miss it so thought she was getting the cues but it was the timing. Fast forward to day 6. We're going nowhere. Becoming a battle to get her to sit on potty. Part of me wants to stick at it cos of the promising start but the other part of me thinks the novelty has worn off. Is it worth persevering or should we park it again? We've tried all sorts of motivators to get her to sit- books, toys, stickers, even my phone. Sometimes she'll sit, other times it's a battle. We had 4 successes in first 2 days, and only 1 in last 3 days. Also she ccan go up to 3 hours without a wee so it became pointless sticking her on it every half hour so it might be evrry hour now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭fits

I think it’s worth parking it for a few weeks and hopefully she will have learned from experience. I did this last October. I didn’t make a big deal of nappy going back on at all either. Tried again in February at his instigation and he’s almost 100% now day and night at 3.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I'd also give it a break for a few weeks.

I'd also change tact a bit as well. Seeing as she can go for hours without needing to go and you think she's figuring out the sensations of needing to go, I'd go down the route of getting her to tell you when she needs to go, and remind her of that often, rather than bringing her to the toilet or asking her if she needs to go. Even when she's doing a wiggle, and you know full well she does need to go, remind her to tell you. My eldest was about a month older than yours now and i found giving her the responsibility of it made things far easier and quicker. Like you we had tried a couple of times before and failed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

scarepanda wrote: »
    I'd also give it a break for a few weeks.

I'd also change tact a bit as well. Seeing as she can go for hours without needing to go and you think she's figuring out the sensations of needing to go, I'd go down the route of getting her to tell you when she needs to go, and remind her of that often, rather than bringing her to the toilet or asking her if she needs to go. Even when she's doing a wiggle, and you know full well she does need to go, remind her to tell you. My eldest was about a month older than yours now and i found giving her the responsibility of it made things far easier and quicker. Like you we had tried a couple of times before and failed

Yeah think you're right. I've just cleaned out a wardrobe after latest accident - hide and seek - ( groan). The other problem is that she takes off her nappy so I still have to deal with accidents. So many pointers that she's ready but still not making any progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

We recently potty trained our first. He turned three in mid April and we started lateish March and he hasn't worn a nappy since we started. We elected to just go without them at night to remove any confusion for him. Missus got this book

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crap-Potty-Training-Everything-Parenting/dp/1501122983

and we found it very helpful. He now goes himself without prompting and has not wet the bed once. He has the occasional accident but I firmly believe that they have been down to pure and utter laziness on his part ie he is in the middle of something so cant be bothered moving to the potty. Think we have had one in the last week or so. We were out in the park one of the days last week and he literally said, I have to do a poo, dropped his pants and pooed on the ground. Luckily we always bring wipes and nappy sacks with us!

I will say though, he is something of a camel (its a term in the book) and he might only go 3 or 4 times a day and seems to poo every second day. He is a divil to get water into so that probably has a bearing on it. Im glad we waited til he was a bit older as I dont think he would have been ready for it. His sister will be two in August and we intend trying with her much earlier as she is showing an interest in the potty and sits on it herself, she also now tells us when she has a dirty nappy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Eh, I made this mistake on my first.All the mistakes in fact!It took me ages to realise the more I went on about it, the more she went off in the other direction.Just the type of child she is.

Let her own it.It's her body, forcing her to sit on a potty is just shooting yourself in the foot.Don't count how many accidents in a day.Change your language and just say things like "don't forget the potty is there if you need it", or "let me know if you have to go" every so often.Girls hold on waaaaaay longer than boys, just one of those things.She sounds ready to be honest, you just have to figure out your tactic.Occasionally if you feel she is really dying to go, but won't, say something like "do you want to (or "let's") sit up and see if there is any wee that needs to come out" or similar.Or 'let's see if any wees are hiding in there "( a bizarre turn of phrase coined by my now 4 year old, when she sat up but the wee just wouldn't come straight away, in places like public toilets!!!!).

Just ease off the pressure on you and her.She is 2 so naturally the more she knows you want her to do something, the less she will want to do it.It is incomprehensible to us as adults when it comes to that stuff, but some kids are just like that.My second was a dream to train, so I realised it was more about my first's personality than anything else, for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Is there any chance she hates the potty? My oldest boy never used one, He hated it from the get go, got one of those insert thingys on the toilet seat, and a step and he used those from the start.
    Or maybe she’s just not ready. She’s still quite young

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭scarepanda

We got a built in step/toilet seat thingy and it's amazing! Far better than a potty and it gives her more independence as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QM9KHW1/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_z7J2EbE1DJ3V5

shesty wrote: »
    Eh, I made this mistake on my first.All the mistakes in fact!It took me ages to realise the more I went on about it, the more she went off in the other direction.Just the type of child she is.

Let her own it.It's her body, forcing her to sit on a potty is just shooting yourself in the foot.Don't count how many accidents in a day.Change your language and just say things like "don't forget the potty is there if you need it", or "let me know if you have to go" every so often.Girls hold on waaaaaay longer than boys, just one of those things.She sounds ready to be honest, you just have to figure out your tactic.Occasionally if you feel she is really dying to go, but won't, say something like "do you want to (or "let's") sit up and see if there is any wee that needs to come out" or similar.Or 'let's see if any wees are hiding in there "( a bizarre turn of phrase coined by my now 4 year old, when she sat up but the wee just wouldn't come straight away, in places like public toilets!!!!).

Just ease off the pressure on you and her.She is 2 so naturally the more she knows you want her to do something, the less she will want to do it.It is incomprehensible to us as adults when it comes to that stuff, but some kids are just like that.My second was a dream to train, so I realised it was more about my first's personality than anything else, for us.

I think you've nailed it. I believe she's ready but my approach hasn't worked. Have decided to leave it a couple of weeks and try a different tack. She's nearly 2 yrs 9 months. Potty remains in the bathroom on the off chance she'll seek it out herself. Will battle with her taking her nappy off in the meantime!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

73trix wrote: »
    On third attempt with potty with my 2yr 8 months girl. Clearly wasnt ready the first 2 efforts so waited a month each time. This time it seemed to be going okay and on day 2 she even went herself without prompting which exceeded all expectations at that stage. Then we had 2 days of seemingly getting somewhere as she'd tell us wee coming and then we'd just miss it so thought she was getting the cues but it was the timing. Fast forward to day 6. We're going nowhere. Becoming a battle to get her to sit on potty. Part of me wants to stick at it cos of the promising start but the other part of me thinks the novelty has worn off. Is it worth persevering or should we park it again? We've tried all sorts of motivators to get her to sit- books, toys, stickers, even my phone. Sometimes she'll sit, other times it's a battle. We had 4 successes in first 2 days, and only 1 in last 3 days. Also she ccan go up to 3 hours without a wee so it became pointless sticking her on it every half hour so it might be evrry hour now.

I can't find it now, but there's a 3 day potty training guide floating around online.

Ideal time to do this is with a few days of good weather (sunny/warm day) ... put suncream on them !

What we did with twins was roughly this: (yes - twins)

- give them plenty of drinks .... ie. water, juice/milk.
    - keep them nudie (at least on the bottom half)
    - watch them like a hawk (at first sign of a wee, lift and place on potty, massive congratulations, high fives.
    - regularly ask if they need to go potty ? lots of praise if they opt to do it themselves and lots of praise if they need to be brought to the potty.

(At least day 1 without underpants, Day 2 or Day 3 put on underpants and train them to pull down underpants to go for a wee.

It usually means you are limited to doing very little else for most of the day but it can work.

Apparently night time training is hormonal, we got very lucky because we didn't know it was a hormonal thing and just tried pull-ups for night time for a few days...we were getting dry nappies so we took the gamble and it worked (we did have mattress protectors on their beds just incase and did need to change bedsheets during the night once or twice) .... twins are 4 now and can only complain about the sass and attitude from them, no potty issues (thankfully) - now they are all grown up and wee in the toilet.

I can't find it now, but there's a 3 day potty training guide floating around online.

Ideal time to do this is with a few days of good weather (sunny/warm day) ... put suncream on them !

What we did with twins was roughly this: (yes - twins)

- give them plenty of drinks .... ie. water, juice/milk.
    - keep them nudie (at least on the bottom half)
    - watch them like a hawk (at first sign of a wee, lift and place on potty, massive congratulations, high fives.
    - regularly ask if they need to go potty ? lots of praise if they opt to do it themselves and lots of praise if they need to be brought to the potty.

(At least day 1 without underpants, Day 2 or Day 3 put on underpants and train them to pull down underpants to go for a wee.

It usually means you are limited to doing very little else for most of the day but it can work.

Apparently night time training is hormonal, we got very lucky because we didn't know it was a hormonal thing and just tried pull-ups for night time for a few days...we were getting dry nappies so we took the gamble and it worked (we did have mattress protectors on their beds just incase and did need to change bedsheets during the night once or twice) .... twins are 4 now and can only complain about the sass and attitude from them, no potty issues (thankfully) - now they are all grown up and wee in the toilet.

Ill look that up for next time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement