If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Converting a generic BA into a teaching qualification

  • 04-06-2020 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

    I have been considering teaching as a profession. I have done a fair amount of research on the job itself but as to the pathway there it's a little confusing.

    I am 30 now, already have a BA (archaeology) and of course i am willing to do a Postgrad course of some kind to get where i want to go. I would love to teach History most of all with a second class being maybe English.

    The issue is, how do i get qualified without doing another Undergrad followed by an MA or something? I have seen in the US they have courses for Undergrads with irrelevant subjects that direct you into teaching what you want and get you some practical experience. Is there anything like that around Europe?

    I was thinking of maybe doing a masters in History/English. Then do another year somewhere else, a Masters in Education. This is all with an eye on emigrating, i won't be teaching in Ireland. Germany, Holland, New Zealand and Canada are all top of my list. NZ most of all.

    Any advice would be hugely appreciated.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4 AlRedsFan

    I should have mentioned it is secondary level i want to teach!

  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭cnn27

    You might get more replies if you posted in the Teaching & Lecturing forum. As far as I know, it's not going to be possible to qualify as a teacher of a specific subject without a degree in that subject and I don't think an archeology degree will qualify you for a particular subject on the school curriculum. I think there are specific courses out there for some subjects, e.g. I know UCC do Higher Diplomas in some subjects that are accepted by the Teaching Council. But then you'd only be qualified in one subject, which will make it even more difficult to find work. In addition to that, you'd need to do the 2 year PME.