Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Microsoft Outlook - Help

Options
  • 04-06-2020 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Would appreciate if someone can help me to open Microsoft Outlook as I'm not very IT literate and I'm unable to find someone local to help.

Last week I could open Outlook but this week I'm getting a message as follows:

'Cannot start Microsoft Outlook - Cannot Open Outlook Window' Errors have been detected in the file C: Outlook files pst.

Last week I was able to run Microsoft Outlook Inbox Repair and got message half way through ' Unexpected error prevents access to file. Use a Disk Error checking program to check disk and try using Microsoft outlook inbox repair again'

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭ondafly

have a read of this link

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/outlook-2007-disaster-in-the-making-an-unexpected/fc1d5198-a764-4e49-b957-7db98ea0f1a9

I suspect bad sectors on your hard drive and will require you to run chkdsk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Most likely data file corrupt, could be due to disk errors.

1. File>account settings>account settings>data files tab, select account and open File Location(File explorer window will pop with datafile highlighted). Now close oultook, go back to file explorer and rename to yourmailaddress.ost.old .Start Outlook - data file will be rebuild(it'll take time for mail to populate, depending on size)

or

2. Run>control(hit Enter). in control panel window search type mail(hit Enter). in mail setup window > show profiles, in Mail window >Add. Create new profile and select to always use this profile from list. Start Outlook - data file will be build in new profile(it'll take time for mail to populate, depending on size)

Don't delete previous profile/data file yet just in case.

This will not fix disk errors if any. If its mechanical HDD - might be worth upgrading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Thanks Ondafly and Smuggler.ie for your replies.

I ran chkdsk and no joy - I'm using Microsoft Outlook 2010 and cannot open at all.

Can anyone recommend someone that I can pay to fix remotely.

Thanks again

I would not advise to give access to your PC and mail account to uknown individuals...
    Steps in 2. should get you sorted.
    Tutorial:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgRcsUw7b8g&app=desktop

Thanks Smuggler.ie,
    I tried all the suggestions however in the end I found someone and paid him but nothing worked as my file was corrupted. I downloaded Remo software which is free and my emails were recovered however I now have to pay €168 to buy the software and get access to the emails.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Trish

• Advertisement

Who is your mail provider?
    outlook.com
    gmail
    other?

I'm using Microsoft Outlook and mail provider is Eir however I'm having numerous problems with Eir so am moving to Gmail but need access to my old emails.

We tried repairing Outlook with the Outlook repair tool but no luck so I think I've no choice but pay the €168 to recover my emails.

Yes, Eir mail is pain in the....

It depend how mail account was setup on PC.
    If you still have access to webmail, and outlook app was set to keep mail on server, you should be able to reload all into outlook or at least to forward all historical messages to new gmail/outlook.com account at no cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

I did but it stopped after over an hour and got msg - 'An unexpected error prevented access to this file. Use a disk error checking program to check the disk and then try using the Repair tool again' Disk checked a few times and received the same message above over and over again.

darconio wrote: »

• Advertisement

Thanks. Yes I still have access to webmail. How do I find out if outlook App is set up on server ?? Message I got from Remo was that my Outlook email was corrupted and they recovered and repaired it and if I want access I pay €168 to purchase the software. I can see on the trial that my emails are there but have no access to body of emails until I pay up.
    Yes, Eir mail is pain in the....

It depend how mail account was setup on PC.
    If you still have access to webmail, and outlook app was set to keep mail on server, you should be able to reload all into outlook or at least to forward all historical messages to new gmail/outlook.com account at no cost.

Trish56 wrote: »
    Thanks. Yes I still have access to webmail. How do I find out if outlook App is set up on server ?? Message I got from Remo was that my Outlook email was corrupted and they recovered and repaired it and if I want access I pay €168 to purchase the software. I can see on the trial that my emails are there but have no access to body of emails until I pay up.
    Outlook app settings on PC, not server.
    If it was setup correctly you should still have messages available on the webmail (server).
    Do you see your historical messages on webmail?
    If no, outlook app datafile might be the only copy you have left and recovery needed.
    If yes - forward them to gmail/outlook.com account or set new outlook profile on "good" PC.
    Migrate your mail to gmail/outlook.com

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/office/read-pop3-email-messages-on-multiple-computers-cf375a53-a3df-47c8-b3b6-17f6139bd9d1?ui=en-us&rs=en-ie&ad=ie

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2671941/leave-a-copy-of-the-message-on-the-server-is-missing-in-outlook

Advertisement