Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Drive in the Front Garden? Planning?

Options
  • 04-06-2020 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi All,

Looking to purchase a house on one side of a one way street cul-de-sac with off street parking on the other side of the road on one side (maybe 10 cars), which is always full. There is also double yellow lines right outside the house and the neighboring houses.

The front garden is very wide (10m) and I could knock 1/3 of the boundary wall, keep the pillars and walls for the existing 2/3. This would be the ideal scenario. Note, the house next door has a drive in the garden but unsure if they went for planning, I doubt it.

I know I would need planning permission and this is in an area of architectural conservation but has anyone been through the process with some advice? I know councils aren't happy to consider drives in gardens when there in on street parking but at the same time, there is limited access and parking in the area.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Altering the boundary wall to create an entrance needs planning

Whether it will be granted generally depends on site specifics and precedence in the direct area.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi All,

Looking to purchase a house on one side of a one way street cul-de-sac with off street parking on the other side of the road on one side (maybe 10 cars), which is always full. There is also double yellow lines right outside the house and the neighboring houses.

The front garden is very wide (10m) and I could knock 1/3 of the boundary wall, keep the pillars and walls for the existing 2/3. This would be the ideal scenario. Note, the house next door has a drive in the garden but unsure if they went for planning, I doubt it.

I know I would need planning permission and this is in an area of architectural conservation but has anyone been through the process with some advice? I know councils aren't happy to consider drives in gardens when there in on street parking but at the same time, there is limited access and parking in the area.

Where is the house based?
    Ive lodged a quite a few and 99% have been granted.

Any refusals were because the owner insisted on going wider and/or retention for the increased width was refused. DCC operate a max width of 3.6m for example.

ACA's can be tricky and will depend on surrounding sites.

Advertisement