Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning drawings for attic velux windows

Options
  • 02-06-2020 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm 2 years living in our self build. We have an attic with a fixed stairs for storage but didn't get planning originally for a dormer window up here for a bedroom. So we put the attic plans on the long finger with the intention of applying later on.

Given the need for a home office now, we'd like to apply for planning (DLRCC) for some simple velux windows on one side of the roof.

Can anyone tell me what's involved here? Is there a requirement to get full planning drawings here from our original architect or is this something we could potentially do ourselves given the simplicity of the ask?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

mrsWhippy wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm 2 years living in our self build. We have an attic with a fixed stairs for storage but didn't get planning originally for a dormer window up here for a bedroom. So we put the attic plans on the long finger with the intention of applying later on.

Given the need for a home office now, we'd like to apply for planning (DLRCC) for some simple velux windows on one side of the roof.

Can anyone tell me what's involved here? Is there a requirement to get full planning drawings here from our original architect or is this something we could potentially do ourselves given the simplicity of the ask?

Thanks

Are the Velux to the front?
    If so and planning is required, then there’s no simple process. It’s a full planning application, full set of drawings, newspaper ad, site notice etc

The only benefit to going back to the original architect is that they may have the original plans on computer so should offer some discount as they ‘shouldn’t’ have to carry out a full site survey again.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

Gumbo wrote: »
    Are the Velux to the front?
    If so and planning is required, then there’s no simple process. It’s a full planning application, full set of drawings, newspaper ad, site notice etc

The only benefit to going back to the original architect is that they may have the original plans on computer so should offer some discount as they ‘shouldn’t’ have to carry out a full site survey again.

Thanks. There's no doubt that planning IS required (velux to the side). I guess I'm trying to figure out if it's something we can manage ourselves.

Doesn't look like it. But a full set of drawings required, really?

I'm wary that for such a small job we may not have an alternative than going back to our original architect (and he's not all that responsive atm!). Are firms taking on jobs as small as this these days?!

Recommendations welcome!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks. There's no doubt that planning IS required (velux to the side). I guess I'm trying to figure out if it's something we can manage ourselves.

I'm wary that for such a small job we may not have an alternative than going back to our original architect (and he's not all that responsive atm!). Are firms taking on jobs as small as this these days?!

Recommendations welcome!

Depends on the firm to be honest.
    I know many people in Dublin that got messed about by firms promising to get in touch but never bothered, especially for these small jobs as there’s not a lot of money in them.

With regards the full set of plans, yes, DLRCC will want to see all floors and the details of the works, so that means showing existing and proposed plans, elevations and sections. You will even require the full site layout.

The same criteria applies as if you were going for a full extension unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

As Gumbo says, the majority of work is the same regardless. You still have to provide full drawings of the house, site layouts to see neighbouring properties so planners can see how your development might affect them, public notices, buying OS maps, creating the drawings (existing & proposed), application form etc.

You'll save money regarding design, probably drainage design etc. But other than that, the majority of the work is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

Penn wrote: »
    As Gumbo says, the majority of work is the same regardless. You still have to provide full drawings of the house, site layouts to see neighbouring properties so planners can see how your development might affect them, public notices, buying OS maps, creating the drawings (existing & proposed), application form etc.

You'll save money regarding design, probably drainage design etc. But other than that, the majority of the work is the same.

Jaysus. Original planning only went in 3 years ago so we should have absolutely everything - apart from a drawing of the actual velux windows in the roof :rolleyes:

Can anyone hazard a guess at the cost for this type of work? Thanks all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Jaysus. Original planning only went in 3 years ago so we should have absolutely everything - apart from a drawing of the actual velux windows in the roof :rolleyes:

Can anyone hazard a guess at the cost for this type of work? Thanks all.

I'd suggest getting hold of your original architect, as it'll be significantly less work for them than anyone else. At the very least, you could ask for the autocad drawings if you do want to get someone else to do the application, but he's under no obligation to give them to you.

Advertisement