Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir refusing to cancel parents’ landline

Options
  • 02-06-2020 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭

They keep getting the run around over the phone by these shower of fcuks. All they want to do is cancel the landline they no longer use

It’s setup as a direct debit to their bank account. If they cancel this DD can Eir still bill them?

Has anyone had any success in cancelling with them and how did you succeed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

Complain directly to ComReg - eircom will stall your cancellation efforts until you get them involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

PS

They have Broadband with them too, which they want to keep. The direct debit pays for Landline and Broadband

Is the easiest solution to setup new Broadband with Vodafone and then cancel the direct debit with Eircom?

Complain directly to ComReg - eircom will stall your cancellation efforts until you get them involved.

Surely if the DD with them is cancelled then that’s it?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Why are the refusing to let them cancel? Do they have stand alone broadband that the landline can be cancelled? They may need to keep it to have SABB. Check that first before moving elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

Are they under contract with Eir?
    Have they changed their bundle in the last 12/18 months?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Surely if the DD with them is cancelled then that’s it?

Cancelling your DD with a provider does not mean that your service with them is automatically cancelled!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,095 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

PS

They have Broadband with them too, which they want to keep. The direct debit pays for Landline and Broadband

Is the easiest solution to setup new Broadband with Vodafone and then cancel the direct debit with Eircom?

It is likely that calls + broadband are bundled in the one service.

So it may not be possible to simply cancel one part of the service.

Obviously you can't cancel the landline, as the landline is required for DSL broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

What kind of broadband? You’re aware that xDSL broadband comes in over the landline?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

The broadband and landline come together, you can't cancel landline and keep broadband.

Thanks for the replies

So I’m looking at:

- finding out how long is left on the contract

- if it’s expired, cancelling both the landline and Broadband. And if it hasn’t?

- Getting Vodafone broadband installed a few days before cancelling the direct debit so their not down with WiFi (they both need it daily)

They are not playing nice with them over the phone. So is a written letter enough legal notice to cancel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

You need to check if you can get broadband on its own. The line may require a landline to operate. You need to find out if your exchange is SABB enabled for their house

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

You are either not being clear to them or in the post. If your parents have telephone broadband you can’t separate them as the line is needed.

What broadband are you looking to get for them, Siro, satellite, cable?

I don’t think this is a consumer issue.. more a lack off knowledge issue... no offence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Thanks for the replies

So I’m looking at:

- finding out how long is left on the contract

- if it’s expired, cancelling both the landline and Broadband. And if it hasn’t?

- Getting Vodafone broadband installed a few days before cancelling the direct debit so their not down with WiFi (they both need it daily)

They are not playing nice with them over the phone. So is a written letter enough legal notice to cancel?

Vodafone broadband is still going to require a landline, unless you go for one of their Mobile Broadband products or SIRO (which I doubt you would if the cost of a landline is an issue)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭whippet

its a long drawn out process to get eir to cancel.

After my dad died last year I had some ordeal cancelling the account.

Step 1; called customer support to explain that my dad was dead and wanted to cancel the account. Told to send in a copy of the death cert. Fair enough

Step 2; it takes a while to get the death cert - so when I got it I emailed copy of it to eir requesting cancellation and paid what what owning on the account.

Step 3; receive another bill and DD payment taken out; called in and received apologies - DD will be reversed and account cancelled

Step 4: next quarter receive another bill and discover account wasn't cancelled - DD taken. So managed to log on to his bank account online and cancelled the DD

Step 5: receive threatening letters demanding payments - account still active - call customer care explain everything again - get apology and promised that account will be cancelled.

Step 6: another month later and another demand for payment and threats of legal action - so I emailed a picture of his ashes with a copy of the death cert and requested that all further correspondence is forwarded to his new address at the Columbian Wall in the graveyard.

I haven't heard anything since - but maybe I should check with the parish priest if there is any post or summons there for him

• Registered Users Posts: 26 noa2020

A Carphone Warehouse store will and can do this for you (well at least when I worked there, we did).

As others said, whether or not you can do it depends on the connection but the can check for you. The system is complicated enough so an inexperienced employee might be put off so maybe approach a manager. You’ll have to resign for 12 months for the broadband though. Not too sure how much of a price reduction you’ll see, it depends on the way the original salesperson in Eir set up the account

Advertisement