Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgrad Course for Leadership Position

Options
  • 31-05-2020 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I am a primary teacher. I am just wondering what postgraduate courses would be seen as most beneficial when applying for a leadership position in education (VP, principal, inspectorate, or other). I have a Bachelor of Education and a Master of Education already. I am looking at a Post Grad in Educational Leadership, or would a Post Grad in Management/Leadership/Project Management (not education specific) be better, so I don't appear overly limited in my training. Would a post grad be necessary when I already have a Masters, and should I pursue a PhD instead?

Thanks in advance. Had never thought about a leadership position until recently and want to give myself the best possible chance of succeeding in this endeavor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭scrubs33

I am a primary teacher. I am just wondering what postgraduate courses would be seen as most beneficial when applying for a leadership position in education (VP, principal, inspectorate, or other). I have a Bachelor of Education and a Master of Education already. I am looking at a Post Grad in Educational Leadership, or would a Post Grad in Management/Leadership/Project Management (not education specific) be better, so I don't appear overly limited in my training. Would a post grad be necessary when I already have a Masters, and should I pursue a PhD instead?

Thanks in advance. Had never thought about a leadership position until recently and want to give myself the best possible chance of succeeding in this endeavor.
    I’m secondary so my take might not be 100% applicable to you but in our place it is very clear who the next P and DP are going to be (current post holders hand picked for jobs/posts by the current P which were not advertised or made available to all staff) and they have been doing the leadership courses offered by the school patron. These are short, maybe 8 week courses, in the local education center focused on promoting that patrons ideals, values etc. I’m not sure if anything like that exists at primary however? Best of luck with whatever you decide to do especially if it’s the PhD

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

I would do the postgrad in Maynooth it seems to be the best so far. I did the 12 week course that LIT ran and I found it very beneficial. However I went for two posts and scores were a handful of marks apart each time. Just be wary of candidates who are buddies with management. They'll walk it no matter how much experience you have doing the job...for years and for free!

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Probably be better off keeping your money unless you are well connected with the interview board, the GAA or local politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

I've said this in a number of threads but the first three responses here really hit the nail on the head. It's so depressing. We have an OP who wants to better him/herself, has done so already with a Masters, and is receiving the (correct) advice that they shouldn't bother unless they are 'in' with management.

Something needs to be done about appointments in schools. There are many, many Principals handing out jobs based on nepotism, who they know etc. Anything other than merit. It's time the issue was addressed. I'll be ruffling feathers in my union branch as soon as I'm made permanent.

Our sector, above all others, should be encouraging and rewarding people like the OP, who has the drive to pursue a PhD.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

I did the course in Maynooth and got a job as DP in a post primary as an external candidate in a different sector. I enjoyed the course. So I would say go for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement