Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Angelis (r.i.p.).

Options
  • 31-05-2020 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭

Michael Angelis has passed ,aged 68.

One of my earliest/colour t.v. memories was of Michael playing Lucien in the Liver Birds. As a kid ,I loved the sing/song theme music, and Lucien was a character that was as unthreatening and innocent as they come.

In the early 80's he played "Chrissie" in "boys from the black stuff". Chrissie started out a bit like "Lucien". But, in Thatchers Liverpool of high unemployment, his good nature cracked under the pressure of trying to provide for a wife and two kids. "Chrissie" got reported for taking on a day/afternoons work (work he took up to catch up on debt). In that programme Julie Walters played his wife. Some of the best/most heart-breaking scenes , played out between these two fine actors.

If you have never heard of Michael Angelis ,there is a chance you may have watched him(unknowingly) in a film/t.v. programme.

" I breed rabbits ,you know."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You forgot to mention his greatest role narrating that gritty British railway drama

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

You forgot to mention his greatest role narrating that gritty British railway drama

Had to leave something for the replies, he will always be "Lucien" to me!
    Somebody had to replace one of the best drummers in "the Beatles" on that narration. Fine job he made of that role ,too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Thoughts go out to Leonardo and the rest of the lads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I didn't know he had been married to Helen Worth (Gail Platt). I remember him best from 'Auf Wiedersehen Pet'. R.I.P.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Thoughts go out to Leonardo and the rest of the lads.

I see what you did there! It takes a hard shell to make a joke of this fine actor. Still,it's A.H.,and a good dose of Irish/Liverpudlian humour seems fitting as well.

• Advertisement

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    Michael Angelis has passed ,aged 68.

One of my earliest/colour t.v. memories was of Michael playing Lucien in the Liver Birds. As a kid ,I loved the sing/song theme music, and Lucien was a character that was as unthreatening and innocent as they come.

In the early 80's he played "Chrissie" in "boys from the black stuff". Chrissie started out a bit like "Lucien". But, in Thatchers Liverpool of high unemployment, his good nature cracked under the pressure of trying to provide for a wife and two kids. "Chrissie" got reported for taking on a day/afternoons work (work he took up to catch up on debt). In that programme Julie Walters played his wife. Some of the best/most heart-breaking scenes , played out between these two fine actors.

If you have never heard of Michael Angelis ,there is a chance you may have watched him(unknowingly) in a film/t.v. programme.

" I breed rabbits ,you know."

- I have in my head the line “somebody stole me rabbits” - was there an episode of the liver birds where that happened?

- I have in my head the line “somebody stole me rabbits” - was there an episode of the liver birds where that happened?

More than likely. "Rabbits" and anything to do with rabbits, was his character signature/punchline.

Advertisement