Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment Aerial/Broadband - low Mbps

Options
  • 30-05-2020 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

Apologies if this is in the wrong area but looking for some help or to be pointed in the right direction. Also I'm giving all the info before I ask my question hence the long back story.

I live in an apartment, there is a shared dish for tv, there are two aerial lines into the apartment. The aerial points along with all phone cables come into a main control panel in a press where the modem is kept. There are points throughout the apartment where you can plug in an ethernet cable and a phone line along with two tv aerial points in the sitting room and an aerial point each in the two bedrooms.

On the main control panel in the press, there is a splitter to try and get the satellite tv into all of the bedrooms and sitting room. I have sky tv that uses up both of the aerial cables, there is also a dls splitter from sky and I have a splitter for the satellite tv, it sort of works when there are two of us watching tv in different rooms, one in the sitting room and one in a bedroom will work but both bedrooms wont work at the same time.

My broadband comes through the phone line ( not sure of the correct term to describe that) so I basically have 4 Mbps download and I'm lucky to get 0.5 for upload. With working from home, I'm struggling with all the video calls, the signal just isn't good enough. I've been told by eir that the best I can get is 5Mbps. I'm based in Dublin and my neighbours who have virgin media can get a lot more, 250 Mbps because they are using one line for the broadband and one for their tv. This is what my neighbour said was the reason, I'm not sure how broadband comes through the aerial points in the apartment or why using the two for sky tv means the broadband is bad.

I tried to call eir but we all know how that went, I didn't get through and they haven't answered my DMs.

My question is can I get additional aerial cables installed in my apartment, that would allow me to have better broadband?

Who would I look for to install the aerials? Is it a tv installation person? I know there is a comms room somewhere in the block, I asked my management company but they didn't seem to know what the answer would be. The block isn't due to get fiber broadband any time soon so I'd like to try alternatives to solve this if possible.

I'm hoping as well if I had more aerial cables than maybe I can get the tv to work in the other rooms at the same time too but that really isn't a priority.

What do you think? Could additional aerials help?

If you read until the end, thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭vandriver

Are the neighbours on Virgin in your apartment block?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Rowrow

hi,
    Yeah some have Virgin Media for their internet and tv, some have sky for internet and tv and others just have sky tv or a mix. When I first moved in we were told we were only allowed use sky for tv but that's since changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sky TV is broadcast from their dish to your dish, the broadband coming over the phone network.

Virgin send *everything* over their cable which looks like the satellite cable but is connected to a street cabinet not a dish. If Virgin are in the building and your phone line is only good for 5Mb ADSL then move over to them. No brainer. 360Mb. Be aware that skys TV experience is way better than Virgins, the Horizon STB is horribly dated at this point.

Oh so nothing to do with the aerial then, thanks for that explanation, that's helpful. I've only recently switched to eir to save money so I'm going to have to wait a while before I can get out of the contract.

So I guess I'm stuck with the 4mbps I'm getting for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

You could ask your employer if they'd consider paying for Virgin Media (or partially paying). At least until you are out of contract with eir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Depends on how the apartment is set up but your best chance is to contact Virgin and see what they can do. If your neighbours can get it you most likely can too.

Thanks for all the help everyone. Unfortunately my employer is not in a position to help with paying for the broadband. For important meetings I can hotspot of my mobile for the time being as I can't pay for eir and for virgin media at the same time.
    Thanks again.

Advertisement