Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting close passes to AGS or traffic watch

Options
  • 30-05-2020 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Mr. Lemon who's gotten a bit pudgy lately decided to burn it off by going for his first 10k cycle (5km) each way in a while.

He came to a narrow one-way section and was squeezed by another car.

He waved at the car and gestured with his thumb and index finger as if to say "too close".

The car swerved into a supermarket carpark. He followed him in and a man got out of the passenger side with and stared at him.

Mr Lemon said "that was way too close", the driver got out and flew into a rage telling him to learn the rules of the road. No matter what Mr Lemon said or attempted to say, he just kept roaring louder and louder "learn the effing rules of the road".

He told Mr Lemon to get a license and drive and not to hold up traffic (Mr Lemon has driven buses before but whatever).

The exchange eventually ended with him saying to Mr Lemon he won't be lucky the next time and he will knock him off the bike if he sees him again.

Mr Lemon said he was going to forget the situation but he'll change his mind and call traffic watch over the comment.

The man said he'll get a solicitor over breach of privacy and GDPR if Lemon writes down the reg.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

TrafficWatch, if even just for the hassle factor for the motorist.

Don't suppose anything was on camera?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Your man is talking through his hole about GDPR and breach of privacy in relation to the reg. Sounds like a nutjob

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Report to the Gardai.

If you dont then that asshole gets away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Mod Note: Please aquaint yourself with the charter before posing in here again. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056113049
    Any further comments of that nature and you will get a card.
    Do not post in this thread again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Seriously sick of cyclists, would love to report the amount of them bombing around the Phoenix Park today on the pedestrian side not giving a toss about anyone except themselves. Cyclists need to be made pass a test, have speed limits and pay road tax like all other road users. If you find out who to report the driver to let me know as I plan on reporting cyclists, oh wait, no reg numbers... add that to whats needed too.
    hello and welcome to the cycling forum. please have a read of the cycling forum charter, specifically in relation to anti-cyclist sentiment and let that inform your posting style here in future.

don't post in this thread again, and if you've any questions, PM me. thank you.

at the other posters, please don't respond further to that post as the poster is unable to respond.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

"TK wrote:
    The man said he'll get a solicitor over breach of privacy and GDPR if Lemon writes down the reg.

Any advice?

Hahaha. Wow. That's a new level of stupidity from someone. He sounds like he's thick and dangerous to be honest

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Off Topic Posts Deleted

How long has it been MOTOR tax, 15 years, 20 years? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

OP, can you clarify that your partner was not cycling against traffic on what appears to be a one way street from your description?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TK Lemon

OP, can you clarify that your partner was not cycling against traffic on what appears to be a one way street from your description?

Thanks for the reply. :)

For clarity, I meant to say a narrow street with stop/go traffic lights which only allows traffic to flow in one direction at any given time. Mr Lemon was going with the flow of traffic and did not break any red lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Well, you did say he threatened to murder you. I think the police should take an interest in that. Then again, have you any evidence of any of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Why did he go after him in the car park, there are idiots on the road, just accept it and move on
    If you've no video as proof the AGS will just put it down as no further action to be taken

• Registered Users Posts: 24 juicer

Why did he go after him in the car park, there are idiots on the road, just accept it and move on
    If you've no video as proof the AGS will just put it down as no further action to be taken

If we ignore this kind of behaviour nothing gets done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭tnegun

Nothing is done anyway I've reported 3 of the worst incidents I've had over the last few years and nothing significant has come of any of them. I've spent hours chasing Guards just trying to give a statement and got fed up calling the station for an update as the guard is on his days off, on leave, out in the car, taking a statement or has 100s of active cases so will get to mine in turn and never does. It's simply a waste of time and chasing single guards/incidents will change nothing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

OP, get onto Traffic Watch. The driver sounds dangerous and unhinged. I have had a good follow up from them, It depends on where it happened and how interested the guards there are in it but the ones out by me are excellent.
    It's important to report dangerous driving if you can, so they don't do it to someone more vulnerable, the outcome may be a lot worse.

I hope Mr. Lemon keeps on pedalling, the addiction should be kicking in soon!

Thanks for all the replies so far. :)

Mr Lemon will have to wait until Tuesday to make a call for Traffic Watch to reopen.

If he does make the call and the Gardai confront the driver, he’ll probably just deny it anyway as there’s no camera evidence.

Could Mr Lemon be charged for wasting Garda time for that?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

TK Lemon wrote: »
    There are two options: make a statement and formally report the driver which may lead to a court appearance or allow the gardai to give a verbal warning to the driver.
    Either way, Mr. Lemon will not be in any trouble.
    Remember it is his word against the drivers so unlikely anything will come out of it.

No. Making a complaint is not wasting time unless it's blatantly fictitious

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

There are two options: make a statement and formally report the driver which may lead to a court appearance or allow the gardai to give a verbal warning to the driver.
    Either way, Mr. Lemon will not be in any trouble.
    Remember it is his word against the drivers so unlikely anything will come out of it.

Two thing I'd say about this.

1) this individual sounds like he has a bit of a road rage problem; so it's not that unlikely that he's had run ins with the law before, so AGS may well be interested in getting him off the road, if this is his normal behaviour.

2) if he has road rage problem, the next cyclist or pedestrian or whomever, may not be so lucky !

fishfoodie wrote: »
    Two thing I'd say about this.

1) this individual sounds like he has a bit of a road rage problem; so it's not that unlikely that he's had run ins with the law before, so AGS may well be interested in getting him off the road, if this is his normal behaviour.

2) if he has road rage problem, the next cyclist or pedestrian or whomever, may not be so lucky !

1, previous history of complaints means nothing in a current investigation.

2. That's true enough but it seems like Mr lemon had a bit of a problem too. After all, he was the one that made the approach.

• Advertisement

The exchange eventually ended with him saying to Mr Lemon he won't be lucky the next time and he will knock him off the bike if he sees him again.

This statement, out of all the subsequent noise on the thread, is reason alone to pursue this to the bitter end.

How fcuking dare some cnut utter that to a VRU.

Hi all.

An update to the incident. Mr. Lemon reported to traffic watch but didn't think he'd get far (his word vs the other man's word).

The operator asked him if he had a hi-vis on, he said he didn't.

He hasn't heard back since.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

1, previous history of complaints means nothing in a current investigation.

I've had Gardai tell me, while investigating complaints that I've made, that the driver has a clean record, or on two occasions, that the driver has a not-so-clean record.

2. That's true enough but it seems like Mr lemon had a bit of a problem too. After all, he was the one that made the approach.
    What's the problem with one adult approaching another adult?

Do you get the difference between approaching an other adult and threatening to kill another adult?
    The operator asked him if he had a hi-vis on, he said he didn't.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47085883e62c9721184152b12d8de38b8e61ccd21e&rid=giphy.gif

Advertisement