Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best 4G+ Modem

Options
  • 30-05-2020 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭

I'm going to try out vodafone broadband but don't want to enter into a 12 month contract to get the huawei B818 (and I'm not sure their one has a LAN port on it anyway). What's the best, preferable cheap device to get that converts the 4G signal into ethernet, allowing me to plug it into my main router WAN port via ethernet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The modem only units are prosumer/enterprise(for oob), thus you kinda have to buy all the wifi/routing bits you dont need.

E5186 or a B612. B593 is probably cheap on EBAY but its not LTE-A(4G+) so you won't benefit from multiple cells.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

ED E wrote: »
    The modem only units are prosumer/enterprise(for oob), thus you kinda have to buy all the wifi/routing bits you dont need.

E5186 or a B612. B593 is probably cheap on EBAY but its not LTE-A(4G+) so you won't benefit from multiple cells.

Does not benefiting from multiple cells with the B593 matter when my speed is capped at 10 Mbps anyway or would I still be better off buying one of the first two?

Edit: I found this on amazon - would there be any reason not to get this instead of the others you mentioned? Routing functions, DHCP etc. will be through my main router. Literally just want something to connect 4G internet to WAN port.

Thanks in advance

You'd have to make an educated prediction with that.

LTE-A allows for headline speeds like 400Mb which is great but really its purpose is to raise the bottom of the chart, make sure in worst conditions everyone gets "enough". If your house is covered by a few cells and currently speeds are great (I think I saw your speed tests in another thread) then at the moment the 10Mb cap on a single cell wouldnt be an issue. But if in 12mo time there's 35% more traffic on the cell (thats current YoY growth) and no sign of any 5G anywhere near then you might find the peak time speed falling sub 10Mb and the second cell could smooth over those dips.

You're probably safe if you're buying for a years use but if you expect to still be on cellular (with VF or another) in 18mo then maybe go straight for the better device.

Also note there are regional versions like B593-nn, those tail numbers set what bands it supports so ensure you get one that supports LTE FDD B20 and B3.

You'd have to make an educated prediction with that.

LTE-A allows for headline speeds like 400Mb which is great but really its purpose is to raise the bottom of the chart, make sure in worst conditions everyone gets "enough". If your house is covered by a few cells and currently speeds are great (I think I saw your speed tests in another thread) then at the moment the 10Mb cap on a single cell wouldnt be an issue. But if in 12mo time there's 35% more traffic on the cell (thats current YoY growth) and no sign of any 5G anywhere near then you might find the peak time speed falling sub 10Mb and the second cell could smooth over those dips.

You're probably safe if you're buying for a years use but if you expect to still be on cellular (with VF or another) in 18mo then maybe go straight for the better device.

Also note there are regional versions like B593-nn, those tail numbers set what bands it supports so ensure you get one that supports LTE FDD B20 and B3.

Thanks for all that. I can't see more traffic being an issue. Very rural location that is almost all included in eir FTTH apart from my home and 3-4 others. I found an old huawei mobile wifi dongle. Will put router in client mode with that when I get the sim to see what it's like first and invest in a router then if it's a success. I presume a wired connection from router > WAN port of my home network is better than a router in client mode picking up dongle wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

daraghwal wrote: »
    Thanks for all that. I can't see more traffic being an issue. Very rural location that is almost all included in eir FTTH apart from my home and 3-4 others. I found an old huawei mobile wifi dongle. Will put router in client mode with that when I get the sim to see what it's like first and invest in a router then if it's a success. I presume a wired connection from router > WAN port of my home network is better than a router in client mode picking up dongle wifi.

My own experience is that anything dongle really doesn't come close to the desktop type 4G routers, especially if dealing with fringe-medium level signal/quality. I just wouldn't discount mobile as a solution based solely on whatever your experience is with the dongle setup. Amazon can be great for returns etc. if you want to give it a go.

One thing to be mindful of is that few or any that I've seen of these consumer 4G routers have a bridge mode so you will most likely be double NATing if you're offloading routing, DHCP etc. to your main router. It doesn't affect most people anyways but it's just something to be aware of. If it is something you need, I'd recommend getting the E5186 as it can be flashed with a german version of firmware that does allow bridging. Granted this is all assuming there's no carrier grade NAT going on with Vodafone in the first place.

Jim

• Advertisement

westyIrl wrote: »
    Granted this is all assuming there's no carrier grade NAT going on with Vodafone in the first place.

I'd bet there probably is.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭rardagh

I'm going to try out vodafone broadband but don't want to enter into a 12 month contract to get the huawei B818 (and I'm not sure their one has a LAN port on it anyway). What's the best, preferable cheap device to get that converts the 4G signal into ethernet, allowing me to plug it into my main router WAN port via ethernet?

I'd recommend the B818. It's a great device and it does have a LAN port on it. I have used one reliably for six months now, and it's worth the investment in terms of both LTE connectivity and WiFi coverage in the home.

If you are in a difficult coverage area, I'd recommend looking at using a LTE device with an external antenna. I've used the B2368 and it's a great box that can really solidify your connection in a weaker signal strength area. It also has LAN ports.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Charliefoxtrot

Hi there,

I know very little about this stuff. My parents have a very poor broadband line running to their house constantly losing connection. Having done a bit of googling I am considering going for the Vodafone B818 device for €40 a month and 12 months contract. There is a 4G signal Receivable on the roof of their house (climbed up and was able to get it on my Vodafone phone) but not in the house itself. You mentioned a B2368 product that boosts the signal. Where can I get one of these? I see the following product on eBay “ LTE 4G MODEM Huawei B2368-A01 Professional outdoor router CAT12 Unlocked all SIM.” Is this what you are referring to above and will this do the trick when connected to the B818 device? Thank you.

Ciaran

rardagh wrote: »
    I'd recommend the B818. It's a great device and it does have a LAN port on it. I have used one reliably for six months now, and it's worth the investment in terms of both LTE connectivity and WiFi coverage in the home.

If you are in a difficult coverage area, I'd recommend looking at using a LTE device with an external antenna. I've used the B2368 and it's a great box that can really solidify your connection in a weaker signal strength area. It also has LAN ports.

R

You need something like this:
    https://www.4gltemall.com/vodafone-gigacube-cat19-4g-external-antenna.html

Any TS-9 x2 panel antenna should really do. Work out where the cell serving you is in order to aim it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

You need something like this:
    https://www.4gltemall.com/vodafone-gigacube-cat19-4g-external-antenna.html

Any TS-9 x2 panel antenna should really do. Work out where the cell serving you is in order to aim it.
    Them TS-9 look like joke for this purpose, especially that most common connector is 90° - barely enough room to fit. Remember keep popping out from MiFi back in time - duct tape fix
    For decent antenna you need good quality cable, usually ~4-5mm, common with SMA.
    Wonder why Huawei couldn't do same as B593, B5186 or B525...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 sarah1978

Hi there know so little re all this. So forgive me ! I've gone into 12 months contract with Vodafone on this router. Finally quick Internet. But my question is it is not picked up jn kitchen area if its upstairs. When I got it they said I would. Anyone any idea why its not. I've an LG tv and it keeps.dropping my sky Internet connection so wanted this to go.jnto my TV but if I keep.it upstairs it won't connect.
    Also I have the router connected to lu laptop via Ethernet but am I right thinking I don't need to have it plugged in once its near it. Thanks so much in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭naughto

sarah1978 wrote: »
    Hi there know so little re all this. So forgive me ! I've gone into 12 months contract with Vodafone on this router. Finally quick Internet. But my question is it is not picked up jn kitchen area if its upstairs. When I got it they said I would. Anyone any idea why its not. I've an LG tv and it keeps.dropping my sky Internet connection so wanted this to go.jnto my TV but if I keep.it upstairs it won't connect.
    Also I have the router connected to lu laptop via Ethernet but am I right thinking I don't need to have it plugged in once its near it. Thanks so much in advance.

Home plugs

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭bergipau

What about the HUAWEI B535? All reports I have read are good and the price is ok also.
    I am thinking about using one with an external antenna (if needed)

naughto wrote: »
    Home plugs

??

??

Does the router you have from Vodafone have an ethernet port? If it does you could set up this. It extends the wifi via the electrical wiring in your house. You plug in one into the wall and router, and the other somewhere else in the house where you have a dead spot with no wifi https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LXOZ4EN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_.d0dGbTAK8NTH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭naughto

bergipau wrote: »
    What about the HUAWEI B535? All reports I have read are good and the price is ok also.
    I am thinking about using one with an external antenna (if needed)

This is what I have I dropped mine to 3g as it was a better stable connection I also left the antenna of it

Thank you for your replies.
    the vodafone huawei has an ethernet port.

so are you saying i should plug via ethernet cable that directly to sky router?? or are you saying i should plug a tp link into the vodafone router?

i had a tp link when i had sky and it was brilliant. but once i upgraded to sky q the tp link was constantly making sky not work so i abandoned the tp link?

Thank you for your replies.
    the vodafone huawei has an ethernet port.

so are you saying i should plug via ethernet cable that directly to sky router?? or are you saying i should plug a tp link into the vodafone router?

i had a tp link when i had sky and it was brilliant. but once i upgraded to sky q the tp link was constantly making sky not work so i abandoned the tp link?

Are you saying you have two internet connections? Paying for one from sky and one from vodafone? If the sky one is useless and the vodafone one works, use what I linked above. It will get the signal from the vodafone router upstairs, then send it via the electrical wiring in your house to wherever you plug it in (the kitchen or at the back of the LG tv and you can plug directly from the lg tv into it).

Are you saying you have two internet connections? Paying for one from sky and one from vodafone? If the sky one is useless and the vodafone one works, use what I linked above. It will get the signal from the vodafone router upstairs, then send it via the electrical wiring in your house to wherever you plug it in (the kitchen or at the back of the LG tv and you can plug directly from the lg tv into it).

Thank you so much!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

was going to buy this TP-Link off Amazon but a couple of reviews say :
    "The TP-Link MR600 simply will not establish a 4G+ connection with the Three UK MNO as has been confirmed by TP-Link themselves in the TP-Link SMB Community forums.TP-Link state, and I quote "it is more related to the hardware limitation"
    Not a very promising statement."

and
    first off 4G+, if you want to use this it doesn't work with almost every network, 3 , O2 vodafone, i tested it and they don't work at all.
    i'm less than a mile from the tower and can see it from my house, the bands used here are 1,3,20,7 & 40 and i can't use carrier aggregation with any of them

So not seeing anything locally I'm thinking Huawei B612

542308.JPG

Can anyone confirm this is OK for 4G+ (with CA ) and supports LTE FDD B20 and B3.

Thanks, what would it max speed be used on the Three 4g network ?

It's here on Ali for €110 : Unlocked Huawei B612

I'm currently using a B593s-22 with an external antenna .. assume the SMA connections would be the same ?

They dont tend to publish the CA matrix each unit uses which is annoying but it should be fine. CAT6 is in theory limiting but in practice most of the time should be fine. If cell load is zero you should be able to hit 250Mb.

612s-25d
    ^Make sure to order the 25D

Connectors are SMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Gooser14

I'm currently using a Huawei B593-22 but am thinking of getting a Huawei B535-232. What are the benefits from doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Gooser14 wrote: »
    I'm currently using a Huawei B593-22 but am thinking of getting a Huawei B535-232. What are the benefits from doing this?
    benefits: 1000Mbps vs 100 on LAN, 5Ghz on WiFi, 4G+ (aka CA), but still just CAT7
    down side: no RJ11 for mobile calls (or should i call it landline :D)

Considering I've a CAT16 Qualcomm (aka better than HiSilicon) radio in a €160 handset says a lot about the value of LTE CPE. B535 is fine but considering the bandwidth being provided to high sites (to support massive 5G burst) in the last few months being able to slurp data makes a lot of sense.

B715s-23c is probably what I'd buy if I moved to Tipp tomorrow.

Advertisement