Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worldometer- population increase.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That site should be banned! :D It's like looking at a debt clock or the number of species and plant varieties that are made extinct. A bit depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

That site should be banned! :D It's like looking at a debt clock or the number of species and plant varieties that are made extinct. A bit depressing.

Bit mad alright but puts things in perspective.

Maltesers are delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Perhaps we should leave Coronavirus do it’s thing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Whenever anyone complains about overpopulation, my gut instinct is to tell them... "Ok, you go first then".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Mulberrytree

Mark Shaw wrote: »
    Apparently there will be a billion extra Africans by 2050.

I'm looking forward to my twin nephews imminent birth on said continent, which, by the way, is mostly empty. And to my very large extended family welcoming more little babies
    on that same continent, because I love my family in the same way people in more affluent parts of the world do.
    I want them to have children if that's their wish (the ones that want to anyway), to have the option to choose even though contraceptives are free (as in available without payment) and widely available for those who don't (and I've a few that vocally don't). But it's such a personal decision isn't it? Not one anyone else can make or force, right? Just like say, right here, where it's noones business what your fertility status or inclination to have children is, right?.

There'll also be a lot more than the billion ALREADY present on the Indian subcontinent and the billion ALREADY present in China pretty soon, regardless of China's family policies.

But let's focus on Africa, by all means. Ignoring the upward trajectory of population increases across the globe in general, including central America, with improved health and development indices. Let's focus on a half empty continent the size of which is larger than China and the USA combined and ignore population increases elsewhere, right???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

There's enough for everyone's need but not for everyone's greed.

This overpopulation stuff is bogus. Too much in comparison to what? Resources? What level of resources? Land availability?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I wonder how many of the billion extra Africans will come to Europe illegally.

I wonder how many of the billion extra Africans will come to Europe illegally.

79% is my conservative estimate, and they'll mostly target Sweden and Germany to further annoy people who have never set foot there.

79% is my conservative estimate, and they'll mostly target Sweden and Germany to further annoy people who have never set foot there.

I’ve been to each more than once.

• Advertisement

I’ve been to each more than once.

That's a relief. With your local knowledge we can start a two man patrol. I'll keep an eye out in Hamburg, you take Malmo.

That's a relief. With your local knowledge we can start a two man patrol. I'll keep an eye out in Hamburg, you take Malmo.

Sounds like a plan. I’ll supply the baseball bats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Surely this isn't sustainable??

https://www.worldometers.info/

this could be a solution?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Peak population is expected to be about 11Bn in 2100.

We can make food easily. Only the poor would starve.
    https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fsufs.2019.00032/full
    In 1979, a 600 t bioreactor with a working volume of 1 500 m3 was installed at the ICI Pruteen factory in Billingham in the northeast of England (Bungard, 1992). The ICI Pruteen bioreactor was 60 m tall with a maximum internal diameter of 11 m and an annual productivity of 50 000–60 000 t dry bacterial biomass to be used as animal feed

It's not Soylent Green. You can use methane as the carbon and energy source. You can even make it from carbon dioxide if you have enough energy. Nitrogen can be harvested from the air all you need is energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

I'm looking forward to my twin nephews imminent birth on said continent, which, by the way, is mostly empty. And to my very large extended family welcoming more little babies
    on that same continent, because I love my family in the same way people in more affluent parts of the world do.
    I want them to have children if that's their wish (the ones that want to anyway), to have the option to choose even though contraceptives are free (as in available without payment) and widely available for those who don't (and I've a few that vocally don't). But it's such a personal decision isn't it? Not one anyone else can make or force, right? Just like say, right here, where it's noones business what your fertility status or inclination to have children is, right?.

There'll also be a lot more than the billion ALREADY present on the Indian subcontinent and the billion ALREADY present in China pretty soon, regardless of China's family policies.

But let's focus on Africa, by all means. Ignoring the upward trajectory of population increases across the globe in general, including central America, with improved health and development indices. Let's focus on a half empty continent the size of which is larger than China and the USA combined and ignore population increases elsewhere, right???
    Yeah, cause the size of the region is the only factor in how many people it can support. :confused::rolleyes:

Advertisement