Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First antenatal appointment

Options
  • 29-05-2020 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

I'm wondering has anyone been called for their first hospital appointment at only 9+4, it's my 4th baby and.ive never had an appointment so early, I'm going to limerick and it has always been 12-13 weeks. I rang the hospital and they said the doctor says when someone should be seen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Always 12 to 13 weeks for my 3 appointments in nmh. I wouldn't be too happy with one that early unless they were going to scan me again around the 12 week mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I had my booking appointment at just under 10 weeks but I pushed for another scan a few weeks later because I lost my first pregnancy. In fairness to the Rotunda (public) they booked me in with no issues and just added it to my list of other appointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Yes, this is my second pregnancy and I had my booking appt at 8+3, dating scan was separate at 12+4. I have an underactive thyroid and a friend working in phlebotomy in the hospital told me that's probably why I was in so early. So you have any underlying health conditions, or did you have any complications with your previous pregnancies?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 countrylife123

I am booked in to Limerick for first appointment, will be exactly 10weeks. I thought it was a bit early too, but have recently been through some serious health issues so maybe that is why. Will 10weeks be enough to be able to see anything on scans?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Cokezero

I was giviven 14+5 for my first antenatal scan in limerick. Its my first pregnancy and I was a bit upset at it being so late as I was very nauseous and nervous! I called them. And they said it was their policy that you had to be at least 13 weeks. They gave me one for 13+4 which I was much happier taking in the end!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 countrylife123

Wow Cokezero, 14+5 seems like a long time alright, I can’t imagine having to wait that long! Glad you got one for a bit earlier, strange that they said you have to be 13 weeks. As I said, I have had some serious health issues the last year or two so maybe as to why it seems to be quite an early appointment. Half thinking now of booking a private one to see if other half will be able to come too, given the situation, but it may even be way too early yet for that !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

On my third pregnancy in NMH I had my first appointment at just over eight weeks. The other two times it was about 12 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭New farmers wife

I've a private a scan booked and I'll be 8+2, we always go for a private scan around then,you don't see much but once everything is OK I don't mind. I'm pretty sure I was 13 and a half weeks on my last pregnancy and measured 8 days ahead so I was nearly 15 weeks. I just think it seems way too early at 9+4 for first appointment. I don't want to go and end up them saying you're not supposed to be here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

I've a private a scan booked and I'll be 8+2, we always go for a private scan around then,you don't see much but once everything is OK I don't mind. I'm pretty sure I was 13 and a half weeks on my last pregnancy and measured 8 days ahead so I was nearly 15 weeks. I just think it seems way too early at 9+4 for first appointment. I don't want to go and end up them saying you're not supposed to be here

If you've already been told that the doctor decides when you should be seen then they must be confident that the appt is ok for your stage in pregnancy so I cant imagine anyone saying you're not supposed to be there. If they cant see enough on your scan they'll surely call you back to repeat that part. As for the actual booking appt I dont think it matters much as they're just doing bloods, urine, medical history.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 acm630

In a lot of countries the first scan comes a good bit before 12 weeks (I think 8-10?), so I don't think it's necessarily way too early - if anything, my friends at home were astonished that nobody took a look before 13 weeks. But the 20-week scan is the important one anyway, isn't it? You probably won't be able to find out gender at an earlier scan, but that's often true of 12-week scans anyway. I think at that point they're just measuring the baby and making sure that there's nothing totally out of the norm (or 2 of them!!) and getting those baseline bloods/urine/pressure for reference later in the pregnancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I'm wondering has anyone been called for their first hospital appointment at only 9+4, it's my 4th baby and.ive never had an appointment so early, I'm going to limerick and it has always been 12-13 weeks. I rang the hospital and they said the doctor says when someone should be seen.

Sure that’s fantastic, very efficient! Saves you a few €€ on private scan.
    My consultant sees me from 7 weeks but I like to wait till I am 8 weeks just in case I am behind....prefer an abdominal scan rather than an internal one! :)
    Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Ewahstank

When you go for a private scan (I will be 9 weeks +2 days) is it an internal or abdominal? Not sure what to expect...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Ewahstank wrote: »
    When you go for a private scan (I will be 9 weeks +2 days) is it an internal or abdominal? Not sure what to expect...

External

Advertisement