Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat/Extend 2 separate wifi sources as a single SSID

Options
  • 27-05-2020 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

So I have a "smart" TV that can only remember a single SSID as a wifi source. It connects to the internet via mobile hotspot from either my phone or the wife's, depending on who's at home watching the TV. It's a royal pain to keep manually switching networks and reentering wifi passwords in the TV settings if the previous user is not at home.

So my idea was to have a wifi repeater in the house that is capable of remembering the 2 mobile hotspots as sources, but broadcast a single SSID that the TV can remember, whoever is at home. Is this possible as I can't seem to find specific reference to it in various tech specs online?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

I don't have a solution and not sure it works but..
    Did you try having same SSID/password set up on each phone ? Or does that cause other issues for your ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bren_s

I don't have a solution and not sure it works but..
    Did you try having same SSID/password set up on each phone ? Or does that cause other issues for your ?

That might work, but I'd rather not go that way as we have multiple other devices that also connect to the hotspots independently. I need a bit more control over what connects to what if you know what I mean mean.

What do you use the smart functions on your TV for ? Maybe it is easier to get a Roku/Amazon stick ? Pretty sure those just connect to the wifi signal hat is available to them

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bren_s

It has the built-in apps like Netflix and YouTube and some catch-up services with one touch buttons on the remote, so it's handy that way (especially for herself ;). I might have to go that route.

bren_s wrote: »
    It has the built-in apps like Netflix and YouTube and some catch-up services with one touch buttons on the remote, so it's handy that way (especially for herself ;). I might have to go that route.

Not sure I can help you with those issues :D
    But Roku is really easy to navigate- big icons on a screen ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Get a GoMo SIM and an LTE router and stop the faff.

Advertisement