Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some guidance

Options
  • 27-05-2020 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello.

I don't know if this is the correct forum or allowed but I will give it a go.

I'm looking for some thoughts.

I have been working in a sort of, IT role for the last 6 years but it's not related to my degree at all (engineering). I feel more like an admin than anything. I feel it is very niche. I spend all my days in spreadsheets.

I left college 7 years ago. Roles have come up that I would like but I wouldn't be selected for them. My feelings were known and was never seen as an option.I guess I am not good enough, I suppose I don't disagree.

I have worries about my next job. I know I won't stay with one company all my life, and I don't want to anyways as I want to move location eventually.

I even just browse job sites and I can't see any jobs that I think I would be suited for with the experience I have.

Current job is comfortable, commute is good, money is fine (although I'd probably make 20+% more in the field I would like.

Just looking for some thoughts really, about where you see my career going. You think I'll need to go back to education, start over with graduate money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭The White Feather

I was like you, with a qualification in Engineering and was working in something different. I was trying to get back into Engineering too but like you say, companies take a look and say that I am working in a different area.The more I tried to get back into it, the worse and longer it was. I had experience in one area but a qualification in the other. So my pay was low as the company said I had no qualification. My pay would be more in Engineering but I couldn't get back in! Something similar to you.

I realised it doesn't matter that I originally wanted to work in Engineering specifically.Rather than ditching what I was doing, I decided to steer into it and did night classes to get certs in the area where I am in now. I was lucky or unlucky depending on what way you look at it because the company closed down and I used the redundancy money to do a full time course in my new area. I was offered jobs but turned them down until I finished the course as they were low money again.The course wasn't too bad as I was working in the area already and knew the basics.Made life easier. When I completed the course, the qualification added with the night classes and with my experience meant I got great offers with more money.

I would say stay where you are and do classes at night or weekend if money is tight. If you can afford it, take the hit and go back to education and bet on yourself. It will be hard but if you put the work in for a year or however long it will be worth it. It depends on your circumstances. As you have experience in Spreadsheets, maybe get every qualification you can in them and your money will go up.I have found companies prefer the experience but throw in a few certs or courses with its area and you will be in a way better position like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

How many of the jobs you would have liked have you applied for? How many of these jobs can you do now? Can you step down a little and go for less senior engineering roles to get experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Make It Real

I think you are dead right to consider your options at this point, Working1829.

To say it straight, you sound like a one-trick pony in your current role. The guy / gal who can keep all this hacky sh*t running and is worth paying good money to keep.

I work with a lot of people on work / career stuff and it isn't uncommon that they arrive stunned after the cushy number suddenly implodes, for whatever reason. You then have this regret of hindsight: "Why didn't I do something to prepare for this while I had the chance?"

Its good you are aware of this and thinking about it, both in terms of your future employability, but the need to be working in something you enjoy.

Question: You mention a field you'd like to work in, but are you clear on that and what the role is?

To me, getting that - the "what" - really clear, knowing why it is the right choice and what it would give you, is the most important step. Figuring out the "how" follows and is usually much more a housekeeping / planning task.

>I guess I am not good enough, I suppose I don't disagree.

I think you're probably talking in the context of the roles you would have liked, but keep an ear on your attitude and words here. If you repeat stuff like this, there is a risk it will stick internally and you'll start believing it. I'd say it's much more likely your company wants to keep you being the one-trick pony, not take any risks on the stuff you do running less smooth, so tries to block you moving into other roles. (Which isn't good at all).

You sound to me like you have skills, experience and loads of potential here, plus age on your side, so really just need to figure out the right path for you.

Hope this is of some help!

Advertisement