Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Three prepay phones unlocked or not?

• 27-05-2020 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭

I heard that all Three prepay phones are network unlocked. Can anyone verify this? I want to buy one and use a GoMo sim in it. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 noa2020

Some phones, yes, but the majority aren’t

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Bought a PAYG Samsung A40 from Three recently. The phone I received is dual-SIM and locked to Three but, as long as there is a Three SIM in it, the second SIM slot will work with any network.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭septicsac

Similar question re three prepay phones.
    I need a dual sim phone, if I buy a prepay phone from Three then thats me done, no contract? no future charges? I just pay handpeice fee and then do as I wish?
    I can keep the three sim in place and use my main sim in the phone as well?
    I cant get the mobile in question form anyone else, but they have it in stock, but I am on gomo and dont want any contract etc with three.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

septicsac wrote: »
    Similar question re three prepay phones.
    I need a dual sim phone, if I buy a prepay phone from Three then thats me done, no contract? no future charges? I just pay handpeice fee and then do as I wish?
    I can keep the three sim in place and use my main sim in the phone as well?
    I cant get the mobile in question form anyone else, but they have it in stock, but I am on gomo and dont want any contract etc with three.
    Yeah, that's correct. But it's likely that the only dual-SIM phones available from the Irish networks are models that don't have single-SIM variants available in this market.

And the networks don't advertise that any specific model they sell is dual-SIM so you can't be sure the phone you buy will be unless you know that it's only available as a dual-SIM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Can get a Samsung A32 for €209 which seems like a good deal.

My work sim is a 3 bill pay one, anyone know if this sim will work in this pre pay phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I came here to ask the exact same question for the exact same phone, does anyone here know if the Redmi Note 10 is unlocked from Three? Or would the sales assistant tell you that in the shop or is it classified information?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Anjunadeep

I ended up buying a Xiaomi Redmi 9T from Vodafone and it was unlocked. I wonder do all Xiaomi phones come unlocked..

I just tried to buy that exact same phone tonight using a throw away 48 sim and Vodafone seems to have refused the transaction, probably because they identified it as a throw away sim (others have reported this while other managed to get the transaction through, seems its pot luck)

Would buy the Xiaomi 10 from Three for 159 if I knew it was unlocked as I intend using it with a 48 sim. Will just have to go into a shop and ask as there is no way to find out by buying through from the website. Maybe I could and just return it if it is locked but thats a lot of hassle and I need a new phone relatevely quick and my own is about to give up the ghost with a cracked screen and a battery that will barely charge. It was grand a month ago but suddenly its just throwing the towel in !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭beachhead

If you want the Xiaomi phone from Vodafone you should try going into a Vodafone shop that is a franchiser-they are more inclined to a deal similar to the online offer.More inclined than the actual Vodafone run shops.Knowing how 3 operate you'd have to choose a phone very carefully from them and hope it's unlocked

• Advertisement

cheers thanks. Is there any way to tell which are Vodafone franchises? I tried click and collect for Kildare and the Vodafone in Newbridge showed up but the one in Naas didnt, would that indicate Naas is likely a franchise? Otherwise are any in the city centre franchises?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭beachhead

I went into my local Vodafone who told me to try a franchiser and told me the nearest,who obliged.Once upon a time their brochures(all operators )used to show a franchise list seperate to their own shops.Don't know about difference between Kildare and Naas.There is a franchise store in the Nutgrove Shopping Centre in Rathfarnham,Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Sasha_Dub

Hi,

has anyone bought a Samsung phone from three. Are they unlocked? Heard xiomi are but they are out of stock for couple of days now. could someone confirm ASAP please?

many thanks

Advertisement