Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screwfix Gone Bust??

Options
  • 27-05-2020 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Is anyone else having problems oredering gear from Screwfix lately?

Only option I get is Click & Collect and I struggle to find any products that are available.

Heard one story that they are tied into Debenham's and we know whats happening there.

Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

Be a real shame if they are gone I thought they were very good to deal with and had a good product range.

Anyone have any alternative suppliers aside from the Co-Op, B&Q and Woodies?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Screwfix are owned by the same firm as B&Q and have nothing to do with Debenhams.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭stickman1019

L1011 wrote: »
    Screwfix are owned by the same firm as B&Q and have nothing to do with Debenhams.

Cheers for that have you tried to order anything yourself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

They restricted their range to ROI and focused on the UK during Covid 19, So id imagine the category manager hasn't been updating the ROI catalog due the sales increasing in the UK.

oLoonatic wrote: »
    They restricted their range to ROI and focused on the UK during Covid 19, So id imagine the category manager hasn't been updating the ROI catalog due the sales increasing in the UK.

Seems logical allrite. I'd imagine big demand here where are people going as alternatives?

I've been getting some very good deals on amazon at the moment. Builders merchants are open too for larger items.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭AuldDaysul

Toolfix.ie in dundalk, next day delivery, massive stock, Irish based!

oLoonatic wrote:
    I've been getting some very good deals on amazon at the moment. Builders merchants are open too for larger items.

I have been looking at Amazon myself recently.

They seem to have a better range available to the UK same with a lot of suppliers I suppose.

Have you any experience of using Virtual Addresses ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You had some issues ordering specific Stock during a global pandemic from Screwfix and you construed that as they are going into administration.

Really ?

I have been looking at Amazon myself recently.

They seem to have a better range available to the UK same with a lot of suppliers I suppose.

Have you any experience of using Virtual Addresses ?

Yeah i use parcel motel and find it brilliant. just make sure you know the dimensions as you run in to trouble ordering oversized items.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭coughdrops

The An Post address pal works well, and reasonably priced, you can collect from your local post office. Not sure about size limits though.

In the last couple of months, I think Screwfix were only delivering to addresses within a fixed radius from the stores, and they only take so many orders per day until they hit their capacity. This might have changed in the last couple of weeks.

I was trying to order something small, but each time I went on to the site I was told to try again tomorrow (then I'd forget, until it was too late in the day again)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Covid19 restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

oLoonatic wrote: »
    Yeah i use parcel motel and find it brilliant. just make sure you know the dimensions as you run in to trouble ordering oversized items.

That's why I use parcel wizard.
    Had a role of scaffold net delivered last week 50*3 meters.it was 1 meter wide when delivered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

listermint wrote: »
    You had some issues ordering specific Stock during a global pandemic from Screwfix and you construed that as they are going into administration.

Really ?

That's your best rhetorical question yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Their store in Derry going well, just Click & collect only, you have to stand outside to pick your stuff up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Well, this all worked out well for me :)

I've been gazing at the ScrewFix site like a rabbit in the headlights, waiting for them to 'reopen' so I could Finally buy my mitre saw stand.

Read this and had a crafty look at Amazon. Bought my stand! :D What amazed me is that the shipping is only sick squid. Must be pretty much the same across the board then? Because, I'd get charged the same for a back scratcher.

Stigura wrote: »

I've been gazing at the ScrewFix site like a rabbit in the headlights, waiting for them to 'reopen' so I could Finally buy my mitre saw stand.

Read this and had a crafty look at Amazon. Bought my stand! :D What amazed me is that the shipping is only sick squid. Must be pretty much the same across the board then? Because, I'd get charged the same for a back scratcher.

It's just the import chargers that out me off Amazon seem to be quite substantial and make it not worth while

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

It's just the import chargers that out me off Amazon seem to be quite substantial and make it not worth while
    ...amazon.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Stigura wrote: »

They had the same ones in Lidl again this week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Stickman; Whilst I must agree that Amazon.uk can be an awful lottery ~ lots of stuff no one will send over (So, now we use the delivery address from an post).

Then, ye will indeed want to buy a tea mug ~ fiver. Only to find some jerk off's trying to charge ye a score for postage?! (Hence I never hit the 'Buy With One Click' button)

But, no, I was amazed and delighted! I guess it's when it's sold directly from Amazons warehouses, ye get the flat rate postage?

Colm; I've no idea where there's a Lidl around here :confused: Certainly not in the two street town I go to. I just have to make do with what I can access.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I've ordered off screwfix 5 times since the meltdown, all without any hassle including one free delivery from Swords for €20 worth of goods :D.
    Was in Homebase yesterday and they were way more expensive for a lot of their stuff but the place was mobbed with punters who obviously don't care about their prices.
    Woodies queue was about 40 deep so didn't venture in.

Think the title needs to be changed as it's very misleading at best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Hi Guys,

Only option I get is Click & Collect and I struggle to find any products that are available.

Thought there was something wrong with my setup. Everything I tried to order was out of stock. Even tried stuff I didn't want & same story.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

TigerTim wrote: »
    Thought there was something wrong with my setup. Everything I tried to order was out of stock. Even tried stuff I didn't want & same story.

T.

Did you try in other branches?
    I ended up ordering stuff from Ennis as they didn't have one specific thing in any other store so ordered everything else I needed from there, total bill was €52 so
    free delivery.
    Don't know why they don't give you the option of getting it sent up to the local branch and you collecting it from there instead?

Advertisement