Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cast Iron Skillet where to buy?

Options
  • 27-05-2020 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I need to buy a cast iron skillet but I am not to sure where I would pick one up?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I got mine in TK maxx. They are on amazon too. remember the sizing listed is the upper diameter, not the actual pan size.

I got it for smash burgers but now use a flat based carbon steel wok for them (no coating). The cast iron takes a good while to heat up and is very heavy.

Aldi get them in them in the odd time but they were too small for me.

Also be careful that it is what you are looking for, what do you plan to do with it? I got a large one to be able to do pizza, I also used it as a pizza stone by turning it upside down.

Some will be listed as cast iron but have enamel coatings.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

Got mine from Amazon, but I wouldn't buy any, prefer Lodge. Some of the others are not real cast iron, just coated, that eventually will go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

rubadub wrote: »
    I got mine in TK maxx. They are on amazon too. remember the sizing listed is the upper diameter, not the actual pan size.

I got it for smash burgers but now use a flat based carbon steel wok for them (no coating). The cast iron takes a good while to heat up and is very heavy.

Aldi get them in them in the odd time but they were too small for me.

Also be careful that it is what you are looking for, what do you plan to do with it? I got a large one to be able to do pizza, I also used it as a pizza stone by turning it upside down.

Some will be listed as cast iron but have enamel coatings.

Hi, TK maxx seems to be way out of my 5km unfortunately :( I was thinking Amazon but how heavy these are would the postage not be mad expensive? I had a cast iron pan in an old house I had moved out of and left it behind me they do take a tad be longer to heat up but once they do they keep the heat and get much hotter than a standard pan which I like, I think the one that I was using was purchased in Aldi and it was great I had burned the pan by mistake a few times recoated it and was like new again.

I want it to replace the teflon pans I would cook pretty much anything in it that you can fry, the teflon pans seem to be good for about 3 to 6 months then the teflon starts to flake away, I had made scrambled eggs recently and ended up with teflon stuck all over my eggs :D

Wizard! wrote: »
    Got mine from Amazon, but I wouldn't buy any, prefer Lodge. Some of the others are not real cast iron, just coated, that eventually will go away.

I am going to have a look on Amazon so. :)

• Advertisement

They would be good for hosting I suppose the small ones to keep food warm.

Ok so actually not too pricy for shipping 26e for this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lodge-30-48-Pre-Seasoned-Skillet-Frying/dp/B00006JSUB

stevek93 wrote: »
    Ok so actually not too pricy for shipping 26e for this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lodge-30-48-Pre-Seasoned-Skillet-Frying/dp/B00006JSUB

buy from amazon and shipping is free if over £25

that is a 3rd party seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

I have a press full of Cast iron here that everyone else refuses to use because (1) its different to use, (2) its too heavy (3) I cant put it in the dishwasher.

Don't know what they're missing TBH

buy from amazon and shipping is free if over £25

that is a 3rd party seller.

I can't see that size being sold be Amazon.

• Advertisement

If I had to replace mine I would get this
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07V5HTR2N/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2PQ31EAG2KKDB&th=1

£30 and free delivery. It is definitely a legit cast iron pan (in case the earlier poster worried you)

OU812 wrote: »
    I have a press full of Cast iron here that everyone else refuses to use because (1) its different to use, (2) its too heavy (3) I cant put it in the dishwasher.

Don't know what they're missing TBH

I have lecreuset pots when you have them filled with spuds and water unless you are strong you aren't lifting it, my poor grandmother for example wouldn't be able to lift it.

If I had to replace mine I would get this
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07V5HTR2N/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2PQ31EAG2KKDB&th=1

£30 and free delivery. It is definitely a legit cast iron pan (in case the earlier poster worried you)

Oh fantastic thank you thats a great price and free delivery I will order that now. :)

I see ikea also have them now, its a bit smaller though

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/vardagen-frying-pan-cast-iron-10437303/

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Tom1991

i ordered a basic one from nisbets and a cast iron flat top just to get used to em was cheap enough and to get used to practice seasoning them for little money before investing in a decent brand one like lodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tom1991 wrote: »
    before investing in a decent brand one like lodge.

I wouldn't bother investing in an expensive one.
    I have a set of 3 that my mother bought in Dunnes for £5 about 25 years ago.
    They are still perfect.
    I don't think there's any real difference between the cheap ones and the expensive ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I don't think there's any real difference between the cheap ones and the expensive ones.
    Me neither. Cast iron is cast iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Stick to Lodge. Got two last year and have retired the Le Crueset.......no comparison.

I took a Black and Decker with steel wire wheel and spent about half an hour on each to grind them in.....Look it up on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 whiskey_sour

I also got one from Nisbets about a year or two ago and love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone bought Lodge pans from Amazon in the US using Address Pal? They seem to be around half the price over there than buying from Amazon.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone bought Lodge pans from Amazon in the US using Address Pal? They seem to be around half the price over there than buying from Amazon.co.uk

Would cost a fortune to ship.

I was in the US last year and found a load of lodge in Marshall’s. Got an 8, 10 & 12 for $25 + taxes. Got some pool noodle to wrap the handles & rims and packed them in luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think Address Pal is around 16 quid for shipping from the US so not totally outrageous. If it got stopped for VAT though that would take the shine off it.

edit- its 16 quid up to 2kg, 21 euro to ship 2-5kg, 30 euro for 5-10kg

stevek93 wrote: »
    Oh fantastic thank you thats a great price and free delivery I will order that now. :)

Got an email from Amazon to say the courier returned my parcel I was looking forward to my pan now I am panless :(

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

this one is good too (its pre seasoned):

https://www.vonshef.com/vs_en/seasoned-cast-iron-skillet-pan?awc=16242_1592832028_f4608b2d52ba19ce9ab8d4b9707522dd&utm_source=Affiliate&utm_medium=78888&utm_campaign=Affiliate_Window

This brand is sometimes available on Amazon as well
    If not buying a pre seasoned one - make sure you watch a few videos/look up on how to season it, that's the key - they will last for ever

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

a good (and a lil lighter) alternateive to the cast iron is carbon Steel (mostly French), needs seasoning like cast iron though

De Buyer Mineral B (and Pro)

Matfer

Advertisement