Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Water Heat Pump vs. Solar PV Query

Options
  • 27-05-2020 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Apologies in advance if this has been covered previously, I had a scan through the threads but couldn't see anything that related.

I'm in the process of purchasing a property. The property is a 2,000 sq ft. detached home that was built in 2006. The current BER rating of the property is B3.

We're planning on doing some upgrades to the property before we move in and top of the list was Solar PV with battery and a diverter to heat the hot water tank.

However now we're confused, we spoke with a local plumber who advised us to steer clear of solar and to install a Heat Pump Water Heater. He mentioned that we'd have endless supply of hot water from the heat pump and that it would cost ~€16 per week to heat 1,000L of water. The Heat Pump water heater which he mentioned was https://www.atlantic-comfort.com/Our-products/Water-heating/Heat-pump-water-heaters/Explorer

I'm hoping that you might be able to give me advice. Is a heat pump water heater worth it? What's the installation costs of this type of heat pump?

I'm waiting for Electric Ireland to perform a Solar PV survey on the property but it's my understanding that Solar PV (with battery) will cost in excess of €10,000.

Does anyone have clear Return of Investment (ROI) figures and if you'd recommend a different approach your feedback would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,
    Anto318

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Is this thing he is recommending only going to heat hot water and nothing else?
    How much is it?
    How does the house heat hot water right now?

SolarPV isnt the best at heating water from an efficiency perspective but SolarPV is alot more versatile and will help reduce your overall electricity bill not just hot water. And it doesnt really matter that PV is inefficient at heating water, since its free energy!

Also note that you dont need to utilise a battery if you buy a SolarPV system. In my opinion batteries are a waste of money at todays prices. You can just get the panels on their own and maximise your consumption. You should be able to get a decent sized system for <€5k after grant. The ROI will very much depend on you but it will be of the order of 10yrs (if you go the no battery route).

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Anto318

KCross wrote: »
    Is this thing he is recommending only going to heat hot water and nothing else?
    How much is it?
    How does the house heat hot water right now?

Correct the heat pump hot water tank is just to heat hot water and nothing else. I haven't received a quote yet as he's calling back to the house to see what size tank can fit.

The house currently heats hot water from a gas boiler or through the immersion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Anto318 wrote: »
    I haven't received a quote yet as he's calling back to the house to see what size tank can fit.

You cant really decide much until he gives you the quote. I'd be guessing 1000s though.

I doubt you'd get value for money relative to heating water at night with night rate electricity and by day with excess SolarPV.

Lets see what quote he gives you first.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Anto318

KCross wrote: »

Lets see what quote he gives you first.

Thanks for the advise, yep let's see what he comes back with.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

Did you get your quotes OP?

• Advertisement
Advertisement