Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

older men

Options
  • 26-05-2020 2:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Why are men almost always older in relationships? How does this happen? Excuse me as I'm not well versed in the art of dating but this is something that puzzles me.

It's known that women tend to prefer older men but how do most relationships end up like that? Age isn't visible. With height, a woman when picking someone to date can instantly see that a man is shorter than her and refuse him, same with facial appearance and hygiene. All obvious on a person.

But you have to get to know someone a while before knowing their age so do women go in with great hopes for a good looking guy then turn him down after the third date when she learns that he's 17 and she's 21.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

it is two fold.
    Women like older men because they are more mature than men their own age. Men their own age often don't want to settle down until they are a good 5 years older or so. So the older man can give the woman what she wants.

men are perverts and like younger women. Basically.

The thing is this is not really a conscious choice men or women make. To a certain extent it is hard wired into people's heads through millenia of natural selection.

Read up on the evolutionary biology of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Men age like a fine wine. Women age like a Tesco cooked chicken.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Agricola wrote: »
    Men age like a fine wine. Women age like a Tesco cooked chicken.

That's actually not true in my experience. I must say that I'm a 20yr old guy but are stunned by how attractive white Irish women are in their 30s, 40s, and 50s. Do they get on average less good looking, yes but there was a woman who I flirted with at the bus stop near me that I see all the time. She's greying which would suggest she's 40s/50s but boy...I'd **** her in a heartbeat. Hottest woman of that age.

I've actually heard from a sociologist that men evolved to cast a wider net when it came to sexual attraction compared to women. For example men we think of as "pedophiles" (which is used incorrectly as it refers to pre-pubescent children not children between 13-17 which is ephebophilia) and ephebophiles don't have an exclusionary attraction to women that age. They are also aroused and would willingly have sex with women their age and even up to their sixties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Agricola wrote: »
    Men age like a fine wine.

Maybe in some parts of the world.

In Ireland, it usually involves a receding hairline and an expanding waistline.

KiKi III wrote: »

Weren't Irish men voted one of the ugliest and Irish women the sexiest?

https://www.irishcentral.com/culture/craic/irish-men-voted-ugliest-world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,488 ✭✭✭✭banie01

As a man approaching my middle age, your not wrong ;)

Many of my peers are in that particular boat, I look at them while running my fingers through my luxurious, albeit starting to salt hair...

And think we'll at least I've won this level of the game of life! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Weren't Irish men voted one of the ugliest and Irish women the sexiest?

https://www.irishcentral.com/culture/craic/irish-men-voted-ugliest-world

And you believe a website like that, cmon ffs

And as for the expanding waistline with men, women know all about that in Ireland too, alot more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Side effect of the greasy fry up,you can't bate a good half pound of Mallons and a half dozen rashers before the off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

And you believe a website like that, cmon ffs

And as for the expanding waistline with men, women know all about that in Ireland too, alot more

And the oul bingo wings too!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

I've dated men older, younger and the same age. My hubby is younger.
    I look at the person, not the age. Looks themselves aren't really that important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,236 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

yet another thread about dating/sex/women/men ….

Jaysus man , just stop will yaa.
    You must have 300 threads to your name by now...

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

chops018 wrote: »
    Deleted post.

But no one has answered the question, did you pick her for her age or did it just happen that you were 5 years older?

I understand dating sites, age is visible but in real life, surely the first thing you'd say to someone wouldn't be "are you old enough to support me/young enough to be fertile".

Would you start dating a girl and ditch them if they turned out to be older than you?

greenspurs wrote: »
    yet another thread about dating/sex/women/men ….

Jaysus man , just stop will yaa.
    You must have 300 threads to your name by now...

I agree. It is tiresome.

Tbh, the OPs whole thread pattern smells of incel, or MGTOW at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Sarcozies

Generally, women want resources and status from a man. She is going to birth his children, she wants security. Men generally want fertile women, to give the best possibility for birth for said children.

Women are most fertile in their late teens to mid 20s. Men accomplish wealth and status, if they ever do, in their later years generally.

But no one has answered the question, did you pick her for her age or did it just happen that you were 5 years older?

I understand dating sites, age is visible but in real life, surely the first thing you'd say to someone wouldn't be "are you old enough to support me/young enough to be fertile".

Would you start dating a girl and ditch them if they turned out to be older than you?

Why was that post edited by a mod ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

42w5x9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Sigh.

Sometimes it just goes that way Feg. A lot of the time it just so happens that there is an age gap. Also, as mentioned already, most women tend to become more mature than men their own age, so naturally enough an older guy by a few years would seem to be more identifiable and relatable.

Loads of people I know in relationships/married though are close enough to similar age, my parents being one of them.

Different case going back 40/50 years ago where in many instances the man was considerably older, often by two decades, than the woman.

Also, gold diggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Homelander

Eh, receding hairlines is hardly a unique Irish phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

...there was a woman who I flirted with at the bus stop near me that I see all the time. She's greying which would suggest she's 40s/50s but boy...I'd **** her in a heartbeat.

Jesus... you just sound creepy...
    Especially since you said you "approached" another woman at a bus stop in what is essential a captive environment they would rather not leave.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113450902&postcount=1

I think we need to track you like they did with the "Don't f*uk with cats" documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,299 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

cat-damn-it-hurts-right-here-in-my-meow-meow.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I was walking along a sunny outdoor swimming pool one time. My good friend Tony said to me "First you get the money, then you get the power, then you get the women". He went on to become a very successful business man, ended up with a very attractive woman and lived happily ever after.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Possibly unusual take: As a 30 year old lad who's nowhere near ready to settle down and commit to raising a family or anything like that, I find myself often drawn to middle aged women with grown up kids, as they actually tend to be very laid back about that since they've already achieved that life goal and therefore more up for living carefree. Of course, that's probably a very unbalanced sample since I tend to chat women up specifically in nightclubs, so you're hardly likely to be out on the tiles until four or five in the morning if you're that age and your kids are still at a dependent age where they need you to be home at a reasonable and living responsibly :D So I guess if you're hooking up with women who are a decade or two older than yourself but are nonetheless dancing the night away and knocking back the G&T into the dawn hours, your experience with them may not be representative of the entire demographic :D:D

Depends what you want in life, I guess. Someone who's psychologically younger than they really are can massively hit it off with someone a lot older, given that any mismatch in life goals might be offset by the older person having already achieved those goals for themselves. If you're a young lad with an "I'm years and years away from even considering whether I want to do the whole starting a family thing", a fling with a woman who's already done all that and is therefore under no pressure at all for time can be as much fun as the relationships you have in your early twenties when nobody's thinking about any of that stuff yet and you get to just live in the moment. Once you get to your mid-thirties and you're dating in the same age bracket (going by people I know anyway), the questions of "where is this going" become more and more pressing because women have a time limit for starting a family; therefore if you're not ready for that yet, someone who's already raised a family can be in a head-space that's every bit as "living in the moment carefree" as your own. Similarly, if you're a young woman who's decided that she just doesn't want to do the raising a family thing in her life, an older lad who's already done it is less likely to care that you won't want to do that with him.

In that context, an age difference can take the pressure off hugely, regardless of gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Fine wines come in fiasco's too you know...;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

I know a woman who left her husband and started dating a man in late 20s when she was around 40. This was 10 years ago, she is over 50 now and he is late 30s, he is only 7 years older than her oldest son. They had a baby together too. I remember I used to play indoor soccer with the sons and their mothers toy boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I tend to feel more secure when the guy is older. Like i don't have to look after him. I know maturity doesn't have anything to do with age. And i have seem couples where the guy is younger and he is practically the perfect partner looking after her.

But i can't shake the feeling.

Also i think younger guys would not be looking for the level of seriousness i would.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I know a woman who left her husband and started dating a man in late 20s when she was around 40. This was 10 years ago, she is over 50 now and he is late 30s, he is only 7 years older than her oldest son. They had a baby together too. I remember I used to play indoor soccer with the sons and their mothers toy boy.
    Fair play.

Jesus... you just sound creepy...
    Especially since you said you "approached" another woman at a bus stop in what is essential a captive environment they would rather not leave.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113450902&postcount=1

I think we need to track you like they did with the "Don't f*uk with cats" documentary.

and the msging strangers - Nasty emails to doctors and nurses in hospital... the constant referral to his use of benzos/weed/nutmeg/hydrocodone ….

Walter Mitty ?

greenspurs wrote: »
    Why was that post edited by a mod ??

Why was Feg's post edited by a mod ??:confused:

I agree. It is tiresome.

Tbh, the OPs whole thread pattern smells of incel, or MGTOW at best.

Modus Operandi -
    Start thread about sex/sexual/drug/dating/relationship ….

Comment once, maybe twice...

Then move on and repeat … again and again …..

Tiresome is a good word for it.

• Advertisement

stupid incel bastard should be sitebanned.

Advertisement