Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wage Subsidy Question

Options
  • 26-05-2020 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Just a quick question on wage subsidy scheme.

Normal salary per fortnight is 1500 before any taxes are taken.
    Normal take home pay is 1158

Wage subsidy for 2 weeks = 700
    Company top up for 2 weeks = 498
    Salary before taxes = 1198
    Take home pay is 1158 (same as normal)

Is this correct?
    I'm not arguing it or anything as the take home pay is correct, i just wasn't sure on the before tax figures!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

the subsify is non taxable so you'll only be taxed on the 498

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Wuff Wuff wrote: »

Just to add to this, it's not being taxed through payroll, but it is liable to tax and anyone who received it will have a liability at the end of the year, which will most likely be collected by a reduction in credits and cut off points over the next year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

Wuff Wuff wrote: »

Correct, yes, i am only taxed on the 498euro

Just to add to this, it's not being taxed through payroll, but it is liable to tax and anyone who received it will have a liability at the end of the year, which will most likely be collected by a reduction in credits and cut off points over the next year or two.

See, that's the bit i don't understand!
    When my take home pay is the same as before, am i then not losing out somewhat on tax?

On the first pay run, yes, i did get some tax back, not a huge amount but a bit which i have put away.....but i doubt that would cover the tax on the 350 a week over however many weeks - and would it be taxed at 20% or 40%?!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭donkey10

Just got my own first weekly payslip myself today and its the first week of being on the TWSS. The net pay was the same as my previous net before all the COvid started. The subsidy im entitled to is 350 and top up of 200. I didnt get any tax back despite not being working the past 7 weeks but i think that is now due to being on a week 1 basis rather than cumulative.

Where the 350 is taxed at the end of the year realistically my net pay is really lower if i am putting some money aside to pay the tax. Therefore in reality im worse off now overall in terms of wages. Just trying to get my head around this!

• Advertisement

donkey10 wrote: »
    Just got my own first weekly payslip myself today and its the first week of being on the TWSS. The net pay was the same as my previous net before all the COvid started. The subsidy im entitled to is 350 and top up of 200. I didnt get any tax back despite not being working the past 7 weeks but i think that is now due to being on a week 1 basis rather than cumulative.

Where the 350 is taxed at the end of the year realistically my net pay is really lower if i am putting some money aside to pay the tax. Therefore in reality im worse off now overall in terms of wages. Just trying to get my head around this!

Doesn't make sense, does it!
    And we won't know either until the end of the year either!
    It's when people say keep 30% of the 350 back for taxes that worries me....if the company does it for 10 weeks say, that's over 1k in tax that may be due but we still come out with the same wage!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭donkey10

Doesn't make sense, does it!
    And we won't know either until the end of the year either!
    It's when people say keep 30% of the 350 back for taxes that worries me....if the company does it for 10 weeks say, that's over 1k in tax that may be due but we still come out with the same wage!

But we wont come out with the same wage?? Fair enough our net pay now is the same but once the subsidy is taxed at end of year we will have a lower net wage again. Is that correct? So confusing

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Turkish1

donkey10 wrote: »
    But we wont come out with the same wage?? Fair enough our net pay now is the same but once the subsidy is taxed at end of year we will have a lower net wage again. Is that correct? So confusing

Yes that is correct. You will effectively be worse off that previously - however it is likely increasing the chances of your company being able to retain you as opposed to being made redundant.

It is a difficult situation to be in, but you will pay PAYE and USC (no PAYE) on the subsidy amount when you annual tax is calculated. Likely they will do this by reducing your tax credits next year so you will see slightly lower net pay next year (all things being equal)

Advertisement