Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change in Career Backfired

Options
  • 25-05-2020 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Everyone says you should challenge yourself, don't settle for life in the comfort zone etc. Well that's what I did and I wish I didn't. Two years ago I had a comfortable reasonably paid job in the civil service. I had my own office and very little stress. It was a job which was ultimately never going to develop much though and I made the decision to leave it in 2018 to persue a career in the Guards, something I always wanted to do.

For a host of reasons, this career move didn't work out as planned and I ended up resigning from the Gardai last August. Since then I have been working as a temp Clerical Officer, been unemployed for a few months and at the moment I'm stuck in a temp factory production line job that I hate but that pays well. I'd give anything to go back to my little office job but I can't.

I'm afraid now that I will be stuck floating between jobs, doing something I hate for the rest of my life. Most of all, I feel completely stupid and worthless for leaving a good steady job to 'follow my dream' like some immature teenager only to end up with nothing Has anyone else on here made a similar career move that backfired? How did you get through it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,923 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You’d have regretted it more if you didn’t try it. You followed your dream, joined the Guards and it didn’t work out but you tried...

I didn’t make a similar move but I regret not having done so. I’d always wanted to be a pilot but to achieve your private pilots license and so on was tens of thousands of pounds. A friend of mines family remortgaged the house and towards the end of his training he developed a medical condition that while was non life threatening took away his dream, and a load of non refundable cash...

Don’t know why but it put me off going the same road..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭bilbot79

You make it sound like the start, middle and end of the story but in fact this is only the middle.

What if I told you that this was a necessary part of getting to know what you really want cos you know....

Deep down you didn't want the office job. Don't be fooled just because it's better than your present situation. Hold your nerve, you're halfway there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

OP, I'm on a career break from the Civil Service and I spent a lot of time looking at colleagues who it sounds are just like you were. Depending on the department and section, it's very easy to fall into a rut where nothing is ever likely to change to keep the job interesting or challenging, that can be the nature of working in some places, many private sector jobs are the same.

You'll find your path, it will be worth it in the end. Keep plugging away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭emo72

"challenge yourself, don't settle for life in the comfort zone etc."

That sounds like clichés that belongs on motivational posters, and not really based in science or fact. If you ask me the comfort zone sounds like the ideal place to be.

emo72 wrote: »
    "challenge yourself, don't settle for life in the comfort zone etc."

That sounds like clichés that belongs on motivational posters, and not really based in science or fact. If you ask me the comfort zone sounds like the ideal place to be.

Yes exactly for me a job is all about being comfortable with what you are doing, so what if it's a bit boring if you want excitement then take up a hobby in your spare time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Yes exactly for me a job is all about being comfortable with what you are doing, so what if it's a bit boring if you want excitement then take up a hobby in your spare time.

Sounds fun. Others may not be content to be comfortable with boredom, depends on personality I suppose.

Have to agree with Bilbot, if you were bored and wanted something new, had you not ventured out of your comfort zone you could have ended up settling for a comfortable job that bored you to death, and regretted it every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I have the opposite experience in that I was a Clerical Officer in the Civil Service and hated it with a passion. There were multiple reasons for this but it ultimately led to me leaving to re-skill and I love my career now. Nothing to do with comfort zone or 'realising my potential' it was more just doing something I enjoyed, something that I didn't mind getting out of the bed to do each day.

So the Gardai didn't work out for you OP. That's unfortunate but don't see it as a set back see it as progression. It's still experience you can draw on. Try to identify the reasons you didn't like the CO and Garda roles and what you did like about them. It can help narrow the scope for the next step. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭G-Man

But these problems happen a lot. I've had a few, some self imposed and some involuntary (redundancy) After all, you can wonder what you did wrong....and unfortunately some self doubt about next step.

Hope you can learn from it, dont dwell. Get busy trying the next thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Yes OP don't be too hard on yourself - for some people boredom and not being challenged can make you miserable. The days of doing the same job for 40 years are gone for a lot of people - think about what you learnt from the gardai experience - even if it was only that it was not for you - why wasn't it for you? What can that tell you about what you want in a job? You learn more from "mistakes" or so-called failures. Use those lessons to help guide your next steps and move into something that might fulfil you more.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Good for you for trying something new. It’s a bit of an Irish thing to feel shame for trying something new that doesn’t work out. But then truth is it shows courage and determination.

I’d say get some professional advice on career development and options.

Good luck and chin up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Rod82

Could I ask, without going into too much detail, why you decided to resign? Not the job you thought it would be or something else? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Op, if you joined the Guards in 2018, the oldest you could possibly be, by my reckoning, is 37. You've just hit a bump in the road, sure - plenty of time to get a different job, go to night classes, move to a different country and start over - anything you like, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bocaman

I'm sorry to hear your dream move didn't work out. But at the very least you had the courage to move beyond the comfort zone. Believe me there are plenty of people who are too frightened to follow your path. It will come right in the end. The world is there for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Yeah fair play to you OP! Try again as since you've nothing to lose ;-)
    Use the opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I support a graduate program at work and we've had people come into our industry (software development) at all stages of life. I'd be lying if I wasn't always a little impressed by the ones who have the courage to change careers later in the game as I know it's seen to be "against the norm".

OP you now have a good idea of what you like and don't like in a job, you could make it back into a happier set of circumstances yet! No doubt you'll take the leap that others wouldn't in order to find the perfect job for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Sometimes you have to take two steps back to take three steps forward.

You won't find what you are looking for unless you go looking for it either.

Fair play, keep the chin up and give it more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The OP sounds very dramatic its always either all or nothing?, if it is that they may never be contented with anything.

Its only a couple of months yet they are talking as if the rest of there life is ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

OP is cliche on the millennial 'not making an impact' instant gratification society.

I know OP didn't use the word but lets for a second focus on Regret.

Regret is best used for the things we didnt do. I regret not doing X, Y or Z. Those things you did do form a part of who you are and our failures are our best learning experiences.

If the OP hadn't Joined the guards he'd have regretted it forever. Thats not a regret, he tried he failed, he learned but hes stuck in funk because of a single, relatively insignificant setback.

Things he currently regret's:
    Not having a backup plan
    Not upskilling to better himself
    Not chasing a better job

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I took a year out several years ago to pursue my dream of being a sound engineer and music producer. I did it for a year and then realised I needed a proper job (I had good money coming in, just wasn't stable). Took me a while to get back to where I was. Did I regret it? Not at all.

I'd rather do something and fail, then look back in 20 years time wishing I did it. You've only one life OP. You'll never know if something is going to work out until you try it.

Advertisement