Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ancestry v MyHeritage DNA test

Options
  • 25-05-2020 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I had my DNA testsd by Ancestry and uploaded the data to MyHeritage. My shared DNA with one individual is 50cM in 5 segments according to Ancestry and 104cM in 7 segments with MyHeritage. With a second individual the estimate is 35cM by Ancestry in 3 segments and 65cM in 4 segments with MyHeritage. Can anyone explain the inconsistency. I have email Ancestry but had no reply

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Different companies use different chipsets which produce slightly different results - but that does seem big.

First question & you'll have to ask the other person: did they do 2 different tests or did they test on Ancestry and upload to MyH like you did?

Are you both on Gedmatch? Check what the results are there.

I just compared a cousin whose kit I manage on Ancestry, where we've both tested: 231cM across 17 segments.
    On Gedmatch it's the same cM but apparently only 13 segments.
    On My Heritage (both uploaded) it's 258.4 across 16 segments.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

MyHeritage includes small segmnets of 1 or 2 cM in the total. Ancestry also uses Timber which can reduce the size of a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Example from my test results.

My test was with Ancestry and uploaded their test to FTDNA,Gedmatch and My Heritage.

3rd cousin done a test on Ancestry as well and it shows us as sharing 193cM across 10 DNA segments.
    He uploaded his Ancestry test to My Heritage which shows us sharing 221.6cM across 8 DNA segments.
    His Ancestry test uploaded to Gedmatch shows the match as 218.3cM across 9 segments with my uploaded test.
    He also done the FTDNA test which matches at 247cM with my uploaded test from Ancestry.

For comparison his sister matches me at 32cM over 4 segments on Ancestry,66.5cM across 4 segments on My Heritage and 105cM on FTDNA.
    As far as I am aware that test was with Ancestry only.

Advertisement