Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A split in the human race

Options
  • 25-05-2020 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭

I've a pet theory that the human race is going to splinter in to two distinct sub species. The city dwellers and the humans who live in the countryside. We've seen humans flocking to cities in their droves in recent decades, the urban rural divide has never been more stark.

I think we are already seeing the impact of this split. I'm originally from the west coast of Ireland. When I'm at home I note that the men are generally healthy looking, strong from physical labour and with a healthy hue to their complexion. They are also generally friendlier and more laid back.

I've the misfortune to live in Dublin the past almost 2 decades and the people who inhabit the cities, especially ones whose families have been in Dublin generations, have a very different composition. Shorter on average and definitely thinner, stooped backs and slouching shoulders, a distinctive grey pallor to their face, perhaps as a result of malnutrition or lack of outdoor activity. They are generally tetchy and irratable.

Are we witnessing a fork in humanity, one where the city dwellers morph in to some kind of antish dub species, sensitive to light, where cunning and guile are more important than physical strength?

I think so. I plan to relocate the family back to the Wild Atlantic before my kids are of school age. What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

Flowersun wrote: »
    Tldr

Thats some post for a first post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

How do you feel about dulchies?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Someone read H.G. Wells The Time Machine.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

How do you feel about dulchies?

What is a dulchie?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Allinall

I've the misfortune to live in Dublin the past almost 2 decades .................

I think so. I plan to relocate the family back to the Wild Atlantic before my kids are of school age. What do you think?

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭hopalongcass

I've a pet theory that the human race is going to splinter in to two distinct sub species. The city dwellers and the humans who live in the countryside. We've seen humans flocking to cities in their droves in recent decades, the urban rural divide has never been more stark.

I think we are already seeing the impact of this split. I'm originally from the west coast of Ireland. When I'm at home I note that the men are generally healthy looking, strong from physical labour and with a healthy hue to their complexion. They are also generally friendlier and more laid back.

I've the misfortune to live in Dublin the past almost 2 decades and the people who inhabit the cities, especially ones whose families have been in Dublin generations, have a very different composition. Shorter on average and definitely thinner, stooped backs and slouching shoulders, a distinctive grey pallor to their face, perhaps as a result of malnutrition or lack of outdoor activity. They are generally tetchy and irratable.

Are we witnessing a fork in humanity, one where the city dwellers morph in to some kind of antish dub species, sensitive to light, where cunning and guile are more important than physical strength?

Cites have been around for a while,if a fork is coming it will be between the glove and mask wearing folk becoming weak fragile and everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I plan to relocate the family back to the Wild Atlantic before my kids are of school age. What do you think?

This is the reason your theory will never come to pass. Your kids are Dubs. You're going to bring them to the countryside to grow up and mate with the locals. This totally negates the possibility of the two populations evolving into sub-species. In order for what you're describing to actually happen, you'd have have no interbreeding between the two populations.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

I plan to relocate the family back to the Wild Atlantic

Please dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,628 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Cites have been around for a while,if a fork is coming it will be between the glove and mask wearing folk becoming weak fragile and everyone else.

You mean the dead?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I would agree with you.

Ireland only has one proper city (Dublin) and there is a marked difference between the “Dub” and someone from the rest of the country.

Whereas the “country man” is content to spend his evenings reading an old paperback by the fire, the “Dub” is happy to gorge on takeaways and cheap cans of lager, braying loudly at episodes of Coronation Street and The X Factor. Bawling at the sad bits.

The country man is secure in himself and doesn’t need to advertise how “Irish” is. But the “Dub” suffers from an identity crisis that stems from years of their city being the heart and soul of the crown’s hold in Ireland and their embracing of British slang and habits. Singing songs at GAA matches, calling another man a “bloke,” referring to their dinner at “me tea.” Let’s be totally honest here, a maudlin caterwauling “Dub” will have more in common with an Englishman than any stout, stoic man of the country.

I don’t know if it’s something in the water or what it could be but I have never met a person from Dublin who has impressed me intellectually. Look at Yeats, Beckett and Joyce. They couldn’t wait to get away from Dublin. I feel that living in cities is not suitable for Irishman and I urge my son to get the hell out of Dublin once he has graduated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Allinall wrote: »
    Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Quite a rude comment.

I have a young family and the sight of skeletal junkies and feral kids scampering around the place fills me with dread for their future. I think a rural upbringing is much safer and wholesome.

I have a very successful business but I'm at the point where I'm happy to sell up shop and start afresh.

If there is a divide coming I want my descendants to be on the strong country human side, not end up pale-skinned scuttling round the supercities of the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you're in Dublin for the past 2 decades then you're closer to the latter than the former.

You might want to fix your posture, sort out your diet and get outdoors more instead of blaming being in Dublin for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I want to live in the country side but i want a car but like somewhere with nice weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

I'm a true blue. I don't really post on moronic threads but ill make an exception. Limerick, Cork, Westmeath, along with Galway, Sligo and many more counties have more than there fair of drug problems. I'd imagine whatever place your hoping to relocate to has drugs unless your heading to tir na nog. And I'm confused what kind of parent would want not want the children to possess brains over brawn, or do you think your kids should be morons. In regards to the dubs v the rest its bullsh¡t. There are some really fabulous country people I know as well as dubs I know except it seems in your part of the partisan west, it seems your hospitality towards your city brethren is none existent. If you return to the west with your children best of luck, because the minute they can escape from you they'll back in dublin. Maybe you could be good enough to clarify an issue for me in regards to yourself.
    When did your village give up looking for you, I mean they must have missed their idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The average Jackeen has more in common with the Cockney of East London than he does with the native Gael. There's very little distinctly Irish about the Dub.

Take this ad from the early 80's. It sums up the Jackeen extremely well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

What is a dulchie?

According to the urban dictionary:

Dulchies: Dublin people who have moved to the countryside. They are no longer Dublin people ("dubs"), and yet not "culchies" (country people), and so are Dulchies - a new breed.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Ya, the entire human race will split based on who lives in Dublin and who lives in the bog. That's how these things work all the same. Anywho, time for me to grab me tea. Maybe a few rashers while I'm at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭tintin67

I work with quite a lot of East Europeans and more than one has mentioned to me over the years that working class young Dublin males do tend to have a particularly noticeable scrawny malnourished look about them. Maybe it's an inherited thing from years of tenement living with large families and poor diets combined with multi-generational alcohol and drug abuse, but it definitely seems to be 'a thing'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Is country life that physical today? A city chap or lass who commutes on a bike and does a bit of jogging or gym work in leisure time would probably blow away somebody who sits in a tractor and pulls levers in terms of health.

I would agree with some of the OP's take. I'm a country boy who misspent years experimenting with city life around Europe/UK, some of that in dear old Dublin too and I have some fondness for it yet. I deliberately chose to seek out the freedom and space of rural life again however that might be just something to do with middle years priorities. I do despise the coldness in cities, a problem that reaches well beyond Ireland. Here in East Clare I salute all strangers on my road and the majority reciprocate. I recall one sunny afternoon in London going to retrieve my bike from communal sheds and encountering a lady walking by on the path against me with her gardening tools. I nodded and said Hello but the dirty look she shot me back and her horrified silence has exemplified city human alienation for me ever since. This wasn't the street - it was a private apartment complex on a leafy W.London road. They can't even look at each other on the Tube. Life is too short a thing to live that way.

In the French media this morning I saw a poll of Parisiennes that indicated 42% now want to leave as soon as the chance arises as the lockdown experience has turned them against city life. Probably a sizeable proportion of Paris was there against their will somewhat anyway.

Jefferson had utopian ideas in the early days of U.S. that each new person would move westwards, have their own patch of land and farm it, participate in the body politic, and do some hobby science like he did. Don't know what he'd make of today's drug-addled ghetto drive-by shootups.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Morlocks in the 1960 movie were the scariest.

But the split will not be between city and urban. Historically urban populations died of disease and so relied on fresh blood from the country.

Except the rich who didn't die, because money. Rich Italian families can trace their roots back to the Empire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Some evolutionary hotshot from Boris land already came up with this theory during the heady days of the Celtic tiger. Nothing about the culchie VS jackeen mixin though, that is just a fabrication of Paddy's mind

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6057734.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I would agree with you.

Ireland only has one proper city (Dublin) and there is a marked difference between the “Dub” and someone from the rest of the country.

Whereas the “country man” is content to spend his evenings reading an old paperback by the fire, the “Dub” is happy to gorge on takeaways and cheap cans of lager, braying loudly at episodes of Coronation Street and The X Factor. Bawling at the sad bits.

The country man is secure in himself and doesn’t need to advertise how “Irish” is. But the “Dub” suffers from an identity crisis that stems from years of their city being the heart and soul of the crown’s hold in Ireland and their embracing of British slang and habits. Singing songs at GAA matches, calling another man a “bloke,” referring to their dinner at “me tea.” Let’s be totally honest here, a maudlin caterwauling “Dub” will have more in common with an Englishman than any stout, stoic man of the country.

I don’t know if it’s something in the water or what it could be but I have never met a person from Dublin who has impressed me intellectually. Look at Yeats, Beckett and Joyce. They couldn’t wait to get away from Dublin. I feel that living in cities is not suitable for Irishman and I urge my son to get the hell out of Dublin once he has graduated.

You have some insecurity issues or else your post is a good parody of what lurks in the mind of a knob.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,391 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If two branches of human start to develop I reckon it'll be either an expensive medical treatment, designer baby type thing that divides the ultra-wealthy from the rest of us or it'll be some sort of transhumanist situation where some people are augmented by tech and others not.
    Dublin doesn't factor into it much either way.

Advertisement