Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for a router to work with VM Hub in bridge mode

Options
  • 25-05-2020 12:39pm
    Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This has probably been asked loads of times previously, so I apologise in advance for starting a new thread. I am looking for a recommendations for a decent router which can handle all or wifi needs in the house. Currently we find ourselves constantly having to switch between airplane mode on our phones and laptops to get VM wifi to work properly. When it does work its fine, but it is happening way to often these last few weeks.

Ive a 16 way switch in the attic and all the devices which are hardwired from that are always perfect, the computers in the kids bedrooms often max out the 360mb, so I know the service coming into the house is fine. Speeds on wifi are close to 360mb, but only in the same room as where the modem is, once you move to the kitchen it drops considerably and then upstairs to the bedrooms is down to about 10/15mb, which dont get me wrong, is fine for what we need it for. Its just the constant dropping is the problem.

Another problem lately is the 5G network which our phones, mac and ipads connects to, often just disappears or gives an incorrect password error when trying to connect, and then could come back all by itself a few minutes later. So i think its now time to bite the bullet and just purchase a decent router which will cater for all our wifi devices.

So Id appreciate some advice on what I should consider purchasing I am fairly computer savy and know a good bit about networking so that side of things does frighten me. My budget would be in and around €200

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I got a 2-point Google WiFI mesh router, which is a little over your budget. I've bridged my VM modem to it and am using an 8-way switch as well.

It's worked very well for me - I got a 2-point set up due to the shape and size of my house, so you'll need to work that out. Obviously, with the mesh, it means you won't drop signal as you move around the house and I've found it switches between the points quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭geo88

Did a lot of research on this recently on this topic and in the end ordered myself the following a month ago: NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S Smart Wifi Router (R7800) off Amazon. Works a treat!
    Still at the top of the list on smallnetbuilder as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

geo88 wrote: »
    Did a lot of research on this recently on this topic and in the end ordered myself the following a month ago: NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S Smart Wifi Router (R7800) off Amazon. Works a treat!
    Still at the top of the list on smallnetbuilder as well.

Hi Geo88 did you consider the R8000 at all? I was going to go for the X4 R7800 but pc world didnt have it in stock so went with the X6 R8000. Its a great machine. How many concurrent devices have you connected?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭geo88

I have, but I understand the chipset in the R7800 was better, so I went with that. My router is reporting 17 attached devices currently. Some are wired in though and a lot of them have bandwidth requirements. I'm very happy with my router overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

geo88 wrote: »
    I have, but I understand the chipset in the R7800 was better, so I went with that. My router is reporting 17 attached devices currently. Some are wired in though and a lot of them have bandwidth requirements. I'm very happy with my router overall.

The nighthawk range can in theory run up to 32 devices per channel. No a max of 64 in total, but there would be some slow down if you ran that many concurrent;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

"Speeds on wifi are close to 360mb, but only in the same room as where the modem is, once you move to the kitchen it drops considerably and then upstairs to the bedrooms is down to about 10/15mb, which dont get me wrong, is fine for what we need it for. Its just the constant dropping is the problem."

Before you buy any new device keep in mind the issues you have may not go away given that 5Ghz wifi has a very short range and not great through walls like two rooms away or another floor. The symptoms you experiencing seem normal for that band. If you just used 2.4Ghz wifi band for non hardwired devices and see if that improves your throughput as getting another access point may not solve your networking issue. Unless the 2nd access is going in the room with low throughput I guess.

Advertisement