Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mechanical Hot Water Cylinder Temperature Valve

Options
  • 25-05-2020 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi,

Sorry, I've 3 questions:

Do you recommend any brand for a mechanical thermostatic valve for the hot press?

Also, I would like to know if it can be installed by myself or better to have a plumber?

I assume that I can set up the thermostatic valve to 65 Celsius so I assume the gas boiler will stop working? I mean... the thermostatic valve only is for knowing the cylinder temperature but has not a specific function?

Please see pictures attached.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

You be better off getting proper heating controls installed as I see a motorised valve off in the hot press so you system must be zoned in some way.
    With proper heating controls you could press a button and it would heat hot water or radiators separately. The hot water would have a thermostat so when the water gets to 65 degrees it will automatically turn off the gas boiler. This is known as boiler interlock.
    Those mechanical thermostatic cylinder valves arent great to get the best efficiencies out of your system because as the water heats up it doesnt send a signal back to the boiler so the boiler will continue to run and short cycle.
    There is a grant available for heating controls if your house was built before 2006 of 700 euro and looking at your set up there you could have a very good system without a big cost to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kaldo

You are right. I've a zoned rads system with Sunvic motorized valves that are not running neither.

Can I actually install a boiler interlock by myself or I need a professional to do so? Do you know what grand is that? I want something that automatically turn off the gas boiler when the cylinder reaches 65 degrees instead of having a mechanical thermostatic cylinder valve that only notifies it.

Thanks in advance

One more thing... what is the function of the valve then when supposedly the mechanical thermostatic valve should be placed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Kaldo wrote: »
    One more thing... what is the function of the valve then when supposedly the mechanical thermostatic valve should be placed?

Unfortunately you cant touch gas boiler unless your rgi registered. A cable would need to be brought from the hot press to the boiler to achieve boiler interlock. If you check out the Seai web site for heating controls grant you can apply from there. As long as the house was built before 2006 you will get the grant.
    The thermostatic Cylinder valve just closes down the flow of water through the coil when the hot water cylinder reaches temperature but it doesnt turn off the boiler. You would still have water flowing through the by pass valve which would be a waste of heat and gas in the long run.
    Two motorised valves in the hot press would be the better option one for the radiators and the other for hot water. These be controlled by a cylinder thermostat and a room stat so way when the set temperatures are reached the valves close and turn off the gas boiler.

Man... you're a legend! I've had 2 plumbers in my place and they were not capable to explain it to me in the way you did it. You're talking like if you're in my place right now looking at the hot press. Very accurate explanation.

Are you a plumber? Can I hire you? XD

• Advertisement
Advertisement