Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steer me please

Options
  • 24-05-2020 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭

Looking for a bit of guidance please.

I have Eir FTTH 1gb, and use their F2000(?) router. The router lives in a small room upstairs with a switch and various other bits and pieces. The house is wired cat6 to every room and currently I have two TP-links in different rooms set up as access points. I just turned the DHCP off on them and plugged them in and it works ok(ish). I am not sure tbh if I need to disable/enable something else on them.

Problem is moving around/roaming between rooms. I used to have the router and tp links broadcast same SSID and password but that caused issue, so now i have different SSIDs and it's a bit better.

Something odd happens when I roam. If I move from room 1 to room 2, my phone takes ages to connect and get an IP. I presume this is because the f2000 that is looking after IPs is confused that the same device is trying to connect again because it prob thinks it's already connected via the access point in room 1?

Another quirk is that when i do get connected i have local access only but no web. I can browse to internal addresses but not get out on the web. After maybe 3-4 mins, the web will work and all is good. First world problem though is having to wait that time. Any ideas what may be causing this?

Thinking of buying a deco mesh system in the hopes just having one big wifi network over the house, and forget about it but not sure it will work that well?

Thanks for any input.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Yes, a deco mesh system sounds like it would be great for you. You should only have to use one SSID throughout the house or perhaps two if you want to split 2.4 and 5G. I expect it would fix all of the quirks in your current setup.

Just to add I came across this about the Deco system today, in a thread that is all about mesh systems. There seems to be a few people with Deco mesh systems so you might get a better response in there.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113545762&postcount=356

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Thinking now of going ubiquiti, as their access points are well rated. Gonna call broadband buyer tomorrow for advice. Thanks for your (y)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Another quirk is that when i do get connected i have local access only but no web. I can browse to internal addresses but not get out on the web. After maybe 3-4 mins, the web will work and all is good. First world problem though is having to wait that time. Any ideas what may be causing this?

Thats a config issue. A 2 min fix should sort that.

Have you connected the TPs via their WAN port?

ED E wrote: »
    Thats a config issue. A 2 min fix should sort that.

Have you connected the TPs via their WAN port?

No they are on LAN port with DHCP switched off. Other than that I don't think I changed any settings. Thanks

• Advertisement

So ditched the tp link and installed this...

IMG-20200529-WA0018.jpg

So far so good with range and coverage. Is there any way to make a device smarter to jump to stronger WiFi sooner on Android?

Sometimes my phone still hangs on to the weak signal from a room I have moved from.

Thanks

Looks great, is it connected to ethernet at the back?

Sorry, no idea how to get a connection to drop quicker although I'm sure it would be possible

Looks great, is it connected to ethernet at the back?

Sorry, no idea how to get a connection to drop quicker although I'm sure it would be possible

Yeah it's ethernet at back, it gets 1gb as well as power from a single ethernet cable making install really simple.

Advertisement