Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Call Countdown

Options
  • 24-05-2020 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭

Hey all. I've put together a little web app that you can use for hosting Countdown games over video calls. I was looking through the recent posts on here and I thought it might be something some of you would like to try.

https://surelook.github.io/countdown/

It's not much, but I've been trying it out with some friends and we've had a good laugh.

By the way. The conundrum set is from Cat's Does Countdown. So, you know, just be conscious of the content.

Sure look, enjoy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

ULMarc wrote: »
    Hey all. I've put together a little web app that you can use for hosting Countdown games over video calls. I was looking through the recent posts on here and I thought it might be something some of you would like to try.

https://surelook.github.io/countdown/

It's not much, but I've been trying it out with some friends and we've had a good laugh.

By the way. The conundrum set is from Cat's Does Countdown. So, you know, just be conscious of the content.

Sure look, enjoy!

Maybe I’m missing something but it’s not sized correctly for an iPad, could not see any letters and only about a third of each number. Love the idea though!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ULMarc

Yeah. Prob best use it on a desktop browser. I originally only put it together to use for the family so never put in any work to test it on other devices.

Though, if you were to turn you iPad landscape it may be fine. Not sure at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Yeah. Prob best use it on a desktop browser. I originally only put it together to use for the family so never put in any work to test it on other devices.

Though, if you were to turn you iPad landscape it may be fine. Not sure at the mo.

Yeah I tried that but no joy... fair play though great idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Just had a quick look on a mobile and it looks amazing, well done!

I'll definitely have a proper play later, thanks for the share :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

It looks brilliant - thank you!

• Advertisement

This looks cool. I opened it on my iPhone. I could select the letters but they remained as blue boxes. I’ll look again on a desktop later.

Countdown clock was perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

We can give this a shot at the virtual beers on Saturday!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

That is fugging awesome. Well done. I am gonna get some good use out of it. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

OMG this is amazing! Well done Marc! I'll be using this.

Thanks for the warm feedback guys. I hope it puts smiles on faces. It's always gotten a good reaction whenever I've tried it out on Zoom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,026 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

very nice. sher we might play some on sat night!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Worked well on Saturday. Though it seemed to have trouble reaching the number target that we managed to get - three different ways.

quickbeam wrote: »
    Worked well on Saturday. Though it seemed to have trouble reaching the number target that we managed to get - three different ways.

What do you mean? When you tried to generate a solution?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Yep. The closest it got was one off, but three of us got the number in three different ways.

Yep. The closest it got was one off, but three of us got the number in three different ways.

Thanks for the feedback. It's much appreciated.

The game uses the same solving function as the one found here. http://www.maths-resources.com/countdown/. I'll need to generate a case where I can prove the calculation is incorrect. Something I don't think I'm personally that capable at :D. But I'll do my best to see if I can suss it out.

I hope you enjoyed what you got out of it though. If the situation ever arises again please feel welcome to take note of the number set and send a message to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Thanks for the feedback. It's much appreciated.

The game uses the same solving function as the one found here. http://www.maths-resources.com/countdown/. I'll need to generate a case where I can prove the calculation is incorrect. Something I don't think I'm personally that capable at :D. But I'll do my best to see if I can suss it out.

I hope you enjoyed what you got out of it though. If the situation ever arises again please feel welcome to take note of the number set and send a message to me.

I had the same issue, the target was 980 numbers were 100,75,8,6,1,1 and the solution only came to 981

Trigger wrote: »
    I had the same issue, the target was 980 numbers were 100,75,8,6,1,1 and the solution only came to 981

Excellent. Thanks to both you. I have that sorted now... I hope :D Fingers crossed the letter solver won't be buggy when it's ready.

Advertisement