Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serial An Bord Pleanala Objector

Options
  • 23-05-2020 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi Folks,

I would like to apply for planning in my local area, but was looking for some advice on this.

We have a local busy body who enjoys to occupy his time with making nuisance planning submissions to the Local Authority and an Board Pleanala, this individual has caused the local people thousands of euros in wasted applications for planning on their own lands, as he has simply taken them to an Bord Pleanala and had them overturned.

This individual has also family ties within the council planning dept, could this conflict of interest be used to invalidate his objections?

Any advice or experiences on how to deal with this would be appreciated.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

No that is not a conflict of interest.

If he does appeal, the bord has the discretion to reject an appeal on frivolous or vexatious grounds.

. Can the Board dismiss appeals?
    Yes. The Board has discretion to dismiss an appeal where it is satisfied the appeal is vexatious, frivolous or without substance or foundation or where the appeal is made with the sole intention of delaying development or of securing the payment of money, gifts, considerations or other inducement by any persons. The Board can also declare a planning application or an appeal withdrawn where it is satisfied it has been abandoned.

From here :
    http://www.pleanala.ie/guide/appeal_guide.htm#C27

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

gasMan12 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

We have a local busy body who enjoys to occupy his time with making nuisance planning submissions to the Local Authority and an Board Pleanala, this individual has caused the local people thousands of euros in wasted applications for planning on their own lands, as he has simply taken them to an Bord Pleanala and had them overturned.

you mean ABP overturned the planning or the appeal?

the sentence reads like he took them to ABP and the planning was over turned? in that case he would have had a point to object?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Penn

ec18 wrote: »
    you mean ABP overturned the planning or the appeal?

the sentence reads like he took them to ABP and the planning was over turned? in that case he would have had a point to object?

I'd have to agree. He must have had legitimate reasons for objecting, and ABP felt those objections to be strong enough to warrant refusing planning. Any ties he may have in the council's planning department (which I strongly doubt had any bearing regardless) wouldn't matter once it goes to ABP.

You can search the planning permissions which were refused on the Council's website, where the ABP report was probably uploaded too. This would explain the reasons why ABP decided to refuse permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

An objection by itself, shouldn't be enough to have a planning application refused. The council would have to feel the point raised in the objection was a valid enough reason enough to refuse permission.

So I'd recommend looking at this person's other objections, and the reasons given for refusal, and speak to your designer, see if you can preempt these reasons in your planning application.

Advertisement