Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile phone repeater

Options
  • 22-05-2020 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all,

I'm looking for info on mobile phone repeaters. Looking to use one in west clare to boost mobile phone signal (4g, 3g) and wondering has anyone set one up here and any other pointers.

Any information appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Delldweller

Me too
    Have terrible issues with fixed line broadband
    Drops out of sight for hours. Have a 4g Eircom signal in garden.
    Was wondering if garden or rooftop repeater would cure all. I’m in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 15,493 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Me too
    Have terrible issues with fixed line broadband
    Drops out of sight for hours. Have a 4g Eircom signal in garden.
    Was wondering if garden or rooftop repeater would cure all. I’m in Kildare

For 4g broadband an external aerial attached to an LTE router probably a better option if mobile voice isn't required.

https://signalsolution.novatel.ie/wireless-broadband-solution

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113368041
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112854551

ebyr wrote: »
    I'm looking for info on mobile phone repeaters. Looking to use one in west clare to boost mobile phone signal (4g, 3g) and wondering has anyone set one up here and any other pointers.

The reason I recommend Stelladoradus repeaters is because my brother has used one for couple of years now, he went through a few cheap Chinese imports which all let him down over time. He eventually came across one made in Ireland but at the time they were illegal to sell and use here and so had to purchase from a French seller.

Since then they have been legalised and his unit has been working flawlessly since we installed it a few years ago now.

Use this site to see what masts are available in your area - https://siteviewer.comreg.ie/#explore

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ebyr

The Cush wrote: »
    The reason I recommend Stelladoradus repeaters is because my brother has used one for couple of years now, he went through a few cheap Chinese imports which all let him down over time. He eventually came across one made in Ireland but at the time they were illegal to sell and use here and so had to purchase from a French seller.

Since then they have been legalised and his unit has been working flawlessly since we installed it a few years ago now.

Hi The Cush,

Cheers for the info. I had looked at all those sellers via Comreg. I should have added more info in my original post. They're a little pricey for me as only using a few weeks of the year while at the mobile home in Fanore, to get strong 3g 4g data signal on phone to hotspot laptop to be able to 'work from caravan'. I was hoping someone here would have experience with one in west Clare. I reckon the mast is about 5k away and obscured by 'the burren' no less. I'd have a clearer line of sight to the Aran Islands or Spiddal in Galway but both much further away, maybe 20k. I'm also just learning about repeaters and was wondering about widthbands. If the repeater says it does 4g for example, does this mean 4g voice calls, or is it actually referring to mobile data?

Thank you

• Advertisement

If the repeater says it does 4g for example, does this mean 4g voice calls, or is it actually referring to mobile data?

4G mobile data only, I don't believe any operator has implemented voice over LTE (VoLTE) here yet, unless you use something like WhatsApp. Voice is only available over 2G/3G.

For west Clare you're probably looking at an 800/900 MHz repeater to cover 2G/3G/4G for voice and data costing more than €600 for a legal one.

An LTE router would be a cheaper option for data.

Am I correct in saying the router option needs cable broadband or is it a completely different setup? I'll look into it today.

Thanks again

4G mobile data only, I don't believe any operator has implemented voice over LTE (VoLTE) here yet, unless you use something like WhatsApp. Voice is only available over 2G/3G.

For west Clare you're probably looking at an 800/900 MHz repeater to cover 2G/3G/4G for voice and data costing more than €600 for a legal one.

Just looking there. Would it be this you are referring to and then an external antenna to capture signal to router?
    https://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/networking-and-connectivity/modems-routers/tp-link-n300-wireless-4g-lte-router.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

These repeaters seem overpriced for the function they provide in a home.

The price might be worthwhile for a business with the needs, but they are too pricey for a lot of homes with similar needs, IMO.

I have that need, but the price is too steep.
    I can get signal at a couple of windows and a door, so when necessary that is where mobile calls are made from.
    Mostly I use VOIP because of this.

Just looking there. Would it be this you are referring to and then an external antenna to capture signal to router?
    https://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/networking-and-connectivity/modems-routers/tp-link-n300-wireless-4g-lte-router.html

Yes, if you're in a weak signal area an external antenna would be recommended. I haven't used one so I wouldn't be able to offer any particular advice but lots of discussion elsewhere on the forum, do a search for LTE router.

• Advertisement

Yes, if you're in a weak signal area and external antenna would be recommended. I haven't used one so I wouldn't be able to offer any particular advice but lots of discussion elsewhere on the forum, do a search for LTE router.

Will do, thanks for your help.

These repeaters seem overpriced for the function they provide in a home.

The price might be worthwhile for a business with the needs, but they are too pricey for a lot of homes with similar needs, IMO.

They are expensive but if you have no other option for an indoor mobile signal they are essential, hence the reason for their legalisation. As i said previously I have have direct experience of installing and using one of them, from no signal to full signal indoors.

They are expensive but if you have no other option for an indoor mobile signal they are essential, hence the reason for their legalisation. As i said previously I have have direct experience of installing and using one of them, from no signal to full signal indoors.

Oh yes, I have no doubt they work as described.
    It is the cost/benefit for home use, as opposed to business/home-working that I question.
    This is especially true when you consider that the modern phones will work on all bands but unless you get the top of the range repeater you are limited to which bands you can use.
    So purely from a consumer point of view, to have comparable functionality of the phone indoors and outdoors, costs in excess of €1,500.

:(

The reason many will go with the cheaper illegal imports. My brother had a few but eventually were a waste of cash.

For some the expense will be worth it against going outside to make or take a call in any weather.

The reason many will go with the cheaper illegal imports. My brother had a few but eventually were a waste of cash.

For some the expense will be worth it against going outside to make or take a call in any weather.

Yes I agree some will pay the cost.
    That cost just does not seem reasonable to me is all - but then I am a cheapskate! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

dup

I got a mid tier one. It works great but two problems. Like a lot of Irish homes my house is not one single unit and the signal gets slowed by various concrete walls so be very thoughtful about where you place it. I wish I got the most expensive option now as some phone companies will change frequently from day to day.

I got a mid tier one. It works great but two problems. Like a lot of Irish homes my house is not one single unit and the signal gets slowed by various concrete walls so be very thoughtful about where you place it. I wish I got the most expensive option now as some phone companies will change frequently from day to day.

It seems, to be anywhere near sure of future compatibility (change of provider for instance could mean a change of frequency used) the top of the range device is the only answer, or so it appears to me.

Thick walls and concrete first floors can be a problem, in such cases an add-on indoor antenna can sort it.

On the frequency change, all mobile operators are licensed across a range of frequencies and your phone will try to access the best one. Generally in rural areas the frequencies used will be the lower ones, 800/900 MHz, while in urban areas the four frequency bands are used, 800/900/1800/2100 MHz. You will have to choose, based on your budget, which frequency range repeater is most suitable for your house.

Thick walls and concrete first floors can be a problem, in such cases an add-on indoor antenna can sort it.

On the frequency change, all mobile operators are licensed across a range of frequencies and your phone will try to access the best one. Generally in rural areas the frequencies used will be the lower ones, 800/900 MHz, while in urban areas the four frequency bands are used, 800/900/1800/2100 MHz. You will have to choose, based on your budget, which frequency range repeater is most suitable for your house.

They discourage a second indoor antenna as they say it splits the signal but I admit I have never tried it. I dont have thick concrete walls. Single leaf block walls only 4″ but it will hit more than one wall due to the partitions.

• Advertisement

They discourage a second indoor antenna as they say it splits the signal but I admit I have never tried it. I dont have thick concrete walls. Single leaf block walls only 4″ but it will hit more than one wall due to the partitions.

Foil backed insulation might be as bad in a modern home.

This is a second antenna kit being sold by Novatel - https://signalsolution.novatel.ie/stelladoradus-addons-accessories/stelladoradus-2ndantenna-kit

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭whereto now

What's the average price to have a repeater installed, I'm buying one but they don't install in my area. Cavan/monaghan

What's the average price to have a repeater installed, I'm buying one but they don't install in my area. Cavan/monaghan

Id say it varies a lot as some good handy men could do it so it can be done cheaply. Try to plan out what room you want it in as the signal only travels so far, where you can run the cable discreetly and ensure you have a solid wall between the unit and antenna.

Easy enough to install yourself, an aerial/satellite installer will also do the job. Point the aerial in the general direction of your nearest mobile base station.

Mobile base stations in your area can be found on Comreg's siteviewer website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

I picked up the "TP-Link Archer MR600 AC1200..." of amazon. It's working well up in the attic. Going to try external aerials for it next to try and get better again reception. They are all sorts of money but i have a feeling this will do the job... https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01N0ZGL1D/?_encoding=UTF8&aaxitk=ZpD3YNyMaj3MKMR7W2hckg&hsa_cr_id=6584240350602&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_scm_asin_0_title&pd_rd_w=s3Slx&pf_rd_p=0926123a-ca8b-47b9-9564-867f3db72bf3&pd_rd_wg=gVNl5&pf_rd_r=EQ9V79Y91S215SZ9WP2N&pd_rd_r=8c1f9c8a-91f1-4dc0-a124-fcf63f51a996

I'm try to figure out do the antennae on the router both send and recieve or what way they work. You could always run a ethernet cable to a booster if you had trouble with the signal from phone to router.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

Novatel seems to all start of at 600 quid is it really that bad ?

Advertisement