Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I face penalties for failed wild bird cover crops?

Options
  • 22-05-2020 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi All,
    Hope you can help, our Bird Cover sown under the Green, Low-Carbon, Agri-Environmental Scheme (GLAS) has failed to germine and was severely impacted by the lack of rain over the past eight weeks.
    Can anyone advise, should I replant ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

Hi All,
    Hope you can help, our Bird Cover sown under the Green, Low-Carbon, Agri-Environmental Scheme (GLAS) has failed to germine and was severely impacted by the lack of rain over the past eight weeks.

It’ll be different in a week. Keep dockets

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

wildflower seeds can take a long time to germinate.
    I sewed in 2018 and thought they all had failed.

However late summer the field came alive.
    Major drought at the time as well.

Sorry cant help re penalties if they don't germinate, but as long as you keep the receipts for seed and work done etc I presume you would have a case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Hi All,

In the same boat here. Wouldn’t worry too much about it. It’ll grow something green in the next couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Cavanjack wrote: »
    In the same boat here. Wouldn’t worry too much about it. It’ll grow something green in the next couple of weeks

weather due beautiful this week too. Surely you can improvise re watering efforts or reseeding - it’d be the first question in damage limitation I’d ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭garyc007

Did you sow it very early? It should not have failed already. If you are sure it has you need to re seed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Tileman

Op if it hasn’t germinated yet you will be fine as next two weeks look dry anyway. Most of these deeds are quite hardy. I remember the 2018 drought allot of crops looked very bad for a few weeks but still managed ok later in the year. There will be plenty of people in the same boat. Don’t worry too much about it.

Advertisement