Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Mortgage on house in Cork

Options
  • 22-05-2020 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

My husband and I live in Midlands and have 2 permanent jobs and good savings for deposit for a house.
    We have a chat with Bank on Mortgage next week.
    Do you guys think it's possible to get a mortgage with those 2 jobs in Midlands for a house in Cork ??
    I don't know what to say if she asks us "you're buying to live, how are you going to commute from Cork? nearly 3 hours? " ...

Any advise is welcome ! :) thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Honestly, my advice is, don't seek important financial advice from random, unqualified strangers on the Internet.

I'm not trying to be mean. It is genuine advice.

See a mortgage broker, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

dilo1992 wrote: »
    Hi,

My husband and I live in Midlands and have 2 permanent jobs and good savings for deposit for a house.
    We have a chat with Bank on Mortgage next week.
    Do you guys think it's possible to get a mortgage with those 2 jobs in Midlands for a house in Cork ??
    I don't know what to say if she asks us "you're buying to live, how are you going to commute from Cork? nearly 3 hours? " ...

Any advise is welcome ! :) thank you

I think anyone would want to know the answer to this?...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

You've asked the obvious question the bank will ask you. Why are you buying in Cork if you work in the Midlands? There's no good answer to that unless you're buying it to rent it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If you're planning on renting then it's a terrible idea to be honest and even more so now...

Rates will drop as there won't be demand and many more will most likely be on hap as so many now won't have a job to go back to....

You will be liable for tax on a rental, different mortgage altogether, LL insurance etc etc....

Then be prepared for to cover the mortgage for at least a year before you can get non paying tenants out....

The bank will definitely want to know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dilo1992

Thank you, that helps a lot :) I think we will just have to get new jobs in Cork , move and then re-apply.

Have a nice weekend all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 dilo1992

namloc1980 wrote: »
    You've asked the obvious question the bank will ask you. Why are you buying in Cork if you work in the Midlands? There's no good answer to that unless you're buying it to rent it out?

I initially moved to Midlands cause that's where my husband is from, but I was raised in the city and that's where we decided to settle

dilo1992 wrote: »
    I initially moved to Midlands cause that's where my husband is from, but I was raised in the city and that's where we decided to settle

Ah I see. To be honest there's no hope of getting a mortgage in Cork until you have stable employment on Cork.

If you can pay midlands housing cost and mortgage in Cork on current salaries, pass stress test etc etc it's likely a Cork property purchase could be mortgaged if ye earn enough and have a demonstrated history of saving enough etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Ah I see. To be honest there's no hope of getting a mortgage in Cork until you have stable employment on Cork.

That's patently untrue. We currently live and work in Dublin and are bidding in Cork, mortgage approved by 3 banks. If you can remote work from home it doesn't matter where you buy a house. I won't be going back to the office after all of this either, maybe a day a week or so on the train, that's it. Better quality of life

That's patently untrue. We currently live and work in Dublin and are bidding in Cork, mortgage approved by 3 banks. If you can remote work from home it doesn't matter where you buy a house. I won't be going back to the office after all of this either, maybe a day a week or so on the train, that's it. Better quality of life

Long distance working from home isn't an option for everyone. Fair play it is for you but not for a large swathe of people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

How can you make such a sweeping statement? I've never seen that as a condition on any mortgage application.

pwurple wrote: »
    How can you make such a sweeping statement? I've never seen that as a condition on any mortgage application.

I work in a financial institution - stable income and employment is pretty much a basic requirement for mortgage lending. Note sure what's so difficult to understand about that?? :confused:

If you work 200km from where you plan to buy expect to be asked questions about that i.e. is it a BTL property purchase; do you plan moving there at some stage and if so what impact will that have on your income / employment. Any underwriter worth their salt will take it into consideration and expect reasonable answers.

I work in a financial institution - stable income and employment is pretty much a basic requirement for mortgage lending. Note sure what's so difficult to understand about that?? :confused:

If you work 200km from where you plan to buy expect to be asked questions about that i.e. is it a BTL property purchase; do you plan moving there at some stage and if so what impact will that have on your income / employment. Any underwriter worth their salt will take it into consideration and expect reasonable answers.

Taking into consideration is a tad different to the 'no hope'
    spiel you posted previously.

Advertisement