Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ridge Capping Loose

Options
  • 22-05-2020 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

Is it unusual for ridge capping to become loose on a new roof?
    Roof was completed approx. 2-3 years ago. When I started working from home in my attic I noticed a tapping noise with every gust of wind. I got up on the roof and found a good number of the fibre-cement ridge caps were loose.
    The fixings themselves were tight i.e. to drive them in further took a good bit of effort.

I tightenend everything on the main ridge but today with first bit of wind in a while, I hear more rattling towards front of house i.e. another ridge. Should've checked them all.

Is expansion/contraction something to consider with fiber-cement?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Common from bad fitting.
    May need to be removed and re-bed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

Gumbo wrote: »
    Common from bad fitting.
    May need to be removed and re-bed in.

Re-bed in suggests the cap is bedded into something like mortar...is that what you mean?
    Mine are screwed down using one long hex head screw per cap. They weren't always rattling though hence the question re. expansion/contraction. Maybe they were'nt seated properly though and moved into a more comfortable position with the storms we've had and are now loose.

This probably warrants a separate post, but something I notice in freezing temps is a lot of loud cracking. I can only imagine the slates are moving, again expanding or contracting. Very loud and can last over a number of hours at night time...a real WTF moment the first time I heard it.

Advertisement