Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

teach social skills

Options
  • 21-05-2020 5:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Should kids be taught social skills in school? It seems to me that single sex schooling along with latchkey kid parenting has resulted in a lot of socially awkward people, in particular men.

All these threads in AH about Tinder, courtship, and dating prove it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

Ah here

• Registered Users Posts: 16,631 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Parents should parent, schools shouldn't have to take care of every aspect of a child's development from 5-18.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,415 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

To be fair, you’re starting most of those threads yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

and so many of these threads started by

Eh.....

mr_fegelien

:D

If there is a thread about it on after hours then it must be true

Well done OP!

Well done!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Parents should parent, schools shouldn't have to take care of every aspect of a child's development from 5-18.

What about parents who don't have time to teach or even worse, don't have adequate social skills? I think we should put away the idea that parents should teach kids everything. There are more incompetent parents today

• Advertisement

I kind of half think the focus on psychology etc over the last hundred years has been a bad thing..

Sometimes I think that..I'm not sure how it makes me feel..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,631 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

What about parents who don't have time to teach or even worse, don't have adequate social skills? I think we should put away the idea that parents should teach kids everything. There are more incompetent parents today
    School can't be expected to pick up the slack, they should primarily focus on their main function.

Poor parenting skills will lead to less rounded children, but the state can't be expected to fund and provide everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jazz_jazz

School is probably the main place that children do learn social skills - taking turns, dealing with conflict, working in groups, sharing, speaking to an audience etc.

Advertisement