Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving on

Options
  • 20-05-2020 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I’m making plans to move myself and my children in with my new partner. We will be living in the same county that we currently reside in.

My ex husband has said that he won’t allow this to happen.

Can he legally prevent me from moving on with my life like this? The move won’t affect the access he has to his children.

We separated last year because he was having an affair and subsequently left me for the other woman so I don’t think it’s fair that he feels he can try and control my life in this way.

Thank you in advance for any replies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

What is your marital status, seperated? divorced?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,837 ✭✭✭893bet

I don’t think he can.

Off topic. Congrats on the new relationship. Given you are only with your new partner a year it might be very quick to move in with them and your kids. Have similar situation go south very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Crazy cake lady

Stanford wrote: »
    What is your marital status, seperated? divorced?

Separated. He left in September

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Crazy cake lady

893bet wrote: »
    I don’t think he can.

Off topic. Congrats on the new relationship. Given you are only with your new partner a year it might be very quick to move in with them and your kids. Have similar situation go south very fast.

Thank you.

We've no immediate plans to move in together but I need my ex to start getting his head around the way things are heading. He hasn't coped so well with me moving on so far so I just want him to be prepared rather than me upset him every time my relationship progresses

• Registered Users Posts: 26,243 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Court orders in place regarding the children?

If not, then you and he need to agree on all major questions about the children, including where they will live and what adults (other than you) will live with them.

So, yeah, you need to talk to him about this and try to secure his agreement. Start with, what's his objection to the kids living with your new partner? Presumably, when the kids stay with him, they are also with his new partner?

If you can't reach agreement about this it may end up in court. Avoid that if you can.

• Advertisement
Advertisement